weekly Crazylady's 2015 52 challenge Crowd and Close Up added

Hi Hazel

Scenic ... love the light and/or frost on the fence ... plus there's interesting stuff in the BG -the lone tree- The sky is blown: so what?

Companions ... would like to see them both in focus ... and the maybe some other stuff OOF.
Thanks David

Companions - Great shot. The only thing I'd mention is the slight gradient in the BG. For me, the DoF that you have really works (y)
Thanks Lee, it's funny that I hadn't really noticed the gradient before, but now you mention it.....!!

Hi Hazel, nice idea for the companions image although I am siding with the 'both in focus' comments.

So finally we have elegant

Had this idea about a week ago, tried it but wasn't happy with the focus, so here is my 2nd attempt
This is a wine glass lit from the side by a table lamp (which was also on its side)
I wanted it to be kind of abstracty but try to get the elegance from the curvy shape

10048-1423504072-b20547e16a39d89abba77e36c98575bc.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really liking companions, and I don't mind that the charmer is OOF.
It's very obvious who / what he is.
It made me chuckle :)

Elegant is lovely too, though I would like to have seen the top of the glass.

Hi Ruth

I did take several including the top of the glass but preferred the more minimal look

Just did a crop - think I prefer this version as it is more abstract
- what do you think?

10049-1423506253-a1e7d763815384c1eef6fb03b568526b.jpg

Nice and simple works really well. The closer crops works better for me of the two.
Just needs a nice cold Guinness in there.

Original for me. I don't mind that it's a tad closer to the RHS. Lovely detail and I like the light edge on the LHS of the glass and dark edge on the RHS. I wasn't sure about the dark lower right corner but actually it's grown on me.

Yup like this one (y)

Cheers.

Hi Hazel

was just looking at your original shot for elegance & thought I'd mention about cropping it to lose some of the rhs ....scrolled down & hey presto you'd done it........works a treat, love the gradient effect lighting :clap:

Thanks Lynne, as I said I wanted it to be a bit abstract but still retain the important curves, this version was on the lines of my first shoo a week previously

And cheers to you too Andy!

Glad you think the lighting works, I was pleased with the effect
:D

I really like this! I love the gradient in that shadow and the diagonal works really well. That light at the base of the stem, has a great contrast against the shadow. I think I like No2 better as for me No1 looks a little odd without the rim of the glass. Although having said that I like the internal reflection down the RH side of the glass.
Nice Work Hazel

Much prefer the cropped version. Makes you think for a moment what it is you're looking at and the curve down the edge of the glass Is lovely.

I really like this! I love the gradient in that shadow and the diagonal works really well. That light at the base of the stem, has a great contrast against the shadow. I think I like No2 better as for me No1 looks a little odd without the rim of the glass. Although having said that I like the internal reflection down the RH side of the glass.
Nice Work Hazel

Wow, thanks very much Steve. I was really pleased with the overall lighting myself, glad others like it and think it works!
:D

Hi Hazel

Elegant - do like them both, bust moving towards the cropped version.

Lovely detail in the glass, liking the BG just adds to the image.
Thanks Darren, the cropped is my preferred choice too

Thanks Stan, I did clean the glass thoroughly first, still had to correct a few stray dust bunnies afterwards though!

And now on to watery

One from the archives although taken late last year - just one very foggy November morning, thought I would head down to the seafront with my camera
This is as shot, just with a slight boost in contrast and levels

10064-1423680824-af97efd8bb6f8b5458ef156de0417b7e.jpg

Thats kinda spooky rising out of the fog like that.
Nice and simple, it works for me Hazel :)

Hi there[emoji5]️
You got some beautiful shots in your thread.....the elegant one is very nicely done, think the crop has the edge for me[emoji4]

Watery: very striking and a bit eerie! Love it!

Hi there[emoji5]️
You got some beautiful shots in your thread.....the elegant one is very nicely done, think the crop has the edge for me[emoji4]

Watery: very striking and a bit eerie! Love it!
Thanks very much Ferg!
:)

Those last two shots are amazing Hazel.

The wineglass really caught my eye in the main images thread, hence my visit. Lovely range of tones and an excellent study. Watery may be an archive shot but it's beautiful nonetheless. Very minimalist and simple enhanced by the off-centre positioning of the subject. Right up my street.

I like the nice clean lines of watery, Hazel. Very crisp and clear.... You almost wouldn't realise it was water if it weren't for the reflection. Lovely gradient and I really like the reflection and the way the top of the Daymarker post starts to vanish into the mist.
Nice Work(y)

Hi Hazel, sorry for the delay in commenting... better late than never :)

Scenic is a lovely scene but agree with your own and others' comments re: the blown sky. You could either dial in a heavy amount of exposure comp (possibly 3 stops in this example?) which then means you need to be shooting at 100-200 ISO to avoid too much noise in the shadows (3 stops EC @ 100 ISO still equates to over 800 ISO in "real" terms) - or use an ND grad on the camera. Unfortunately, once you've shot there's no way of recovering except maybe 0.5-1 stop if you shoot RAW. Still, the composition works well for me - very pretty scene.

Companions made me smile - very good! I'd slightly more (and perhaps more even) light on the snake, but otherwise it's spot on. Like your DOF choice.

Elegant - very artistic lighting on that glass... I like it a lot. The only tiny crit is the additional reflection on the right side of the glass (as we look at it in frame) - do you have light walls? If so, I reckon you were getting quite a bit of reflected light back at the glass from the right of frame which I personally find interferes very slightly with the lovely dark silhouette edge of the right part of the "bowl". Still a cracking shot and you've achieved some fine lighting notwithstanding the point above. And it's very elegant :)

(Note that we all have different views on things because @69Bonni likes the lighter reflection you have!)

Watery - very nice, gently and relaxing. I love the way the fog just gradually thickens until you have bright white at the top of the frame. Super image!

Watery... I wasn't taken by it straight away but I keep looking at it and the more I do, the more I like it. Subtle colours and that gentle gradient that become pure white at the top. A super photo indeed :)

Back