weekly DAVES 52 CHALLENGE 2019 WEEK 52 OUT TAKES & FINISHED

nice shoehorn Dave can't argue with that, prefer the Black and white he's better defined in that one.

That's one helluva shoehorn - well done :)

Colour No2 for me ta :)

I prefer the original mono shot but as for theme-wise! :thinking:

nkSVEAk.jpg

Great shot for the 'Play(ing)' theme Dave!:clap:
And hats off to you for upping the stakes in the 'Shoehorn of the Century' competition!!!:p

I like the B&W version the best, it has all the great qualities that you usually imbue all of your jazz photography with!
Great stuff!

Great shot for the 'Play(ing)' theme Dave!:clap:
And hats off to you for upping the stakes in the 'Shoehorn of the Century' competition!!!:p

I like the B&W version the best, it has all the great qualities that you usually imbue all of your jazz photography with!
Great stuff!

Thank you Gareth, I had good training for shoehorns off Cobra :D

Last week I knew just what images I was going to do for my Free week, as I have put in a couple of jazz shots in my 52 I thought I`d doing something Non jazz.

The first image I set up a black sheet and got the X-E3 + XF18mm f2 on my mini tripod, clipped my Raynox 150 on and set the timer to take a long ish exposure shot on two, one serious and one fun shot.

Long Exposure Technique too.

Pocket Watch by Dave, on Flickr

Quick Hand by Dave, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice lighting Dave on the first shot. Just enough to show the detail but make it also appear a bit mysterious. Like it.

Pocket watch shot is very nice :)

So... A couple of observations / thoughts Dave.
You used f/2 and f/2.2 on the two shots. which means the DoF was shallow, and this is evident on the first shot. Was shallow DoF intentional, or a by-product of not going smaller and longer?
Whilst it's not compulsory, long exposures are often used to bring in motion blur, and by having the mechanism showing, you could have got some, but I can't see any. Were the mechanisms stopped, or did you need a longer shutter?
The shots are quite small too (zoomed in on flickr), so if there was motion blur, it wasn't possible (for me) to see it.

That said, I do like the first shot, the colours and detail are exquisite :)

Last edited:
So... A couple of observations / thoughts Dave.
You used f/2 and f/2.2 on the two shots. which means the DoF was shallow, and this is evident on the first shot. Was shallow DoF intentional, or a by-product of not going smaller and longer?
Whilst it's not compulsory, long exposures are often used to bring in motion blur, and by having the mechanism showing, you could have got some, but I can't see any. Where the mechanisms stopped, or did you need a longer shutter?
The shots are quite small too (zoomed in on flickr), so if there was motion blur, it wasn't possible (for me) to see it.

That said, I do like the first shot, the colours and detail are exquisite :)

The wrist watch was longer on SS, how I did it was covered the armchair with a piece of my black cloth put the camera on a tripod then clipped my Raynox 150 on the 18mm and set the timer to fire. On the wrist watch you can make out the hand is moving as the blur on it.

Here you go @LC2 just a small crop but not resized
The flickr version is much improved :)
Oddly (well, actually, it's become my experience) on flickr it's slightly darker so you don't see the second hand until you zoom in, yet on TP (even though it's a link from flickr) it's brighter

Nice to see you didn't succumb to 10:08 on the watch.

I kind of agree with what Tim says don’t really understand why you would use f2 for this type of shot they could also do with a bit of a lift exposure wise

The flickr version is much improved :)
Oddly (well, actually, it's become my experience) on flickr it's slightly darker so you don't see the second hand until you zoom in, yet on TP (even though it's a link from flickr) it's brighter

Nice to see you didn't succumb to 10:08 on the watch.
I kind of agree with what Tim says don’t really understand why you would use f2 for this type of shot they could also do with a bit of a lift exposure wise

Thank you both, when I`m using my Raynox150 I always shoot with an aperture like that.

They're beautiful images Dave!:clap:
The pocket watch is by far the best in my opinion.
The exposure is perfect...excellent lighting...not too bright, and no loss of detail.
It has a wonderful vintage feel, perfectly fitting the era of the watch itself.
I like the execution of the wrist watch image - the capture of the movement of the second hand is very clever.

They're beautiful images Dave!:clap:
The pocket watch is by far the best in my opinion.
The exposure is perfect...excellent lighting...not too bright, and no loss of detail.
It has a wonderful vintage feel, perfectly fitting the era of the watch itself.
I like the execution of the wrist watch image - the capture of the movement of the second hand is very clever.

Thank you Gareth for the nice words.

Second one for me too :)

Hi Dave,

The pocket watch is the one for me too. Great low key image that belongs in a magazine (y)
Christmassy is a good shot too. The mono one for me as it is slightly darker I think but both are great.

Back