weekly Chrispp My 52's Challenge Weeks 33,34,35,& 36

Nice find for sign - I'd almost be tempted to crop from the top, losing the top left corner of the frame and bringing more attention to the shapes and textures of poster and wall, rather than the trees.
Edit - missed simple! Love the idea behind this and the vibrant greens. I prefer the second crop, but agree with Andy that central might work well, too.

Last edited:
I like that a lot, great find, nicely captured.

Hi Chris ....what a great find, there's just something about that image, I really like it :clap: The crop looks fine to me unless you tried any other angles for the original shot.

Crop looks fine to me too Chris. I like the decay in the backboard as well as the poster itself. Well spotted.

Great find on "sign" Chris.
I wouldn't alter the crop either, it all works nicely :)

Hi Chris

I too think a different crop could work well. Simply because I don't feel the surroundings add anything to the image, so I'd always be tempted to get in closer. The texture under that peeling sign is great and getting right into that and a triangle of sign itself would be interesting.

Great spot though!

Nice find! Great dilapidated feel. Crops fine but ... I guess a little more wall RHS and perhaps a smidge less LHS might add. (?)

Nice find for sign - I'd almost be tempted to crop from the top, losing the top left corner of the frame and bringing more attention to the shapes and textures of poster and wall, rather than the trees.
Edit - missed simple! Love the idea behind this and the vibrant greens. I prefer the second crop, but agree with Andy that central might work well, too.

Thanks all for taking the time to comment, really appreciated.

The sign is in a scrap yard and I had to rest my camera on a 6ft high wall ! I would of loved to get closer and take a few more photos at different angles but with no chance of that with the guard dogs had to make do. I suppose that might be why it's in the state it is. I will look at a few different crops and did get in quite close the the lady's face with the fold but wasn't too sure. Well I have nearly caught up just camouflage and technology to sort. Struggling for ideas and inspiration with camouflage though to be honest any suggestions ?

Thanks Chris

I'm massively behind on comments - sorry!
Sign(s) - cool! As mentioned, it's a cool subject - nice textures etc all coming through. I don't think there's much wrong crop wise, although I agree the surroundings don't add much to the shot. Perhaps a closer, more detailed shot would've worked well too? Nice find though for sure!

Week 26 Flora, not 100% sure about this one ? Trying to work on an iPad was the wrong decision.

Anyhow interested in any thoughts

Chris

Great colour, Chris. For me though, it looks a bit soft with little definition / contrast in the centre of the flower, which is weird because there's plenty contrast elsewhere.

Last edited:
Great colour, Chris. For me though, it looks a bit soft with little definition / contrast in the centre of the flower, which is weird because there's plenty Co trust elsewhere.

Thanks for your help with posting the images using an iPad, got there in the end using copy all and pasting and editing in word.
It wad taken just as the rain stopped and a glint of light on the rose, I wanted to capture the shadows to be honest and as much DOF as possible but typically the rain started and forced my inside.

I might play around with the definition etc on Lightroom mobile while I am on my hols this week.

Thanks again for your help Ian most appreciated Chris

I find brightly coloured flowers are often hard to get right and a bit of pruning sometimes helps the framing. Good effort though and nice to have the water drops on the petals.

See what you both mean, took this one at the same time.

I was really interested in the shadows from the light and missed the thought process with the rest of the photo taking ;)

I prefer the yellow flower of the two its better framed than the rose

2nd one for me also Chris, its not so "busy" as the Rose.

Lighting is so much better in the second one Chris and as Allan says, a better composition too. :clap:

2nd one for me also Chris, its not so "busy" as the Rose.

Definitely the second one for me Chris, I did put an easy way of uploading from Flickr using your iPad on the other thread ....your way sounds a bit complicated.

Enjoy your holiday :)

Lighting is so much better in the second one Chris and as Allan says, a better composition too. :clap:

Thanks all, yep totally agree with you all second one is far better. Thanks for your comments

Week 27 Activity

Not for me but pool fitness is not my forte, nor many others to be honest. But the girls expressions were priceless !

Managed to sort the issue over uploading using an iPad thanks Susie and Ian

Didn't have a problem with getting the focus spot on then !?!? Nicely chosen and well taken Chris.

Hilarious, great facial expression and she looks like she should be participating not taking the class dare I say it

Yellow flower for me.

The acttiv lady is a nice find :D well focused.

That one certainly is, well spotted Chris :D

Thanks !

Didn't have a problem with getting the focus spot on then !?!? Nicely chosen and well taken Chris.

I had to move sun beds for this one, initially we were right behind her ! Not a great view

That is a cracking photo for activity, love it!

Thanks Chris, not much activity on the day from me for sure

Well timed, would have like to see more of the pool or was there only one person involved.

Stan, there was only the single lady in the pool taking part. I know what you mean though. Had to take this one from a little distance away 'covert'

Your second flower is lovely - you've really kept the yellow bright. The expression in active is brilliant, but it's all the inactive people in the background that make the shot for me! Hope you're enjoying your hols.

Emma, holidays going great, swam with turtles yesterday I'll upload a pic

Hilarious, great facial expression and she looks like she should be participating not taking the class dare I say it

You may be right Allan, but she goes all out, all day long. We have moved to another pool a little less busy
Yellow flower for me.

The acttiv lady is a nice find :D well focused.

