weekly DK's 52 of 2016 - Week 52 'Celebrate" added and COMPLETED

You mean to tell me that's not a real duck in it's mating plumage Dean?

Love it....great colours.

I did think about shoehorns but hey, I gotta leave that to Chris...
Feel free to jump in any time Dean, I'll have the lot of you trained by the end of the year (y)

Great idea Dean. the purple duck really blends in well with the surrounding foliage too (y)

Well it will do when the "flags" flower :D

I like that Dean ... great comp with that striking purple duck taking centre stage in that natural setting. Nicely done. :clap:

Lovely purple duck in her natural environment, a yellow duck wouldn't have worked half so well.

Last edited:
Nice one Dean and spot on for the theme, I had thought of something similar myself.
Thanks Chris - Damn now that would have been funny for both to do it :D

Nice work, great angle and DOF for me. Colours look spot on too.
Cheers Dan :)

Hi Dean - nice one for artificial as others have said re: colours and DOF choice. Very well put together shot :) One further thought is a crop in from the left so that the OOF grass near the left of the image becomes a "frame"? Might not work, though.
Cheers Paul, appreciate the suggestion, sounds good to me mate, but I am far behind so no time to do :)

Great colour contrast and DOF, and interesting point of view.
Thank you brndd :)

Feel free to jump in any time Dean, I'll have the lot of you trained by the end of the year (y)

Great idea Dean. the purple duck really blends in well with the surrounding foliage too (y)

Well it will do when the "flags" flower :D
Haaaaa thanks Chris :)

Was that taken before or after your bath,:)
Well.... I'd like you to know I was in there with it, and my lofa :D
nice fun shot love the colour in the duck,
Cheers :)

I like that Dean ... great comp with that striking purple duck taking centre stage in that natural setting. Nicely done. :clap:
Cool - Thanks Carl :cool:

Love it DK ....a super fun shot for the theme :)
Thank you Susie :)

That works well Dean. Nice framing of the duck using the plantlife and a non obvious colour for duckie itself.
Thanks Tim - The colour was the girl's choice, they didn't want a yellow duck in the bathroom :D

Dean nice image for Artificial, fun and colourful
Thank you :)

Lovely purple duck in her natural environment, a yellow duck wouldn't have worked half so well.
Thanks David... I think Purple is it's 'early Spring plumage' :whistle:

I agree with that! ;)
Thanks Sheylara :)

Fun image that really works a tweet ;-) Fun aside I do really like this.

Gaz
Thanks Gaz (y)

HI DK, very striking image, The purple duck really does stand out from BG
Thanks Allan :)

Nice one DK really like the loe POV and that purple duck really stands out
Thank you Mark :)

That's a fun shot for artificial - great colour :)
Cheers Emma :)

Really nice shot, the purple contrasts really well, clearly on theme and super shot :)
Thank you Sam :)

A nice cheerful shot, the purple duck is great.
Thanks... the Purple has really helped in this one by the sounds of it :)

Love the duck - lovely contrasting colours and a great fun image:)
Cool - Thank you Liz :cool:

Right... and quickly on to this week...

It has been manic at work for the last week, I didn't get in from work until midnight Mon evening and 22:00 on Tues, I was then up at 4:00 to drive away on business for two days, and when I eventually got back from being away I fell asleep for the entire evening :D

Anyway, a nice busy weekend too, I didn't get my camera out yesterday and have spent the morning setting out and cutting mounts for my first ever entries in my photography club I joined a couple of weeks ago... and really enjoyed that !!!

Weather is crappy so SORRY I had to resort to a SP as I threatened, this is something I have been wanting to do for a while as I have a new radio transmitter for my speedlight and wanted to try the off camera TTL.

