2020 Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2020

OP
Darkslinger
Name
bill boyd
Edit My Images
No
First one for me, very good set of wet / damp pictures.
Thanks Clive, I lucked into that shot.

Very good set, #4 for me, it has a nice simplicity to it.
Thanks Nick, I've shot these old pier a number of times but this is the first time that the fog has been there.

Autumn - Oooh, #4 for me. It has power. Excellent (y)
Wet - I've not watch any of Scott's videos for a bit, I forgot he did photowalks. The second one for me, due to symmetry, or else #4 for the way it fades into the mist :)
Thanks Tim, I've been doing the photowalks a few years now. This one was different. No groups, everyone out solo.

OP
Darkslinger
Name
bill boyd
Edit My Images
No
The province's issues with homelessness and drug addictions (opiods in particular) is often a topic in the news. On my walks with the dogs I often see discarded syringes and needles as well as these small blue "vials" that I'm told are drug paraphernalia.

oct 10 (1 of 1)-2.jpg

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
No
Used to find a lot of this kind of thing around where I work not so often now a sad sign of the times unfortunately

Edit My Images
Yes
Artificial is a slight shoe horn, but works for me! The crop it's my preference too.

The final of your autumn dance photos has real energy - hopefully your only ever autumn photo like this..!

Definitely #4 for your wet pictures for me. What a fantastic picture! Absolutely lovely!

Rather depressing, but definitely topical for your paraphernalia picture.

Name
Helen
Edit My Images
No
Topical - despite highlighting the problems of our society today I rather like the composition with the juxtaposition of natural leaves and plastic.

OP
Darkslinger
Name
bill boyd
Edit My Images
No
Used to find a lot of this kind of thing around where I work not so often now a sad sign of the times unfortunately
It is sad Allan, the area I live in (Whalley) for many years was the brunt of the jokes about lower class people. Over the past 15 years a new city hall and library were built in the area and the Simon Fraser University located a campus and a research centre a block away from where I live. Now the area is referred to as the "University District" but the transient/dispossessed population still lives here along with all of the associated social problems. The city is trying to help, they've beefed up services and added some temporary housing but the problem continues to grow.

Artificial is a slight shoe horn, but works for me! The crop it's my preference too.

The final of your autumn dance photos has real energy - hopefully your only ever autumn photo like this..!

Definitely #4 for your wet pictures for me. What a fantastic picture! Absolutely lovely!

Rather depressing, but definitely topical for your paraphernalia picture.
Thanks Shug, I appreciate the kind words.

Topical - a sad state of affairs and unfortunately too common a site on our streets
Yes, it's sad but a fact of life where I live.

Topical - despite highlighting the problems of our society today I rather like the composition with the juxtaposition of natural leaves and plastic.
Thank you Helen, I tried to find something that would make some type of pleasing image.

More likely to see NO2 round this way, but yes, very topical.
Not sure if NO2 is a problem here but there is a significant problem with Fentanyl and the overdoses that are attributed to it.

OP
Darkslinger
Name
bill boyd
Edit My Images
No
Brand new kit...goodbye Canon...hello Olympus!

Some food related shots from my first Vancouver photowalk yesterday:

oct 17 (1 of 1)-3.jpg oct 17 (1 of 2)-3.jpg oct 17 (2 of 2)-4.jpg oct 17 (2 of 2)-6.jpg

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
Topical
Looks good photographically, not good socially.

Food
They're all great for different reasons. The first and last are probably best for the theme, but I really like the other two as well.

OP
Darkslinger
Name
bill boyd
Edit My Images
No
Topical
Looks good photographically, not good socially.

Food
They're all great for different reasons. The first and last are probably best for the theme, but I really like the other two as well.
Thanks Dominic, it was a lot of fun using a new system. A steep learning curve but satisfying...

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Food - all the images are great examples for the theme. Trying to work out the second one with the coffee post, how does the stool have what looks like blur but nothing on the right side is affected?

OP
Darkslinger
Name
bill boyd
Edit My Images
No
Food - all the images are great examples for the theme. Trying to work out the second one with the coffee post, how does the stool have what looks like blur but nothing on the right side is affected?
Thanks Stuart, I think because the window was curving away from me and flatter when it was closest, it allowed me to focus on the interior and then the curve of the glass distorted the reflection...just my guess. Really I just liked the reflection juxtaposed against the sharper background. This is what it looked like in colour (I'm thinking that that might help you wrap your head around the image):

oct 17 (2 of 2)-3.jpg

Edit My Images
Yes
The B&W with the crazy reflection would be my choice, but the first is the most apposite for the theme.

All nicely composed pictures - m43 Olympus? Welcome to the club (albeit in in the Panasonic camp) - I find them as really nice compromise of size and quality.

OP
Darkslinger
Name
bill boyd
Edit My Images
No
The B&W with the crazy reflection would be my choice, but the first is the most apposite for the theme.

All nicely composed pictures - m43 Olympus? Welcome to the club (albeit in in the Panasonic camp) - I find them as really nice compromise of size and quality.
Thanks Shug, it was the reflections that grabbed me as well. I figured a place to indulge in food was apropos for the theme.

Only 3 days with the camera and I'm loving it...

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Nice set of Photos for food. I like the one you picked.

Brave choice going to olympus at this time, but I have loved all my olympus cameras.

Pete

Name
Helen
Edit My Images
No
All good. #2 and #4 are my favourites but then I am a sucker for mono. I like the contrast between the window reflections and the interior on your chosen shot. It makes you investigate the image all the more.