weekly Bruja's 2015 52 CHRISTMAS and DONE!!!!

Thank you for the story behind the picture - the shot fits in very well with the theme and true companions go through thick and thin - enjoyed this one.

Just the arm, I want to know why it's at that angle, to see what he's holding on to. If it was at his side I don't think I would question it. It's a lovely image though, with a sense of closeness, I wouldn't have guessed it was staged. I love the hard light through the hair, and the processing overall.

Lovely picture even without the story Jill (y)

Thanks for blogging your interesting life story.

I thought you done very well. Its a selfie taken from a different angle! I like the duotone, sepia post processing. It gives that an old photography feel to the image which in a sense kind of suits your story of 24 years together if you know what I mean. :) If I've to be a tad picky the cables/wires are just a bit spoiling an otherwise a very good image.

Thanks for commenting. I know what you mean about the cables, and, in this part of Spain pretty much all cables are above ground :( and the sun was hitting those ones.

Hi again Jill :)
Such a romantic shot for companions......love the way its lit and the warm romance of the conversion. As ever, its made more appealing by the accompanying blog - clearly 3rd times the charm;) Good work on staging a candid-style shot too - i'm rubbish when I know whats coming:)

Thanks so much for the feedback, and definitely 3rd time lucky :p

I did LOL at the warranty bit, Jill :D

I'm glad you are still very much happy after all these years.
I love the image,
It works really well from behind like that (y)

Thanks Chris. It's my best side :cool:

What a cracking back story.

It's a well composed photograph, apart from the cropped arm, but minor point after that narrative.

Cheers and keep enjoying each other (y)

Thanks Andy, edit added below

Yes, that really meets the theme title and conveys a feeling of companionship. Technically good apart form a cropped arm and slightly too much rim lighting - but only a smidgen! Good work Jill

Thanks David, an edit above with a different crop :) :ty: for the feedback

Companions - a lovely idea for the theme and a good image to suit the theme.

Hi Mandy, :ty:

What an emotive story. best Wishes to you both. A lovely photo and others have said about the arm.

Thanks Mandy :ty:, there's a different edit just above

Hi, write up which makes the picture work, very good indeed

Thanks Allan :ty:

Thank you for the story behind the picture - the shot fits in very well with the theme and true companions go through thick and thin - enjoyed this one.

Thanks so much Perry (y)

Well executed. Lovely photo.

Thanks Fabien and thanks for stopping by :ty:

Just the arm, I want to know why it's at that angle, to see what he's holding on to. If it was at his side I don't think I would question it. It's a lovely image though, with a sense of closeness, I wouldn't have guessed it was staged. I love the hard light through the hair, and the processing overall.

Hi Nick and thanks so much for the feedback. I've added an edit a couple of posts above that includes the arm so you can satisfy your curiosity ;)

Lovely picture even without the story Jill (y)

Thanks Simon and thanks for taking the time to look and comment :)

Thanks David, an edit above with a different crop :) :ty: for the feedback

Yes, Jill, that has resolved it for me. Do you think that a bit of corner vignette would make it even better. I am not normally a fan of such treatment but in this case it might just help take a bit of brightness out of the top right hand corner? That being said, I really like the feeling you have created. Great work

Hi Jill :)

Sorry... a late visit from me, I can't believe I am so many behind !!

Patterns - Beautifully and a pattern from nature, spot on :) colourful leaf, a nice bright background, but I'm going for the second shot, really like the negative space and the shadowy detail :)

Bliss - Damn that first is a powerful pic, certainly fits the theme for me, love the lighting and PP (y)

But I'm going for the beach shot, a very blissful shot, makes me feel warm for a change, great composition, good colours and a bang on horizon... like it (y)

Fragile - Torn between these two, I'm liking the first for the meaning but not so sure on the crop, and liking the colours and crop on the second shot :)

Scenic - I'm going to choose the 3rd shot, all three are nice shots, but the red pedalo just lifts the image for me and adds some foreground interest compared to the fully scenic other shots... now if you could put the sky from the second shot on the third that would be a killer :)

Companions - The edit shot for me, the description although very poignant isn't needed for me as the shot says it all, a lovely image :)

Hi Jill, that's a very well thought out shot. It really seems to sum up the back story. Great stuff

:clap:

Sorry... a late visit from me, I can't believe I am so many behind !!

Patterns - Beautifully and a pattern from nature, spot on :) colourful leaf, a nice bright background, but I'm going for the second shot, really like the negative space and the shadowy detail :)

Bliss - Damn that first is a powerful pic, certainly fits the theme for me, love the lighting and PP (y)

But I'm going for the beach shot, a very blissful shot, makes me feel warm for a change, great composition, good colours and a bang on horizon... like it (y)

Fragile - Torn between these two, I'm liking the first for the meaning but not so sure on the crop, and liking the colours and crop on the second shot :)

Scenic - I'm going to choose the 3rd shot, all three are nice shots, but the red pedalo just lifts the image for me and adds some foreground interest compared to the fully scenic other shots... now if you could put the sky from the second shot on the third that would be a killer :)

Companions - The edit shot for me, the description although very poignant isn't needed for me as the shot says it all, a lovely image :)

Thanks so much for dropping by, and even more for liking what I've posted :) I think I love you :kiss:;)

Companions

Hi Jill. Love the edited shot. And your story just adds to the photo.

Thanks so much Darren

Hi Jill, that's a very well thought out shot. It really seems to sum up the back story. Great stuff

:clap:

:ty: Lorraine

Excellent! I like the way you've caught the sun in your hair like that.

