Clives 52 in 2019 Thread Almost there!

Wide
I will go for the 1st shot, but I think a letter box crop would suit the theme better.

Nice images Clive.(y)

Dirty: The crop emphasises the 'dirt' well, and the colours and light are terrific.
Wide: I think I also prefer the first image too, I do like the buildings/activity on the left in the distance...nice contrast with the negative space of sea and sky.
As Dominic said, a narrower crop might work too.

Last edited:
Week 37 Old

The Prospect of Whitby in Wapping London.
This pub is said to be the oldest riverside pub in London, built circa 1520.
Visited by some of the world's greats, including Sinatra, Churchill, Ali, Burton and Kevin Bacon....

PSX_20191012_183244c.jpg

PSX_20191012_184547a.jpg

Hi Clive,

I like both of your shots for wide but the second one fits the theme more for me.
Nice shot for Old too. I haven't been there but feel a visit is required. Thanks for adding the shot of the reigns too. A good bit of background.

Hi Clive,
  • Old - Nice old pub, Wapping eh? Worth a trip down there one day I feel...
    The image could do with some adjustments imo. It feels to me as if it's leaning back (perspective issue), have you tried any corrections?
    That lamp post is really doing my OCD in too ;)
  • Flower - Nice colour, lighting seems well controlled (maybe a bit blown in the background, but it doesn't detract).
    The crop doesn't feel quite right to me though, it's either too tight, or not tight enough, a couple of the petals are oddly cropped off and either they shouldn't be, or perhaps a tighter crop in so they are all cropped off would work.
    YMMV of course :)

Thank you, it was a bit tight taking a picture from the front which gives it the lean back look, not corrected. The lamp post has been reported to Tower Hamlets haha.
Thanks for the comments always appreciated.

Week 39 Dull

Some dull pre decimal coinage from the good old days.
For those not old enough to know the coins there are a Farthing (1/4 of one penny),
Half Pennys , or a ha'penny (1/2 of one penny), Pennies, Silver three penny bit, Six pence, Florin (2 Shillings or 24 pence) and Half Crown (2 Shillings and 6 pence or 30 pennies).
To help you out a Sixpence is 2.5p a Shilling is 5p, 2 Shillings is 10p, Half a Crown is 12.5p. To make it easy, 12 pennies (monetary symbol d) to a Shilling (monetary symbol s) 20 Shillings or 240 pennies to a Pound (monetary symbol L). So we all dealt in Lsd (I might have made this bit up).

IMG_20191110_143818.jpg

I really like the soft image, great PP. :)

Excellent images Clive!(y)

Soft: I really like the vintage feel of the processing, works so well for the subject. Great composition too.
Dull: Super close up work! I don't remember the 'old' money, but I do remember those big 10 pence pieces (old 2 shilling pieces) and I have fond memories of panicking and having to use the receiver to hammer them into those old phones boxes, when you heard the pips!!:LOL:
Young-uns today don't know they're born...with their new fangled mobiles!!:rolleyes::giggle:

Really great images Clive!

Snappers choice: Great mix of colours...the autumnal leaves on the ground compliment the greens, and the road leads the eye nicely.
Song: Fantastic colours...who doesn't love autumn colours?! Very well photographed.
Short: Very creative image, again with excellent colours...nice background blur too...just right.

Really great images Clive!

Snappers choice: Great mix of colours...the autumnal leaves on the ground compliment the greens, and the road leads the eye nicely.
Song: Fantastic colours...who doesn't love autumn colours?! Very well photographed.
Short: Very creative image, again with excellent colours...nice background blur too...just right.
Thank you Gareth...only a few behind now.

Hi Clive

Catching up my comments on your catchup.

Wk40 Snappers Choice, some nice colours in the Image and the road leads through the picture nicely.

Wk42 Song Lyric/Title, again nice autumn colours, all sharp and lots of detail.

Wk45 Short, clever use of the lego man, see he has a Canon system.

Wk41 Near, Glad you showed the 3 images, would never have guessed it was an apple. How did you get that close, extension tubes?

Wk43 Borrowed, Doing well if its from 1981, nice simple image, works well.

Pete

Hi Clive

Catching up my comments on your catchup.

Wk40 Snappers Choice, some nice colours in the Image and the road leads through the picture nicely.

Wk42 Song Lyric/Title, again nice autumn colours, all sharp and lots of detail.

Wk45 Short, clever use of the lego man, see he has a Canon system.

Wk41 Near, Glad you showed the 3 images, would never have guessed it was an apple. How did you get that close, extension tubes?

Wk43 Borrowed, Doing well if its from 1981, nice simple image, works well.

Pete
Incredible close ups for the 'near' theme Clive!:clap:
Amazing level of detail you've achieved there!
'Borrowed' is also excellent...simple composition and very nicely lit.
Nice work!

Hi Gareth & Pete
Yes extension tubes from my Lensbaby kit, on the kitchen table with the little flash that comes with the OM-D E-M5 mkii. Worked better than expected.
Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.
Hope the rain stops so I can complete the catchup.

Hi Clive

Must be a real spooky place, always a ghost on hand. Much prefer the Indoor version, better Tones etc.

Pete

Hi Clive,

Spooky - I think I prefer the outdoors one. I believe it's the perspective/angle of the shot that does it for me.
Environmental - Certainly fits the bill, doesn't jump out at me though. Would it have been possible to combine this with the long exposure technique and get some motion blur?

Back