weekly Colm's 52-2016 Week 11: Artificial

Hi Colm, some good shots there.

Dangerous - your banker/first shot is good. Composition is strong and it's technically well shot with kind lighting from the overcast sky. The processing brings out the fairly flat sky well. You genuinely couldn't make more of this image, so well done. As an image, rather than for the theme it's lacking something unless it were part of a series or study etc. But notwithstanding that, it's still good. The second image posted is very strong - the sky, the starburst on all lights and overall balance between light and dark works really well for me. Only small points for me are the horizon not seeming to be level (despite the sign being vertical - how does that happen?) and the moon being just a bit too close to the edge of the frame for me - I'd prefer it slightly further down but still a very accomplished shot. The final dangerous also works really well for me. Good composition with leading lines, the "in your face" sign absolutely works for this theme and the tones in the sky are perfect. Framing the triangular sign perfectly between the two wave breaks out to sea is a really nice touch, too. Maybe a tiny shadow lift to bring out more details of the rocks leading into the water? Top job though!

Topical is very clever - nicely thought out. I prefer the hammer in focus, so the second one for me I think. As Allan has said, a good exposure boost would help lift the image a bit further and also whiten that background a bit more (no need for 100% white but a bit more would do wonders, I think). As a minor quibble, I reckon getting a larger light source closer to the subject might have strengthened it a bit as well - the story here is about the combination of the apple and the hammer (breaking) - the shadows don't, for me, add any emphasis or anything so I'd prefer to notice them less. Very minor opinion though and it's still a very cleverly thought out and well executed shot.

Looking forward to more!

Great idea for Topical and I prefer the second composition Colm. Seems to represent the subject better. Justs a slight niggle in that the background could be more even in lighting.

I hadn't got a clue what the link was until I read the description but I prefer the second shot - the debris adds a bit of story and I prefer the apple not to be in front of the hammer.

Hello Colm

I like looking up at all those cables leading off the top of that poll whilst being able to just read the danger of death words.

Of the next pair of Dangers, #2 works well.

The apple ... nice thinking, #2 for me.

(y)

I prefer the first - there are lighting problems but this has already been discussed - for me, a padlock would have been a better choice of prop but top marks for effort and imagination.

Colin, what a clever idea for the Topical theme, The second makes me think of cracking the code.

Camo - nice ! - a lower POV and tighter crop so you just had a blue background may also be worth taking a look ?

Danger - great selection of images, but I like the first better - the POV, the strong lines and that sign - has it all - like it :)

Topical - very topical - made me smile - nice interpretation !

Danger - I like the new shots particularly the skies
Topical - I think the second is better

Thanks for all the kind comments. I've just been away all week so I'll be catching up on comments tomorrow but I have to sneak my Living World picture in before the clock strikes midnight :)

Topical - good idea for the theme and very topical. Think I prefer the second of the shots with the hammer being a bit more prominent.

Living world - something very calming about that shot.

A picture of serenity - subdued tones and hardly a ripple in the water. Sublime.

That's a lovely serene image.

Topical - lol, very creative. I like that you’ve taken a bite out of the first one to make it look like the logo but I prefer the second one for composition and more storytelling.

Living World - That’s a beautiful peaceful picture! I like how there are layers of repeating shades of blues and white. Could totally see this on someone’s living room wall. :)

Very nice Living World shot Colm, bang on for the theme.

Hi Colm, that's a lovely pic for living world - very serene. Processing works really, really well and I found my eye moving around and finding things of interest throughout the frame. You've captured some great light there... (y)

Living world - beautiful picture, haunting
Thanks Sam

Topical - good idea for the theme and very topical. Think I prefer the second of the shots with the hammer being a bit more prominent.

Living world - something very calming about that shot.
Thanks Steve

A picture of serenity - subdued tones and hardly a ripple in the water. Sublime.
Thanks Carl, the joys of an early morning start

That looks bl**dy cold Colm.
Certainly fits the theme and the colours suit the expanse of untouched land.
It was nice once the sun came up properly

Great picture, lovely lighting.
Thanks CLive

That's a lovely serene image.
Thanks Ruth

living world - lovely calm landscape
Thank you

Topical - lol, very creative. I like that you’ve taken a bite out of the first one to make it look like the logo but I prefer the second one for composition and more storytelling.

Living World - That’s a beautiful peaceful picture! I like how there are layers of repeating shades of blues and white. Could totally see this on someone’s living room wall. :)
Thanks Sheylara

Beautiful Living World shot Colm, incredibly peaceful looking and such fabulous colours.
Thanks Susie, it doesn't look half bad for a vast expanse of mud :)

Hi Colm

A nice image indeed, I'm liking the minimal colour palette and the silhouette of the ducks, a very tranquil image :)
Thanks

Tranquil & creepy at the same time. (y)
Cheers David

Very nice Living World shot Colm, bang on for the theme.
Thanks Lee

Peaceful living world shot...nice
Thanks Walter

Hi Colm, that's a lovely pic for living world - very serene. Processing works really, really well and I found my eye moving around and finding things of interest throughout the frame. You've captured some great light there... (y)
I was amazed by the amount of life in what looks like a desolate muddy wasteland. I started up my boat engine and half the landscape flew away :)

Very nice image Colm such a calm and peaceful image. Really like the subtle tones.

Once again I find myself sneaking in just before the deadline.
I got a few lame shots early on in the week and I almost submitted one last night, but I decided to hold off for one more day and managed to nab this on the way home from work today. :)

Week 10: Spiky by Colm, on Flickr

Hi Colm,
It's not tack sharp, there isn't any noise as far as I can see, but I think there is softness from the NR tool, there is detail lost in the shadows (far right).
Yet for all the (supposed) technical faults, the shot works really well, with the graduation from blue to red emphasising the sunset and the spiky fence leading to the building at the end of the pier, what you have is content and content always trumps technical perfection.
:clap: (y)

Reactions: WMD
I'm liking that Colm lovely silhouette and great sky the composition is great with the fence pulling you right through the picture

Back