weekly Bruja's 2015 52 CHRISTMAS and DONE!!!!

First of I have too say, the first one is a damned fine idea,
As I had exactly the same thought.

Secondly I have to say you can go right off some people,
I'll have to go re-shoot (pun not intended) something else as I can't post mine now :p

Heheheheheh

Should have been quicker off the mark then shouldn't you :p............
:p you do realise that I can make that dissappear without a trace though :p
(As if I would :D )
I'll just put it down to great minds think alike (y)

:p you do realise that I can make that dissappear without a trace though :p
(As if I would :D )
I'll just put it down to great minds think alike (y)

But I've got DarkStar and Marcel on my side and you won't get any Jaffa Cakes :eek:

And you could still post your pic anyway :)

But I've got DarkStar and Marcel on my side and you won't get any Jaffa Cakes :eek:
And you could still post your pic anyway :)
John has gracefully retired from the nut house, and I'm bigger than Marcel
so :p

I'll just re-think it TBH :)

Wow- great idea for bliss, just hope we don't get "addiction" as a theme haha!

Do like them both!

Jill, I always looked forward to seeing your submissions when we did the 52 together in '09. Really pleased to say they're even better than they were back then. Great start!

Wow- great idea for bliss, just hope we don't get "addiction" as a theme haha!

Do like them both!

I hope we don't either and glad you like them.

Jill, I always looked forward to seeing your submissions when we did the 52 together in '09. Really pleased to say they're even better than they were back then. Great start!

Dizzy, great to here from you again and thanks for the compliment :ty:

I like the addict one although I would like to see it a little more grungy.

Thanks Mark, what do you suggest if I do a reshoot later? Thanks for dropping by.

#2 beach is oh so blissful

#1 erm ... love the shadows and hte make-up.

Well there's two images I didn't expect to see together![emoji1] the beach scene is lovely and clear but I really love the drugs image - so contrasty and just screams at you to look at it for longer. Love it.

Two images that are polar opposites but both gig the theme, two great images but I like the idea of number 1 and how the image is lit. Thumbs up from me.

#2 beach is oh so blissful

#1 erm ... love the shadows and hte make-up.

Thanks David and #1 is a bit 'in your face'.....

Well there's two images I didn't expect to see together![emoji1] the beach scene is lovely and clear but I really love the drugs image - so contrasty and just screams at you to look at it for longer. Love it.

Hahaha, I know what you mean, the 2 sides of Bliss...... Glad you like them, and #1 is my fave but I needed/wanted to shoot something new for the challenge so the beach it was, but it seems a bit boring to me :(

Love the beach shot it has a good split of sand,sea & sky. I would love to see the same shot but with the sand raked to give the feeling that nobody else ever visited the beach, now that would be bliss!

Love the beach shot it has a good split of sand,sea & sky. I would love to see the same shot but with the sand raked to give the feeling that nobody else ever visited the beach, now that would be bliss!

Thanks Colin, and, as they were a couple of strangers, they might have got suspicious if I started smoothing out the sand :facepalm:

Hi, #1 is a powerful submission but an archive shot :p

#2 makes be go 'aahhhhhhhhh'. Well composed and decent light. Pity there were no clouds :)

Cheers and welcome aboard.

Hi Jill. I really like #1 for Bliss... very dark and perfectly on theme. It's a shame it's an archive shot but still well remembered and certainly well shot back then. Nice lighting too, which really adds to the meaning.

Great job!

Wow that was not what i would have thought of in a million years.
Two great pics both dark and light

Hi, #1 is a powerful submission but an archive shot :p

#2 makes be go 'aahhhhhhhhh'. Well composed and decent light. Pity there were no clouds :)

Cheers and welcome aboard.

Thanks Andy

Thank you

Hi Jill. I really like #1 for Bliss... very dark and perfectly on theme. It's a shame it's an archive shot but still well remembered and certainly well shot back then. Nice lighting too, which really adds to the meaning.

Great job!

Glad you liked it :)

Wow that was not what i would have thought of in a million years.
Two great pics both dark and light

Thanks so much, and thanks for dropping by :D

FRAGILE
Is it only week 2? It feels like I've been doing this forever already :eek: But at least it has had the desired effect as my camera goes almost everywhere with me again - not that I go very far :rolleyes:

When I did this Challenge in 2009 I used to write a sort of blog thing to go with the pictures (although I don't think blogs had been invented back then :p), anyhow, this is the kind of picture I would write about......

Back in the day (1990 to be precise) I was happy(ish) and healthy(ish), and then I wasn't! Odd things started to happen to me. I would trip going up stairs, I couldn't walk in a straight line, I was dizzy, and absolutely knackered a lot of the time, and I had double vision. Reading this back makes it sound like I was drunk all of the time, but, unfortunately, I wasn't. After an emergency admittance to hospital, a lumbar puncture (aaaagh :() and an MRI I was told I had Multiple Sclerosis.........

