weekly djnick1985's 52 thread

I like that nick - great take on the theme

The edit really improved the picture for me, but I can see how a slight rotation will adjust the perspective to make this complete :0) Well done

rotated version

seasonbw_edited3_zps77d35a56.jpg

A lonely vote for the colour version here. It's almost a natural monochrome anyway, and the touches of different colour act as a bit of a counterpoint for that. Nice shot.

Nice one. Never done snowboarding.

Liking the angle and you've caught him in a decent position. Nice snow trail.

Looks a tad blurred and the matting :thinking: lower left is a bit distracting. I might even crop in from the left a tad.

Cheers.

Dont think i used the right apiture so had to sharpen it up quite alot so that could be why it looks blury. It was pitch black only a few spot lights so was trying to use my flashgun but it wasnt really workin.

Thanks for the crit though

very much liking the mono tracks, as adjusted. There's a great deal to like about the snowboarding shot: angle ("pose"), snow trail, colour accents, etc. Agree with others about the matting. Lots of negative space at the left, then the LOUD watermark (quite distracting). Would a crop work, cutting some of that left side away? And a softer watermark:cautious:?

I agree with the lower left crit. The snow trail gives it a great action feel though, well done.

gravity I like - blur does give a sense of movement if not much else here

At first look I thought you'd tried to crudely PP in a shot of the milky way / star galaxy to make it look like he was in space :LOL: which would have been quite crude! Glad to see its just the snow powder. (y)

Hi Nick :wave:

Season : Think it's the color version for me...adds a little something to the bleak feeling from the sky...but I prefer the crop on the B&W...always awkward I am ! Think it might just need a little exposure tweak ?

gravit.....an almost there action shot...not the easiest of things to get right especially in the conditions you had ie darkish .Like the angle you've caught , the snow trail , agree with losing a little from the lhs..:)

Good take on the theme and you've caught the moment well. The blur gives it some movement but as you say yourself it's a little bit too much which is a shame. Great effort, I can see you have an eye for composure.

Wonder what we will have next week? - see you then (y)

Agree with the others, great effort and I like the snow trail which adds to the overall effect (y)

week 4 - wild

it snowed pretty hard round here lastnight so i could only walk out, so i grabbed my camera and set to work on week 4

thanks for looking !

week4-wild-robin_zpse936cd82.jpg

Not quite in focus would be a really nice pic otherwise nice BG (y)

Nice DOF, would have liked a bit more room on the right hand edge but overall a really nice shot.

Last edited:
Lovely composition, just not quite sharp.

The great tit is definitely the better of the two, and looks more natural {wild} amongst the branches. (y)

The robin would have been good if it was sharp, so for that reason I prefer the second one.

There was no crop with the robin he actually got that close. Shot with canon 75-300mm lens at max aperture of 5.6 so i guess my question is how would i go about getting somthing sharp in this instence.

Last edited:
Hi Nick

I love birdie shots...the Tit is the better one for me , more focused & a little catch ligh in the eye :)

Do you have the exif details for the shots ? you say f5.4 but what shutter speed ? The 70-300 is a good lens I belive so I'd say your shutter speed needed increasing possibly by upping the ISO ?

camera - canon
camera model - EOS 500D
f-stop - f/5.6
Exposure time - 1/200 sec.
ISO speed - ISO400
focal length - 300mm
metering mode - spot

first pic - agree with others, slightly out of focus, but second excellent and great DoF

I'd echo the above comments on these shots Nick...

so i guess my question is how would i go about getting somthing sharp in this instence.

f-stop - f/5.6
Exposure time - 1/200 sec.
ISO speed - ISO400
focal length - 300mm

My understanding of most lenses is they perform at their sharpest 1 stop or so down from wide open, so f/6.3 or f/7.1 might be marginally sharper, but this would obviously reduce light coming in. Rule of thumb for handholding is to use SS the reciprocal of focal length (300mm would suggest 1/300 sec). Again, faster shutter = less light.

To offset the reduced light - you'd have to raise the ISO, potentially introducing noise. It's a balancing act that's not easy.

You can still sharpen (just the robin) in PP which should give a good result if you don't go too far.

Or you may have just missed focus?? :shrug:

Back