Hello again, and, firstly, an apology to all of those whose pics I didn't comment on last week. I'm having problems with fatigue and concentration at the moment so having to limit my time on here. As soon as I pick up I'll catch up - promise :rolleyes:

Secondly, I know what I wanted to do for this but so far haven't got the energy to do it so I fell back on Plan B ;)

When I took up photography a few years ago Mr B decided he needed to do something too so he took up wood carving. He started from scratch with an old olive log which he carved into an 'old man wood spirit' and he was off.... He has now carved about 40 different figures, plaques, and mythical creatures and when I saw the theme this week this figure immediately came to mind. It's wood but painted soft white to look like porcelain and to me screams elegance. I look forward to your comments and criticisms as usual :D

Elegant by BrujaJill, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Jill, what a talented husband you have!

I agree - very elegant, and very well shot too.

I hope you feel a bit better soon

:)

I'm liking the carving a lot, but for me the frame you had added to the photo is very over powering, if it was a tad thinner the well lit ornament would stand out much more for me, as is it is still very well lit, and with a great black background :)

Hi Jill, what a talented husband you have!

I agree - very elegant, and very well shot too.

I hope you feel a bit better soon

:)

Hi Lorraine, and yes, he is, in more ways than one :naughty:

Thanks so much, and today I do feel a bit better so onwards and upwards :p

A very talented Mr. B you have there Jill, at first glance I thought it was porcelain
until I read the narrative.
I'm in the no frame camp too (y)

Hi, very nice sculpture, looks very art deco, very elegant indeed, lighting looks good just needs something to ground it does look a little floaty

Hi Jill ....I love the carving, clever MrB and it fits the theme perfectly. It really stands out well against the stark black background ....very nice indeed.
I do like the frame but I think it would have worked better if you'd colour matched the frame to the figure and not done it so white.

A lovely elegant photo. I am with DK on this better without the frame. Your eye is then drawn straight to the image itself. Certainly looks like porcelain Well done to you both and it's good you can complement each others hobbies.

Another vote for without the frame super picture and a lovely sculpture. If you ever get bored of it box it up and send it me please i will look after it for you.

Hi Jill [emoji5]️. That's an amazing talent Mr B has! Was it modelled on you? Nicely taken photo, like the small shadow on the legs to give it just enough depth. I think I'm with the no frame lot though.

A very talented Mr. B you have there Jill, at first glance I thought it was porcelain
until I read the narrative.
I'm in the no frame camp too (y)

Thanks Chris :D

Hi, very nice sculpture, looks very art deco, very elegant indeed, lighting looks good just needs something to ground it does look a little floaty

Thanks for looking, and as for the lighting it's just window light :)

#1 for me, the border really suits the subject.

Overall nice lighting, just a few slightly darker areas, but nice clean BG.

Cheers.

Hi Andy, judging by the comments I've split the voters on frame/no frame :p, and I know how much you like a pristine background:D

Hi Jill ....I love the carving, clever MrB and it fits the theme perfectly. It really stands out well against the stark black background ....very nice indeed.
I do like the frame but I think it would have worked better if you'd colour matched the frame to the figure and not done it so white.

Thanks Susie, glad you like it. And as for matching the frame colour, I might have if I knew how :p Adjusting canvas size is the only thing I know how to do in Photoshop :rolleyes:

Excellent picture for the Elegant theme.

Thanks Perry, and thanks for stopping by again (y)

Elegant - the first for me as I love the framing around the image, Mr B certainly is very talented. I hope you begin to feel better soon, great image.

Thank you so much :ty:

Yep, that's elegant, with or without frame. (y)

Thanks David

A lovely elegant photo. I am with DK on this better without the frame. Your eye is then drawn straight to the image itself. Certainly looks like porcelain Well done to you both and it's good you can complement each others hobbies.

Thanks Mandy, keeps us out of mischief ;)

Another vote for without the frame super picture and a lovely sculpture. If you ever get bored of it box it up and send it me please i will look after it for you.

Hahahahha, glad you like it Simon :D

Hi Jill [emoji5]️. That's an amazing talent Mr B has! Was it modelled on you? Nicely taken photo, like the small shadow on the legs to give it just enough depth. I think I'm with the no frame lot though.

Hi Ferg, hahahahh, how can I put this, my sweaters are larger :naughty: :whistle: Glad you like it.

That's pretty elegant. I like the graphic element the frame gives it, and the simplicity of hard black and white with just enough shadow to show it's 3D nature.

Certainly is an elegant carving, he must have the patience of Job!
Like Chris, I would have said porcelain as it looks so smooth.
Nicely lit too :)

Hi Jill,
Wonderful image for your companions, your last edit being my favourite,(y)
Elegant, WOW !! What a beautiful figure, very well captured, I'm not against the framed look, so it's #1 for me too.
Hope you feel better soon by the way.:)

Borderless for me. What an amazing piece!

It's been beautifully lit, with some very subtle shadows which work well with the stark black & white of the main image/background. I'd prefer a little room to the right (allowing the subject some space to "walk" into) but that's a minor thing. In fact I wonder whether I am just thick because I didn't see a figure at all until I really looked at it... A lovely photograph this week.

Hi Jill,
Wonderful image for your companions, your last edit being my favourite,(y)
Elegant, WOW !! What a beautiful figure, very well captured, I'm not against the framed look, so it's #1 for me too.
Hope you feel better soon by the way.:)

Thanks so much..... my first WOW :ty:

Borderless for me. What an amazing piece!

It's been beautifully lit, with some very subtle shadows which work well with the stark black & white of the main image/background. I'd prefer a little room to the right (allowing the subject some space to "walk" into) but that's a minor thing. In fact I wonder whether I am just thick because I didn't see a figure at all until I really looked at it... A lovely photograph this week.

Thanks you Ian, glad you like it :)

Once again the border less works for me, but then again I'm not a fan of borders in general :) I agree though that it is well lit (y)

Thanks Chris (y)

Back