Fast forward 25 years and here I am. I'm weaker than I was and I can't do as much as I used to as the fatigue is overwhelming and feels like jet lag, so I apologise if some weeks I don't comment on as many submissions as I would like. I've had to change cameras from a Canon 5D MkII to a Sony A7 as I just can't manage the weight anymore. I'm much more prone to falling and 18 months ago I had a bad one and broke my left ankle and badly sprained the right one at the same time putting me in the wheelchair for 2 months. I still need the chair if I have to walk any distance as the spasms in my legs make it difficult and painful.

This isn't a pity party however :D If it weren't for having MS I would never have ended up here in Spain, nor would I have taken up photography back in 2009 as something I could do when I felt ok, and, like today, could sit in bed and edit stuff.

Health is something we take for granted and yet it is such a fragile thing. Make the most of yours!

Fragile by BrujaJill, on Flickr

And something a little lighter, the fragility of a Jasmine blossom. Within an hour of picking it starts to shrivel and brown. I know it is soft but I like it that way :p

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pQ3gqs]Fragile by BrujaJill, on Flickr[/URL]

Last edited:
Hey Jill, I think accompanying text always works - whether it's a commentary on the photography technique, or the reasoning behind the image.

Your B&W rendition could (for me) do with a touch more brightness & contrast, but then I prefer that in B&W shots. That furry coat would really benefit from being a bit more contrasty. You have a great eye for composition. From the general framing, to the position of limbs - legs frame the shot, arms in a downward "v" leading the eye to the hands which meet at the intersection of the wheelchair cross bar. It's a brilliant take on the theme, and your story only adds to that.

Health is something we take for granted and yet it is such a fragile thing. Make the most of yours!

Best advice of the year so far.

Hi again Jill and thank you for the little blog ...it's much more interesting when we know a little more about one another ...well it is for me, and you're right our health is very precious indeed.

I really like the composition of the first one, from the criss cross background, to the hands, the frame, the angle of your feet, it all combines well, b&w is a perfect choice too.

The softness of the jasmine emphasises the fragility of the flower, a smashing background.

Hi, the first fragile pic works superbly with your explanation and have to agree with Ian and Susie above regarding the composition, excellent
the writing just takes it to a different level :clap:

Hi Jill - thanks for sharing. your fragile shots fit the theme so well. Love the B&W shot - and the composition is great (all the criss-crossing & the floor also) :)

Hi, Jill, with the number of submissions to comment on I wasn't going to read your narrative, but I'm glad I did, very inspirational. I like the low angle and B&W.

Bliss, on theme and I was going to comment on it being soft, but if you like it that way (y)

Cheers.

Hey Jill, I think accompanying text always works - whether it's a commentary on the photography technique, or the reasoning behind the image.

Your B&W rendition could (for me) do with a touch more brightness & contrast, but then I prefer that in B&W shots. That furry coat would really benefit from being a bit more contrasty. You have a great eye for composition. From the general framing, to the position of limbs - legs frame the shot, arms in a downward "v" leading the eye to the hands which meet at the intersection of the wheelchair cross bar. It's a brilliant take on the theme, and your story only adds to that.

Best advice of the year so far.

Thank you so much. I know what you mean about the contrast/brightness but I quite like the darkness :p

Hi again Jill and thank you for the little blog ...it's much more interesting when we know a little more about one another ...well it is for me, and you're right our health is very precious indeed.

I really like the composition of the first one, from the criss cross background, to the hands, the frame, the angle of your feet, it all combines well, b&w is a perfect choice too.

The softness of the jasmine emphasises the fragility of the flower, a smashing background.

So kind, thanks for looking and commenting.

Hi, the first fragile pic works superbly with your explanation and have to agree with Ian and Susie above regarding the composition, excellent
the writing just takes it to a different level :clap:

Thank you so much.

Hi Jill, well what can I say after reading your little blog about yourself and the shot (1st) just fit the theme so appropriately.

Thanks for sharing your story.

You're welcome :D

Hi Jill - thanks for sharing. your fragile shots fit the theme so well. Love the B&W shot - and the composition is great (all the criss-crossing & the floor also) :)

Thank you

Hi, Jill, with the number of submissions to comment on I wasn't going to read your narrative, but I'm glad I did, very inspirational. I like the low angle and B&W.

Bliss, on theme and I was going to comment on it being soft, but if you like it that way (y)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

Hi Jill,
Quite a blog! It's one thing that is sacred your health!
Great pictures so I'm winding the film back now to start with the first frame (catch up time).

Patterns.... Love the leaf, the old light box is doing a good job! Great colours brown through to gold, I like the almost arterial look of the green edged veins in the leaf, very nice!

