Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2020

More to my taste than the skateboards - it's a really interesting effect and could be (is) really effective with the right subjects.

Yes, I'm with you. It works well when there are well defined vertical lines to work with.

The white stripes do look like a piano, it's also not easy to look at.

LOL Clive, I'm okay if it isn't easy to look at if that means that people are looking at it and trying to figure it out ;)

An organic element resting on an artificial surface (is this a stretch for the challenge?).

Sep 09 (1 of 1)-8.jpg

I like the shots with a combination of ICM and static images. The leaf works well - possible crop a little off the top?

I like the shots with a combination of ICM and static images. The leaf works well - possible crop a little off the top?

Thanks Phil, I can't say that I disagree. I'm so used to using a 4X6 crop that I forget to look at other options. So this is for you:

Sep 09 (1 of 1)-9 (2).jpg

Catching up on giving feedback!!

Secure
Certainly fits the theme, the blue area at the right takes my attention a bit. Is there anything in the shadows either side of doorway?

Personal
Great to have something you can always have with you

Graceful
Love the look she is giving you

Static
I tend to struggle with longer exposures and they fall between too sharp to too blurred. This image manages to capture the scene well avoiding those pitfalls

Patterns
I like this image "zoomed in" to show the detail of the materials. Looks like there is many different images you could get from this building.

Camouflage
I struggled to see all the birds so it definitely fits the bill

Tiny
This has fantastic tones and just exudes peace and tranquility

Snappers Choice
The out of focus left hand side make it personally more difficult to read. A crop vertically from the left down the pole looks an interesting composition

Textures
Can see the wear on the case clearly, certainly looks well used

Activity
Like the isolation of the colours and you managed to time the shot just right

Artificial
Nice form for the organic element with the rapidly reducing DOF adding to the image

Catching up on giving feedback!!

Secure
Certainly fits the theme, the blue area at the right takes my attention a bit. Is there anything in the shadows either side of doorway?

Personal
Great to have something you can always have with you

Graceful
Love the look she is giving you

Static
I tend to struggle with longer exposures and they fall between too sharp to too blurred. This image manages to capture the scene well avoiding those pitfalls

Patterns
I like this image "zoomed in" to show the detail of the materials. Looks like there is many different images you could get from this building.

Camouflage
I struggled to see all the birds so it definitely fits the bill

Tiny
This has fantastic tones and just exudes peace and tranquility

Snappers Choice
The out of focus left hand side make it personally more difficult to read. A crop vertically from the left down the pole looks an interesting composition

Textures
Can see the wear on the case clearly, certainly looks well used

Activity
Like the isolation of the colours and you managed to time the shot just right

Artificial
Nice form for the organic element with the rapidly reducing DOF adding to the image

Thanks for the comments Stuart!

Not so much a representation of Autumn as an example of persistence in the face of short Autumn days.

As the lockdown here in British Columbia eased, my wife took to local outdoor venues and began offering free, socially distanced dances sessions to anyone and everyone. On this particular night it was on of her regular's 55st birthday so, even though it was dark, they went to the plaza in front of city hall danced for a couple of hours.

It was a challenge shooting them with low lighting conditions, some significant backlighting issues and my (admittedly) lack of experience using flash. Here are a few of the better shots:

Lena's BDay (1 of 1)-6.jpgLena's BDay (1 of 1)-2.jpgLena's BDay (1 of 1)-4.jpgLena's BDay (1 of 1)-9.jpg

Great memories of a unique (hopefully) period. Like the second image best, would be great to see it with a wider frame extending to the participants. It they do it again, some glow sticks and the long shutter could producing interesting light painting images.

Great memories of a unique (hopefully) period. Like the second image best, would be great to see it with a wider frame extending to the participants. It they do it again, some glow sticks and the long shutter could producing interesting light painting images.

Thanks Stuart, the glow stick idea is excellent. I have some other ideas around how they are oriented as well.

Great shots.. and a very different take on the theme. Looks like they're having a great time.

A wet, foggy morning on this Worldwide Kelby photowalk day.

I saw this man sitting watching the water, a moment of solitude...

Oct 3 - 1.jpg

There were also a few other photo opportunities:

Oct 3 - 4.jpgOct 3 (1 of 1).jpgOct 3 (3 of 3).jpg

I absolutely love that first picture, great spot and really well executed. Top shot.

Nice set. The first and last are my favourites and I think you chose the right one for the theme. Lovely shot.

Thank you Bebop, I was lucky to come upon this man just sitting having his coffee, I thought that it would make a good image.

I absolutely love that first picture, great spot and really well executed. Top shot.

Thanks Roger, I didn't think that I was going to get much with the fog as thick as it was. Thankfully it pulled back enough to capture these images.

Thanks Phil, I thought that it would make an interesting image.

Back