Thanks David, couldn't resist

Thanks again all for your kind comments Chris

Went out snorkelling for an 'activity' yesterday and came across this swimming around. Taken with a GoPro and a little edit on the iPad. Don't know if you can make out the divers underneath

Just thought it was a nice photo

Nice Chris :)

And yep I can see the divers

Nice and sharp with good details and I can make out the other divers. Impressive little things those GoPros

Nice Chris :)

And yep I can see the divers

Shame the divers missed it, they were down around 12m and the turtle was swimming around 1m down

Nice and sharp with good details and I can make out the other divers. Impressive little things those GoPros

Chris, had it some time and to be honest I wasn't too impressed until yesterday I am going to invest a little more time with it now.

The turtle came really close, too close for comfort ! Made me panic a touch to be honest and a gulp of seawater !

Hi Chris

The rose image is a nice spot, but I think the harder lighting hasn't help you - it's caused quite a bit of tonal confusion (for want of a better description) where the shape of the rose doesn't come through as clearly. I think that's all that has happened. Conversely, the second one is a lot flatter light which has probably left the image a touch too flat for me. So somewhere in between!

Good spot for activity - she certainly looks in to it. Shame about the spurious head bottom right!

Love the shot of the turtle... great job (y)

Hi Chris ....well that lady certainly looks as if she's taking her Activity very seriously.....I'm in the sit and watch group :)

Super turtle shot ....you must have been pleased to see that. My son used his GoPro when we were on holiday ....fabulous for underwater shots aren't they

Hi Chris

The rose image is a nice spot, but I think the harder lighting hasn't help you - it's caused quite a bit of tonal confusion (for want of a better description) where the shape of the rose doesn't come through as clearly. I think that's all that has happened. Conversely, the second one is a lot flatter light which has probably left the image a touch too flat for me. So somewhere in between!

Good spot for activity - she certainly looks in to it. Shame about the spurious head bottom right!

Love the shot of the turtle... great job (y)

Cheers Carl, turtle was a surprise for sure

Hi Chris ....well that lady certainly looks as if she's taking her Activity very seriously.....I'm in the sit and watch group :)

Super turtle shot ....you must have been pleased to see that. My son used his GoPro when we were on holiday ....fabulous for underwater shots aren't they

Thanks Susie, pleased with the GoPro to be honest, and to top it off I started an open water dive course today !

Sign - It has a feel of dereliction to it, very Urban, good find.
I don't see any need to change the crop either.
Flora - Another strong shot, works well, the water droplets add to it. I far c=prefer it to #2
Activity - LOL, she looks like she's laying an egg! Nice fun shot :)
The turtle is a good shot, with nice colours, but not as strong for the theme imo, it would have fitted well with this weeks theme of (Wild) Life though ;)

Sign - has a neglected look about it but I like it, good find.
Flora - Good Dof and I like the droplets I like the rose best
Activity - I see what you mean about the expression fun shot
Activity 2 - wow what a lovely shot bit of a shoehorn for the theme but works well for (sea) life

Hi Chris

I saw your turtle shot, must be two weeks ago, and thought wow! went off googling GoPro and forgot to comment. That's amazing ... makes me want to go turtling. :D

Hi Chris

I saw your turtle shot, must be two weeks ago, and thought wow! went off googling GoPro and forgot to comment. That's amazing ... makes me want to go turtling. :D

David, did you get a GoPro ? Only thing I find is you need the rear addon which enables you to view what you have taken or want to take. Otherwise it's a bit 'pot luck' this was out 25-30 shots ! The video is something else These turtles are used to humans and swim right upto you. Quite a few people got shocked by this ! We thought it was great ! There always seem to be
Gopros in the classifieds, if your still looking might be worth keeping an eye on there. We always take our on holiday and haven't regretted it yet.

Definitely the first shot for Active, Chris. Fits the theme better and agree with Paul re the floating head. Wonder if it could be cloned out to preserve the aspect ratio? Alternatively, a wee crop would sort it.

Sign - It has a feel of dereliction to it, very Urban, good find.
I don't see any need to change the crop either.
Flora - Another strong shot, works well, the water droplets add to it. I far c=prefer it to #2
Activity - LOL, she looks like she's laying an egg! Nice fun shot :)
The turtle is a good shot, with nice colours, but not as strong for the theme imo, it would have fitted well with this weeks theme of (Wild) Life though ;)

Thanks for your comments Tim, the rose was a stack of 12 shots but didn't have the effect I really wanted, back to the drawing board with that,
Activity, she wasn't amused by me taking her picture ! you should see some of her other expressions !

Sign - has a neglected look about it but I like it, good find.
Flora - Good Dof and I like the droplets I like the rose best
Activity - I see what you mean about the expression fun shot
Activity 2 - wow what a lovely shot bit of a shoehorn for the theme but works well for (sea) life

Thanks Minx, I never thought of the turtle for life, Doh ! I could of waited ! Never mind

Definitely the first shot for Active, Chris. Fits the theme better and agree with Paul re the floating head. Wonder if it could be cloned out to preserve the aspect ratio? Alternatively, a wee crop would sort it.

See what you mean about the crop Ian, still learning tbh and appreciated the advice, thanks Chris ;)

Week 28 Life,

Link

Well I can't choose between these two to be honest.
'Hard Life' , seems all the rage in Tenerife double buggies ! Not being used I suspect for their intended purpose ! The expression on the gent walking by says it all

Hard Life 2 by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Second, was a visit to a local 'Harbour Life' lights a tad rubbish but the atmosphere was great.

Harbour Life 2 by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Thanks for looking !

Chris

Back