weekly David's 52+2 for 2014 - SHAPE

Hi there ....lots of excellent pics to look through....I love the positive one...such a pretty picture and some super editing.
I like the time one, there is a a very interesting variation in the brickwork on the left, it gives a real sense of different phases in time.

Last edited:
Thanks Alan.

Right, not sure if this counts, but...

My little girl found this leaf in the garden last weekend and the colours looked really good. Decided to take a snap of it with my little Fuji xf1 as i cba to get all the dslr out. Not a bad result imo. :D The leaf is from a Photinia 'Red Robin' that we have in our garden. It was starting to decay, effectively at the end of it's life. I plonked it on my log (again!) and positioned it so the sun was back lighting it which really perked the colours up along with a nice shadow to boot!

People commented that the subject in my ending photo wasn't big enough so i thought that i'd go big this time. (too big?)

Ending - Reshoot.

Backlit Red Robin Leaf
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Much better, the lighting from behind with the strong shadow works really well. Some nice colours left in the leaf even though it is clearly on its way out and the size means that the focus is not on the log so much but the log still gives a lot to the final image (y)

These Fujifilm XF1 are proper boss little cameras, about 90% of my 365 project has been taken with mine! Shooting in RAW then processing in LR 4. I find I can literally take it out everytime I go through the front door! :) great shot by the way! Like the colour, comp and focus. Great stuff. :)

Blimey, thanks alot! :)

I suppose I have my daughter to thank for bringing it to me in the first place? :rolleyes:

I'm impressed with the effect the back lighting has given.

Yes Alan, the xf1's are stunning little cameras, i love it. They can capture so much detail for such a tiny sensor and more often than not it nails the WB in auto too. Apart from the edge of the leaf that it has blown, it has preserved so much detail considering it was in such bright sunshine!

Thanks again.
David.

love the backlighting bringing through the colours and creating that nice shadow that curves around nicely with the rings on the tree stump.... whats not to like eh? (y)

The shadow leaf has cast is great. Nice smooootttth arc. Nice reds in the leaf.

There has been a trade off between getting the shadow and the resulting harsh light.

Overall, I quite like it.

HI David

I love your Ending reshoot ( but I also loved the original) , the color of the leaf is fab , lighting really good to create that wonderful shadow & the texture on the log contrasts nicely (y)

Swirl......the rose like icing looks lovely , the DOF I'm not quite so sure on.....probably because parts of the cake are on a different focal plane it's giving an odd effect...the base of the cake & top of the icing in focus ,the rest is oof...plays with my eye's ! WB looks good & the in focus centre part of the icing really pops off the screen (y) Composition........hmmm....needs to be more for me , one central cake just not really working,....3 in a circle shot from above maybe ? again just MHO & it appears to need a wee cw rotation

Swirl, the centre certainly looks very sharp, good detail (y), as you say, a little more dof. As Lynne mentioned, possibly a different composition for me too :)

Hi David

Very nice piping on that cupcake, I sort of agree with you on the DoF, but for me the cupcake case is stealing the thunder on this, the piping is so good, and does look like a soft rose, but the bright blue and pink dots keep pulling my eye away from it, with the case toned down I think the DoF would be working fine (y)

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. All good points and ones I will take on board. The missus is a cake maker and these were just some that were left over rather than ones that were made specifically for this theme.

I'll get her to do five more in plain cases and try again. What kind of dof would you choose? This was at 2.8 so perhaps 5.6? Suppose it's just trial and error?

Many thanks.
David.

It's quite interesting how much of a difference aperture can make to a shot like this....

I did some food based ones last year, and set up on tripod, and purposely went through apertures from 1.8 all the way up to 11 I think...... turns out I wish I'd gone further as the shallow DOF really didn't work the way I'd hoped.

I agree that more cakes should inject more interest. (Don't ask me how though!). But even if the shot goes wrong, it's never going to be a complete loss with yummy cakes like that!

I agree about the dof, the centre of the cake and the case seem to be spot on but a little nearer on the top and it's just out of focus.

Hi, colour and exposure look good but I agree its a little lonely and slightly more DoF would be good

Thanks guys, i will try and sort out a 'reshoot' this week if i can although she has 21 cakes to do for this weekend with it being Mothers Day. :jawdrop: o_O

This weeks entry is of i chained gate at a local ex pit site. I've gone a little OTT with the PP and have created almost a HDR effect shot. :puke:

:D

Linked
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Back