Boats - an open thread

Alnwick boats.

EDuById.jpg

@woof woof --- Super photo, looked up the number KY 120

It appears to have been built as a Creel-boat

Ah. Bed time now but the thought of looking up boats appeals to me and I might have a go... Thank You :D

And as I'm here it would be rude not to post a picture... A pleasant day out in Scarborough.

EYYY43t.jpg

Last edited:
I was in Portsmouth Dockyard on Friday visiting HMS Victory and the Mary Rose museum when this little beauty popped in for a late lunch :)

View attachment 382649

I think that must be HMS ' Prince of Wales',Steve. It broke down off the Isle of Wight a while back, went to Rosyth for repairs to a coupling associated with the starboard propeller shaft and is now back here.

Graeme,

May I ask when you were in Vigo? The reason being that the Whitdawn, in the last image, is owned by Whitaker's of Hull and normally only trades around the UK and to near European ports. The fact that she has gone as far south as Vigo interests an old shipping anorak like me.

Graeme,

May I ask when you were in Vigo? The reason being that the Whitdawn, in the last image, is owned by Whitaker's of Hull and normally only trades around the UK and to near European ports. The fact that she has gone as far south as Vigo interests an old shipping anorak like me.
Hi,
Image taken on Tuesday 31st January this year.

Hi,

Thanks Graeme. With a date I'll be able to do some tracking of her movements.

Hi,

Mystery solved, it's a different, newer Whitdawn. This one was built in 2015 and bought by Whitaker's in 2018. She is Gibraltar based and it looks like she is chartered to one of the Gibraltar ship bunkering companies, which explains her being in Vigo. The other good thing is that finding this out has kept me occupied for an hour on a cold, wet, miserable morning.:)

I think that must be HMS ' Prince of Wales',Steve. It broke down off the Isle of Wight a while back, went to Rosyth for repairs to a coupling associated with the starboard propeller shaft and is now back here.
It's definitely Queen Elizabeth, I watched her dock. But just to be sure she's got RO8 marking on side of the navigation bridge, ship's ER emblem on the sides of the flying bridge, Queen Elizabeth name plate on the starboard stern quarter and the display on the rear of the flying bridge had the message "HMS Queen Elizabeth - The Nation's flagship" scrolling across the top. :)
qe.jpg
I think PoW is still at Rosyth as they've found more problems and the latest Navy report I saw (January 2023) said they didn't expect it back in service until "the Spring" - so maybe not too far away.

Back