Carl's 2016 TP52 Challenge **Completed**

Abandoned - The back story makes the second one
Camouflage -- clever Idea made me smile
Danger - Great picture love the flame
Topical - I like the overspill good choice for the theme

Hi Carl - great take for this theme. I think you've lit it very well (I think simply, but simple works!) as the sugar sparkles, the cup & saucer have form without distracting hard shadows and all in all, it works well. Compositionally, I think a touch more space around it might help - as it is it feels very slightly cramped into the bottom right corner, but it's still a really, really good shot. You could probably even extend the canvas with content-aware fill in PS without reshooting anything!

Abandoned - The back story makes the second one Camouflage -- clever Idea made me smile Danger - Great picture love the flame Topical - I like the overspill good choice for the theme
Thank you.

Topical - a fitting subject, I think there's far to much sugar in drinks from those sorts of places. I like the image as it is I wouldn't change a thing, keep up the good work.
Thank you Mandy.

Hi Carl - great take for this theme. I think you've lit it very well (I think simply, but simple works!) as the sugar sparkles, the cup & saucer have form without distracting hard shadows and all in all, it works well. Compositionally, I think a touch more space around it might help - as it is it feels very slightly cramped into the bottom right corner, but it's still a really, really good shot. You could probably even extend the canvas with content-aware fill in PS without reshooting anything!
Thanks Paul. Had to look up "Contents Aware Fill" in PS - never used it before ... usually just clone. Just tried it out - my word, that is quite a powerful adjustment tool. May still have to clone the odd bit but the fill saved a heck of a lot of time. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Thanks Paul. Had to look up "Contents Aware Fill" in PS - never used it before ... usually just clone. Just tried it out - my word, that is quite a powerful adjustment tool. May still have to clone the odd bit but the fill saved a heck of a lot of time. Thanks for the suggestion :)

It's one the best features in CC (or whenever it was introduced way back). It's particularly handy for extending a canvas on product-type shots when you've run out of room on your backdrop or whatever and want more negative space. Useful for deleting spurious objects as well, of course, which is its main purpose...

:ROFLMAO: An hilarious take on a Topical subject. About 120 spoonfuls there I'd say. Brilliant.

It's one the best features in CC (or whenever it was introduced way back). It's particularly handy for extending a canvas on product-type shots when you've run out of room on your backdrop or whatever and want more negative space. Useful for deleting spurious objects as well, of course, which is its main purpose...
Just been playing around with that feature - brilliant. Added just a little extra to the bottom edge and it's made a great difference - I'm a lot happier with it now - thanks again Paul. (I need to tidy it up a bit to remove the "fill" evidence but I like it already).
20atr4k.jpg

:ROFLMAO: An hilarious take on a Topical subject. About 120 spoonfuls there I'd say. Brilliant.
Thank you David. Just a smidge OTT ....... maybe ha ha.

Really nice topical shot, definitely on theme and the whole composition is good :)

Last edited:
Catching up:

Camouflage - That's a good effect. Thanks for the link, will have a look at trying it sometime.
Danger - Great photo, nothing to add to improve it.
Topical - Works very well, great that you have been able to match the background colour with the logo.

Great idea for topical, and great photo. Nothing to criticise, even for the first version!

Hi Carl,

Danger(ous): that's a beauty. Nice abstract feel to it and the exposure is spot on. A well refined and classy shot

Topical: agree with Steve about matching background - that's a nice touch. Also the movement in the sugar brings the picture to life and definitely adds that extra level of interest.

Topical - Works very well, great that you have been able to match the background colour with the logo.

Great idea for topical, and great photo. Nothing to criticise, even for the first version!

Topical: agree with Steve about matching background - that's a nice touch. Also the movement in the sugar brings the picture to life and definitely adds that extra level of interest.

Thanks Steve, Bernd, Jason - having that matching bg was a stroke of good fortune ... must have stepped in something unpleasant to have been so lucky.

Hi Carl, really like your Topical image. Good idea to frame it the way you have and th grains of sugar being poured have just the right amount of movement.

Great idea for Topical! Excessive sugar is definitely on theme and is probably going to stop me eating a chocolate bar now. :LOL: I really like the photo, with the overflow and the still pouring action.

Hi Carl, really like your Topical image. Good idea to frame it the way you have and th grains of sugar being poured have just the right amount of movement.
works for me, very topical, and very creative :clap:
Dangerous is a lovely image, really liking the colours, darkness and glow / smoke from the match - brill ! Topical - simple and very effective - like the composition of the cup and movement in the poured sugar :)
Great idea for Topical! Excessive sugar is definitely on theme and is probably going to stop me eating a chocolate bar now. :LOL: I really like the photo, with the overflow and the still pouring action.

Thank you all for your generous comments - a bit of a tongue in cheek dig at the expense of Starbucks ha ha.

Nicely done, Carl. A cheeky little pose from the bird and the narrow depth of field and contrasting colours behind him makes it almost 3D, You have the option of cropping in from the top and right a bit, but I think it works well as is, because it adds a sense of scale (y)
Thanks Andrea. I see what you mean about the crop - that would give the robin a bit more prominence.

Your Robin is a lovely image, the detail is fantastic and i like the way the fence and the bg contrast (y)

Nowt wrong with this Carl...

Lovely detail and colours, and nice use of DOF. (y)

Place holder indeed! Tut.

Hmmm I'm a bit on the fence with this :D

Very nice Carl, lovely and sharp, loads of detail :)

Hi Carl.
Great capture of the robin, it certainly pops out of the background and it certainly fits the theme albeit that you are waiting on inspiration to produce something more alternative.

Nice 'n sharp with the simplicity of FG wooden fence, OOF greenery in BG ... all well placed in the frame.

Great perfectly sharp shot of Britain's favourite bird!

Nowt wrong with this Carl... Lovely detail and colours, and nice use of DOF. (y) Place holder indeed! Tut.
Thanks Brian. So wanted something more interesting to present.

Hmmm I'm a bit on the fence with this :D Very nice Carl, lovely and sharp, loads of detail :)
Thanks Cobra. Like the humour .... no of-fence intended.

Lovely capture - lots of detail and beautiful colours.
Thank you Liz.

Great capture of the robin, it certainly pops out of the background and it certainly fits the theme
Thanks Tim - I was hoping for something a little more abstract but hey ho.

Nice 'n sharp with the simplicity of FG wooden fence, OOF greenery in BG ... all well placed in the frame.
Thank you David. I felt the fence represented too stark a feature really - never mind.

Great perfectly sharp shot of Britain's favourite bird!
Thanks Bernd. Cute to look at but apparently quite an aggressive character.

You might think your robin shot uninspired for the theme, but it's a great shot nevertheless and I think that's really our main goal in photography - to get great shots. :p The sharp textures and details are so pleasing and the dof is perfect! Also, I like your crop so I wouldn't change anything about it. :)

Hi Carl, what can I say obviously great choice for the theme, possibly a little crop would work

Living World......As a place holder whilst you gather your inspiration, this really is rather lovely!

Back