Love the simplicity of the singular fir cone. Great texture in the scales and nice contrast between the light and dark.
Very clean, and nice sharp focus, great!

Bliss..... Wow how dark is that! Anyhow for the viewers at home you will need 2 fairy liquid bottles, 1 cornflake box and 3 Cotten reels. Bet that's gone right over the head of most readers eh Petra!
Now where was I....? Ah yeah dark! I get your point.... Mis spent youth? Uummm very poignant, like the dark shadowy veiled look to this..... Bliss but only for a while I guess.....

I was kinda wondering where that beach was 23c in Jan! Not Bournemouth! Till I read your bloggie... Feel more comfortable here (landscape) nice dead level horizon, nice blue sea... Couple enjoying a nice quiet secluded beach .... Bliss?!

Fragile..... Yes we all are aren't we, I just see life through this bizarre window. You watch a racing car crash at 200mph and the driver throws his gloves out of the car and walks away. Trip over matchstick and smash your leg to bits? Fate or Destiny who knows....
Love this shot, very contrasty, great lines and angles.

Jasmine, like the soft look nice depth of field, can almost smell them.

Nice work Jill
Good luck for the rest of 52!

Hey Jill! Don't hold back on the narrative- it's good to know what drives people and where they've come from..... But I'm just nosey that way [emoji12]
Another strong B&W for fragile! Like the flower too, but the B&W says fragile immediately to me. Another cracking week![emoji4]

Hi Jill
Bliss.
#1 sorry not for me, just a personal thing.
# Lovely pictures, you we so lucky to get lovely weather.

Fragile
#1 bang on theme and i like it in B+W..
very poweful story to boot.

#2 a lovely photo with great DoF

Darren.

Thank you and thanks for looking.

Hi Jill,
Quite a blog! It's one thing that is sacred your health!
Great pictures so I'm winding the film back now to start with the first frame (catch up time).

Patterns.... Love the leaf, the old light box is doing a good job! Great colours brown through to gold, I like the almost arterial look of the green edged veins in the leaf, very nice!

Love the simplicity of the singular fir cone. Great texture in the scales and nice contrast between the light and dark.
Very clean, and nice sharp focus, great!

Bliss..... Wow how dark is that! Anyhow for the viewers at home you will need 2 fairy liquid bottles, 1 cornflake box and 3 Cotten reels. Bet that's gone right over the head of most readers eh Petra!
Now where was I....? Ah yeah dark! I get your point.... Mis spent youth? Uummm very poignant, like the dark shadowy veiled look to this..... Bliss but only for a while I guess.....

I was kinda wondering where that beach was 23c in Jan! Not Bournemouth! Till I read your bloggie... Feel more comfortable here (landscape) nice dead level horizon, nice blue sea... Couple enjoying a nice quiet secluded beach .... Bliss?!

Fragile..... Yes we all are aren't we, I just see life through this bizarre window. You watch a racing car crash at 200mph and the driver throws his gloves out of the car and walks away. Trip over matchstick and smash your leg to bits? Fate or Destiny who knows....
Love this shot, very contrasty, great lines and angles.

Jasmine, like the soft look nice depth of field, can almost smell them.

Nice work Jill
Good luck for the rest of 52!

Thank you so much, and yes, I just stepped off a very small kerb and my legs decided to go their own sweet way.....

Hey Jill! Don't hold back on the narrative- it's good to know what drives people and where they've come from..... But I'm just nosey that way [emoji12]
Another strong B&W for fragile! Like the flower too, but the B&W says fragile immediately to me. Another cracking week![emoji4]

Thanks so much. I'll try to keep the story going ;)
:agree: With the above comments two great shots for the theme.

Thank you :D

Jill, your first fragile shot is fantastic - I love it and the story it tells. A touch more exposure might work, but again for this theme, I am seeing quite a lot of "technically underexposed" shots which are all the better for it, because of how it conveys the story. As an image, I think it's super.

I'll be honest and say I'm less of a fan of the second image - I know you say you prefer it soft, but I'd rather have some of it in focus, personally. Never mind, I still love the first shot!

Hi Jill, the first is a very powerful shot, spot on with the mono conversion, and thank you for including the history behind it. :)

Just the one this week although I ended up with about 4 I could have used. Went up to the Embalse de Negratín yesterday. Embalse is Spanish for reservoir and is one of the few bodies of open water in this (very dry) part of Spain. It was quite an adventure with my poor balance and unstable walking and I nearly fell in a couple of times :eek: What we do for our 'art' :runaway:

At this time of the year here there is very little that is photogenic, mostly scrubland and pruned olive groves, but, in a couple of weeks time the hills will be flooded with almond blossom. Never mind, the themes fall when they fall.

SCENIC

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qyA61C]Scenic by BrujaJill, on Flickr[/URL]

Back