CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Hi, this thread shows an interesting variety of cars, and excellent pictures. (y)- A rare PEUGEOT 402 DarlMat Coupe from 1938:

L1013384_DxO-L35-c-4c-tp.jpg

L1013383_DxO-v35c-4c-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Well, a reasonable attempt at it. Good looking car for a Pug! Probably built by the same coachbuilder as the Atlantique.

Sadly, one can replace Peugeot with any other car brand in that sentence.
Hi, I think this applies especially to French brands like Citroen and Renault, which were very avantgarde in their heydays ...

On the other hand, brands from other countries rise over time, thinking of Japan and Korea, and China in future, perhaps -

A brand we should not forget. - Over the years, I had several BMW motorcycles, but only one car, a 525i from 1990-1992 as a company car.

For the many BMW drivers here:

D80_7180-n70c-tp.jpg

DKW, another of the four circles of Auto Union, but not as stylish and luxurious as the Horch ones:

1938 Dampf-Kraft-Wagen DKW F7 ‘Front Luxus’ Cabriolet

1956 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse Coupe F93

1961 DKW MUNGA 8

A friend of ours in Crete has a Hercules like that bike as well as another, older model.

Hi, @ariel7515, the Mulhouse museum looks promising ... --- (y)

DKW were considered mildly sporty in the 50s and 60s in Germany. Their shape counted as aerodynamic, but I think in those days no car was tested in a wind-tunnel. It was more "designer-aerodynamics".

The brand declined towards the end of the 60s, when two-stroke engines lost their popularity in West-Germany. (In the East they led their smelly lives happily until the 90s.)

Marketing reacted by fixing the 3=6 emblem on the trunk of some cars, meaning a 3-cylinder two-stroke runs as smoothly as a 6-cylinder four-stroke, which was not completely absurd in those days.

To control the smelly exhaust fumes, later models mixed their fuel and oil by the engine, but these last efforts failed, and then AUDI came with four-stroke engines. ---

A DKW in action:

D80_7206-n70-tp.jpg

Hi, @ariel7515, the Mulhouse museum looks promising ... --- (y)

I highly recommend a visit, they have one of the biggest (if not the biggest) collection of Bugatti cars and a lot of other very particular cars, one of the best museum/collection I saw so far., and a good excuse to visit the Alsace region (since 2016 part of what is called Grand Est region).

DKW were considered mildly sporty in the 50s and 60s in Germany. Their shape counted as aerodynamic, but I think in those days no car was tested in a wind-tunnel. It was more "designer-aerodynamics".

The brand declined towards the end of the 60s, when two-stroke engines lost their popularity in West-Germany. (In the East they led their smelly lives happily until the 90s.)

Marketing reacted by fixing the 3=6 emblem on the trunk of some cars, meaning a 3-cylinder two-stroke runs as smoothly as a 6-cylinder four-stroke, which was not completely absurd in those days.

To control the smelly exhaust fumes, later models mixed their fuel and oil by the engine, but these last efforts failed, and then AUDI came with four-stroke engines. ---

The 3=6 was a very popular car outside Europe too, in fact my first contact with that car was with the 4 door sedan that was known as Auto Union 1000 and much later had the chance to see the 2 door model but never the cabrio (much nicer than the hardtop or the 4 door sedan).

I highly recommend a visit, they have one of the biggest (if not the biggest) collection of Bugatti cars and a lot of other very particular cars, one of the best museum/collection I saw so far., and a good excuse to visit the Alsace region (since 2016 part of what is called Grand Est region).
Hi, I checked the museum. I shall keep it on my agenda. Best is travel the day before the visit, so I have a full day there ... ---

Hi, @ariel7515, a most impressive series. I 've never heard of Pegaso or seen their cars before! (y)

Following the black fox lead, an ASTON MARTIN from 1937:

D80_1922-n70c-Aston1937-tp.jpg

Hi, @ariel7515, a most impressive series. I 've never heard of Pegaso or seen their cars before! (y)

Love the Pegaso designs, those sober refined lines, authentic rarities from Spain, pity that did not last long, and after that Pegaso was dedicated to truck manufacture mainly.

Love the Pegaso designs, those sober refined lines, authentic rarities from Spain, pity that did not last long, and after that Pegaso was dedicated to truck manufacture mainly.

Hi, PEGASOs were innovative, but not very successful in the marketplace. Maybe, trucks were simply more profitable ... ---

A rare ASTON MARTIN:

DSC09862-a7r2-s28c-tp.jpg

DSC09849-a7r2-s28-tp.jpg

DSC09850-a7r2-s28-tp.jpg

DSC09863-a7r2-s28c-tp.jpg

DSC09851-a7r2-s28-tp.jpg

Always good to see classics being used for their intended purpose. Sad when they become trailer queens and only get "driven" on showgrounds.

And a blown one at that! A look round the web (with the aid of Google!) tells me that it's a J2 from 1932.

We see a few of these when we go up to our local hill climb for the VSCC's annual Wiscombe Park meet.

Back