Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2020

First one for me, very good set of wet / damp pictures.

Thanks Clive, I lucked into that shot.

Very good set, #4 for me, it has a nice simplicity to it.

Thanks Nick, I've shot these old pier a number of times but this is the first time that the fog has been there.

Autumn - Oooh, #4 for me. It has power. Excellent (y)
Wet - I've not watch any of Scott's videos for a bit, I forgot he did photowalks. The second one for me, due to symmetry, or else #4 for the way it fades into the mist :)

Thanks Tim, I've been doing the photowalks a few years now. This one was different. No groups, everyone out solo.

The province's issues with homelessness and drug addictions (opiods in particular) is often a topic in the news. On my walks with the dogs I often see discarded syringes and needles as well as these small blue "vials" that I'm told are drug paraphernalia.

oct 10 (1 of 1)-2.jpg

Used to find a lot of this kind of thing around where I work not so often now a sad sign of the times unfortunately

Artificial is a slight shoe horn, but works for me! The crop it's my preference too.

The final of your autumn dance photos has real energy - hopefully your only ever autumn photo like this..!

Definitely #4 for your wet pictures for me. What a fantastic picture! Absolutely lovely!

Rather depressing, but definitely topical for your paraphernalia picture.

Topical - despite highlighting the problems of our society today I rather like the composition with the juxtaposition of natural leaves and plastic.

Used to find a lot of this kind of thing around where I work not so often now a sad sign of the times unfortunately

It is sad Allan, the area I live in (Whalley) for many years was the brunt of the jokes about lower class people. Over the past 15 years a new city hall and library were built in the area and the Simon Fraser University located a campus and a research centre a block away from where I live. Now the area is referred to as the "University District" but the transient/dispossessed population still lives here along with all of the associated social problems. The city is trying to help, they've beefed up services and added some temporary housing but the problem continues to grow.

Artificial is a slight shoe horn, but works for me! The crop it's my preference too.

The final of your autumn dance photos has real energy - hopefully your only ever autumn photo like this..!

Definitely #4 for your wet pictures for me. What a fantastic picture! Absolutely lovely!

Rather depressing, but definitely topical for your paraphernalia picture.

Thanks Shug, I appreciate the kind words.

Topical - a sad state of affairs and unfortunately too common a site on our streets

Yes, it's sad but a fact of life where I live.

Topical - despite highlighting the problems of our society today I rather like the composition with the juxtaposition of natural leaves and plastic.

Thank you Helen, I tried to find something that would make some type of pleasing image.

More likely to see NO2 round this way, but yes, very topical.

Not sure if NO2 is a problem here but there is a significant problem with Fentanyl and the overdoses that are attributed to it.

Brand new kit...goodbye Canon...hello Olympus!

Some food related shots from my first Vancouver photowalk yesterday:

oct 17 (1 of 1)-3.jpgoct 17 (1 of 2)-3.jpgoct 17 (2 of 2)-4.jpgoct 17 (2 of 2)-6.jpg

Topical
Looks good photographically, not good socially.

Food
They're all great for different reasons. The first and last are probably best for the theme, but I really like the other two as well.

Topical
Looks good photographically, not good socially.

Food
They're all great for different reasons. The first and last are probably best for the theme, but I really like the other two as well.

Thanks Dominic, it was a lot of fun using a new system. A steep learning curve but satisfying...

first one with the reflections I find works better for me but all nicely composed pictures in their own right

Food - all the images are great examples for the theme. Trying to work out the second one with the coffee post, how does the stool have what looks like blur but nothing on the right side is affected?

first one with the reflections I find works better for me but all nicely composed pictures in their own right

Thanks Allan, it was fun taking the new camera out for a shakedown...

Food - all the images are great examples for the theme. Trying to work out the second one with the coffee post, how does the stool have what looks like blur but nothing on the right side is affected?

Thanks Stuart, I think because the window was curving away from me and flatter when it was closest, it allowed me to focus on the interior and then the curve of the glass distorted the reflection...just my guess. Really I just liked the reflection juxtaposed against the sharper background. This is what it looked like in colour (I'm thinking that that might help you wrap your head around the image):

oct 17 (2 of 2)-3.jpg

The B&W with the crazy reflection would be my choice, but the first is the most apposite for the theme.

All nicely composed pictures - m43 Olympus? Welcome to the club (albeit in in the Panasonic camp) - I find them as really nice compromise of size and quality.

The B&W with the crazy reflection would be my choice, but the first is the most apposite for the theme.

All nicely composed pictures - m43 Olympus? Welcome to the club (albeit in in the Panasonic camp) - I find them as really nice compromise of size and quality.

Thanks Shug, it was the reflections that grabbed me as well. I figured a place to indulge in food was apropos for the theme.

Only 3 days with the camera and I'm loving it...

Nice set of Photos for food. I like the one you picked.

Brave choice going to olympus at this time, but I have loved all my olympus cameras.

Pete

All good. #2 and #4 are my favourites but then I am a sucker for mono. I like the contrast between the window reflections and the interior on your chosen shot. It makes you investigate the image all the more.

Lovely food series. I like them all and I prefer the first slightly.

Thanks Pete, I love that bakery.

Nice set of Photos for food. I like the one you picked.

Brave choice going to olympus at this time, but I have loved all my olympus cameras.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I thought about the camera for a long time is just checked too many of the boxes that I was looking for.

All good. #2 and #4 are my favourites but then I am a sucker for mono. I like the contrast between the window reflections and the interior on your chosen shot. It makes you investigate the image all the more.

Thanks Helen, #4 is through the window of a home furnishing store. It was the reflection of the tea pots in the counter that caught my eye.

Paper is sharp as the many nicks and cuts I've inflicted on myself over the years can attest to...

1 sharp (1 of 1)-2 (2).jpg

And nice and sharp on the corner as well! Nicely composed with a lovely fluidity in the one of the paper.

Thanks Shug, I'm happy with the way it turned out. A little out of my comfort zone. :)

Clever idea and well executed with good use of DOF, nice composition and mono suits it perfectly.

Yep - that's a good pic - lovely S Curve too.

Kicking myself, such a simple idea... I have obviously thought too much about my composition.. you have hit the subject perfectly, how did you get it to stand up like that did you use clamps?

Clever idea and well executed with good use of DOF, nice composition and mono suits it perfectly.

Thanks Roger, my original thought was to go for a high key image but I like how the final image turned out.

And don`t paper cuts hurt like hell too, very nicely taken.

Thanks Dave, yes, I think they hurt more because we never feel like a piece of paper should have the ability to cut us like it can...

Lovely composition and certainly suits the mono treatment.

Thanks Pete.

I like the abstract nature of this and the subtle mono tones are lovely.

Thanks Helen, yes it came out a little more abstract then I originally envisioned.

Yep - that's a good pic - lovely S Curve too.

Thanks Dave.

Really lovely composition with the S and the shades of grey. Great idea.

Thanks Bebop.

Kicking myself, such a simple idea... I have obviously thought too much about my composition.. you have hit the subject perfectly, how did you get it to stand up like that did you use clamps?

Thanks Heather, it took me a long time to think of it. I was struggling...
I used three butterfly clips with a little painters tape on the bottom to hold the form of the paper.

Great idea and well executed, the shallow dof and mono work well.

Thanks Mark.

Sharp
Nice shapes, light and shade.
Why do paper cuts song so much?

Thanks Dominic, I think it's because we don't expect to get cut from paper...

Back