weekly De88ie's 52 2016 - Week 49 50 51

Thankyou for your comments. Andy the photo was taken very early on a summers morning, any advice welcome regarding the lighting. Cheers.
Thankyou Paul, dof noted for future photos. I thought it was a bit too white on the teddy, which spoils the shot slightly. Regarding the bee shot I have had trouble downloading photos to use. Hopefully sorted now. This one doesn't have any OOF stray grass.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Good stuff Emma .. I agree about the OOF stray grass being a bit distracting.

Hi Debbie, sorry for lack of comments, just trying to catch up ........

Abandoned - Certainly fits the theme :)

Camouflage - Nicely captured they aren't the easiest things to snap at the best of times and its nice and sharp

Dangerous - liking the positioning of the train just coming onto the crossing and therefore making the theme even more apt

Topical - as above and others have said, a powerful, moving and poignant image - very strong - well done :)

Living World - The poppy or bee would have been a nice interpretation but both together - win win !

as said a very powerful image for topical :clap:

The second bee shot without the OOF grass is my prefered of the 2, both lovely images though :)

Topical. A rather powerful image Debbie, and very nicely done.

The Living World. Lovely bright summer image!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Reshoot as earlier post with no OOF grass. Couldn't believe my luck when this not so little fella came for a sleep in my garden. He didn't like my interest and wouldn't smile for the camera. Thanked him for visiting with some cat food and a box to shelter in.

Last edited:
Sorry catching up with comments
Abandoned - it certainly has been, well spotted.
Camouflage - great picture lots of detail.
Danger - I don't think it needs a crop I like it as it is.
Topical - very poignant image
Living world - lovely colourful picture, I don't mind the oof grass
Spiky - perfect subject for the theme kind of him to visit, he might not of smiled for the camera but he certainly showed off his spikes

I wondered if one of those would make an appearance for spiky.
Well spotted and captured Debbie :)

Debbie, liking your reshoot image. Nothing overly wrong with the original entry. Spiky is a good shot and a bit of luck always is welcome,

Two excellent shots Debbie. Love the hedgehog shot .. .wondered what it was until I read your narrative. Well themed and beautifully taken. :clap:

Spiky.....I too wondered if we'd see one... Perfect for the theme. :)
Mine are still fast asleep!

Thanks for all the lovely comments. I nearly missed him in our garden, daughter heard him shuffling along as she walked down the path.
Hedgehog was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this weeks theme., but I never thought I would see one.
Agreed It would have been lovely if he had unfurled.

Hi Debbie

Topical - moving photo, well thought out and set up. Slightly greater DOF would have brought the teddy entirely into focus whilst still blurring out the grass, but then again I find this very hard to see on my camera's screen (fortunately I mostly shoot indoors where I have the luxury of reviewing on the laptop and returning if it's not right).

Living world - flora, fauna, feeding and the reproductive cycle all included in one pretty picture; doesn't get much more living than that! The reshot version is better.

Spiky - you were fortunate he turned up. Nice sharp capture of the spines, it's just a shame he didn't play ball and unfurl!

Hi Debbie,

Abandoned - A good shot, it can be frustrating when you can't get exactly what you were after but this works well.
Camouflage - a classic pose from the squirrel..and certainly is well camouflaged against the background. The cropped shot is nice but this one does work better for the theme.
Dangerous - I don't think it needs a crop, works well as it is. As others have said, a bit more blur on the train might work well. I also like the gate with the red dot, maybe composed so the dot was a bit more central and again would work well with a more blurred train.
Topical - a thought provoking image, well composed.
Living world - Those bees are tricky to capture, they just keep moving! Nicely done to get the bee sharp.

edited to add spiky and reshoot (somehow missed them a minute ago)

The reshoot is better without the OOF grass.

Spikey - Would love to see one of these in the wild. Shame he wouldn't smile for you :)

Last edited:
Great spot for spiky, Debbie! Really fortunate to have one appear this week :) Composition feels all a bit central - maybe pulled out a touch might help and moving slightly off centre, but otherwise it's spot on. And I think it counts as on theme ;)

P3130983.jpg P3130983 flowers artificial 15%.jpg
First pic is lightened on iPad/pixelmator. Second pic is macbook/affinity photo. Definitely a learning curve and a massive step up. Got a lot to learn.

Last edited:
They both look good to me Debbie. You're in good company on the learning front .... ok ok ... company anyway. :clap:

Hi Debbie - that's a nice arrangement and good positioning in frame for me. Negative space around the subject can work well and it does here. The only other thing to nail is focus / shutter-speed - there's a hint of softness on the petals to my eyes, but that could well be my eyes playing up?

Looking forward to more!

Hi Debbie, I like the first (left) the best Seems to sit better in the framing if that makes sense. Nice flowers and thinking

077.jpg P3200985.jpg
Both the same ring, first with a camera phone when it was new and one today with usual camera.
Not just my engagement ring, it has the most sentimental value of anything i own.

Last edited:
I agree with Tim about the background, but yes, its very personal Debbie :)

Hi Debbie.
Lovely shot for personal...on the hand, and beautiful ring too :)

Image 28-03-2016 at 21.18.jpg
Not the best pic, an iPhone photo. The effort is not actually
blowing out the candles. The effort was actually getting my
teenager to let me photograph him :)

I appreciate the effort having a couple of teenagers of my own. I like the way the candles light his face.

Hi Debbie, liking the first Personal, the ring is very nice. The lighting of his face from the candle is good and like the idea for the theme.

Ha ha - it seemed obvious what the effort was ... until I read your comment; well done on that achievement Debbie let alone the resulting image.

Back