weekly De88ie's 52 2016 - Week 49 50 51

Thankyou sirch. Will try that.
Just one other thing to make your life more complicated, if you quote (as I did above) or "like" (as above) or tag - @De88ie - people they get a notification that you did one or all of those things and are more likely to see that you replied to them rather than something else in your thread. Obviously it's up to you but when you get a lot of alert, especially with loads of people commenting on other people's 52s then it is easier to pick out anything that may warrant attention.

That said please don't worry about this, it's not a big thing, just a few handy tips.

Hi Debbie

loving your Captive ... it's the sort of theme interpretation I wish I'd thought of first. ;) The crop was a good idea.

Really like both Captive and Old. Really good interpretation of captive. Out of interest, where was "old" taken?
All Hallows Church Almondbury Huddersfield Yorkshire
A Grade I listed building
(Copied from wiki)
The 13th century chancel is flanked with 14th century chapels
The west tower was built in the 15th century possibly the result of an indulgence of 1485 for the repair of the church./B]
The nave roof is dated 1522 (battlements and pinnacles 1872-7). The south porch is 19th century
The 15th century stained glass in the east window and in the north chapel, was restored (and possibly re-set) by the 5th Earl of Dartmouth in 1879.

Hi Debbie
Old - Nice shot, both the date and the gargoyle. Nice straight hoizontals, shadows that retain detail :)
Captive - I agree with you, the crop improves on the original. Nice original non lego take on the theme. :clap:

Hi Debbie. I had been thinking of a chess set-up for Captive but glad I didn't as yours would have knocked spots off mine. Brilliantly taken - love it.

Loving the interpretation of captive - effective conceptual image, good lighting and composition - works well and lovely to see a thoughtful and creative response to the theme.

Best wishes for the next 50

Spooks

Struggled to decide between these two photos. In the end the clarity of the books was the deciding factor.
In the second photo the books weren't as clear, also I didn't know if the car reflection would be considered as a fault in the framing of the photo. To me it helped emphasise the public element of the photo.
image.jpeg

Metal - good contrast between the shiny and the black
Old - like the gargoyle and getting a date in too is a bonus
Captive - good interpretation I like both but the cropped one does give a more closed in feel.
Miniature - I like the picture and was intrigued by it... then realised why it was miniature brilliant.

Thank You Jon That looks really good. I thought it would be looked on as fault if I cropped the top off. I have a lot to learn.

Thankyou minx. Very kind comments. I saw this phone box about 3 months ago when I was a passenger in a car. As soon as I saw this weeks title I thought of using it. Took me ages to find it again luckily I have a very patient driver, my other half

Last edited:
Brilliant idea for the theme, first one for me, I like the crop, including the way the guy is only just in the image, and the books are clearly seen. The second is somewhat spoiled by the reflection of the car for me

Interesting take on miniature Debbie, not something I would have thought of so well done for thinking outside the box.
I think you're right to choose the one you did, though the contrast in the colours in the second one is better, but as you say, the books aren't as prominent.

I prefer your crop to Jon's, but I think there may be a tight square crop in there somewhere..

Thankyou sirch, I nearly left the guy out and just used the phone box library. It still suprises me that the image I thought I would use, when viewing them on my camera, totally changes once the photos are uploaded onto my iPad.
LC2. Thankyou, I do try to think outside the box. I think you have hit the nail on the head about the second one. It's definately the contrast that keeps me going back to it. Might have to reshoot this one just to keep me happy.

Last edited:
Posiview, Thankyou I agree with you about the tightness of the frame, the expression is perfect for the photo. Might reshoot, wider photo and lose the reflection of the car. Might as well reshoot the first pic with the girl in place of the guy whilst I'm there.

susiejb Thankyou I am glad you like it. I did want to show that it is in the street rather than on private land or in someone's garden, as seems to be very popular these days.

If you are reshooting this try one with a sign over telephone saying library just an idea, as for the shot No1 for me very imaginative and fits the theme very well great shot.

Thankyou tyrex1, great idea, though a bit worried I might get admonished by some of the locals. They are very protective of their beautiful village. There were lots of watchful people when I was taking the photographs.

Thankyou wallyboy. Will remember to ditch the reflection if I do a reshoot.

Ha ha - wonderful find and nicely taken. Nothing wrong with the original in my syes. Spot on for theme. :clap:

Clever idea Debbie, the first one for me (y)

Interesting take on miniature. Took me a while to figure out how it fit. :) I prefer the first one and the closer crop version.

Back