I had a nice play about with it with different angles, but settled for some strong side lighting, hopefully it is not too strong, I had the flash compensation set at -3 to keep one side of my face dark(I think that is how it works), I wanted it to appear my face was being lit by the phone camera I was lining up for a shot... I hope my hand is oof enough and not too much of a distraction

anyway moving on, here is my - Wk 12 - a 'Personal' selfie looking photo

Wk 12 - Personal by TP DK, on Flickr

Living World: green with envy over this image :D. What's not to like. very sublime image

Spiky; good choice of theme. Stands out well from the background

Artificial: very vibrant image. certainly fits the them a purple glittery duck, hoping it's not sitting on a nest mothering its eggs, certainly gives that feeling

Personal: Immediately drawn to the actual portrait, so no distraction for me.The fact that you only see half your face adds mystery to the photo. Looks like you nailed it. lighting most definitely works.

Nicely done and nicely lit Dean (y)

Very good, I'm guessing it was hard to hold the phone at the correct angle since you can't see the screen so well done. I like the lighting, I think it works well with your objective of appearing to be lit by the phone.

Nicely done, great lighting and clever idea.
Cheers Clive :)

Nicely lit there Dean, imo you have achieved your objective.
Thanks Tim :)
(y) for having the patience to get it right.
And thanks again... in fact I did not get frustrated once which was good :)

Living World: green with envy over this image :D. What's not to like. very sublime image
Thanks Mandy, was a great place for sure :)

Spiky; good choice of theme. Stands out well from the background
Thanks again Mandy :)

Artificial: very vibrant image. certainly fits the them a purple glittery duck, hoping it's not sitting on a nest mothering its eggs, certainly gives that feeling
Strangely enough it laid Cream Eggs :D

Personal:
Immediately drawn to the actual portrait, so no distraction for me.The fact that you only see half your face adds mystery to the photo. Looks like you nailed it. lighting most definitely works.
Cool - Thanks you :cool:

Nicely done and nicely lit Dean (y)
Cheers Chris :)

Fab idea done real well. Like this very much.

Gaz
Thanks Gaz (y)

Very good, I'm guessing it was hard to hold the phone at the correct angle since you can't see the screen so well done. I like the lighting, I think it works well with your objective of appearing to be lit by the phone.
Cheers Chris, I tried several different ways to be fair, from holding still, to taking the pic and pretending it was a live image... took a bit of LR spot removal tool in the end :)

Artificial - Fun image and well set up
Personal - very clever that must have taken a while to get right.

Really smart take and arrangement there, Dean (y)

I agree with others' comments that the additional elements you've brought in (the hand, the phone) as well as the lighting and conversion really work. Yes, the histogram is very, very low - but that's the effect (I guess) you wanted and it works.

Nice composition DK - perfectly lit to my mind. Not easy at all to do and still retain that degree of sharpness. Spot on. :clap:

That's a clever twist on a selfie. I like the lighting a lot and the hand doesn't distract for me at all.
That's good then... I really wasn't sure, thanks Emma :)

Artificial - Fun image and well set up
Personal - very clever that must have taken a while to get right.
Thank you Minx :)

Really smart take and arrangement there, Dean (y)
Cheers Paul :)

I agree with others' comments that the additional elements you've brought in (the hand, the phone) as well as the lighting and conversion really work. Yes, the histogram is very, very low - but that's the effect (I guess) you wanted and it works.
It is low mate yes :)

Love your photo. Very nice and clever.
Thank you :)

Nice composition DK - perfectly lit to my mind. Not easy at all to do and still retain that degree of sharpness. Spot on. :clap:
Cool - Cheers Carl :)

Hi Dean, I'm sorry it's taken so long to get around to your thread, but I'm almost up to date with mine now and trying to return everyone's visits and then check the rest of the threads. Thanks for popping into mine a couple of times, and I'm here for a quick gallop through yours :)

Old - an ideal subject for this theme, with rich blacks and perfect DOF.
Metal - what a great selection! I do like the strong red 'thing' in the first one and the way it contrasts with the colours and texture of the grass, and the rusty scrap in the third one, but it's the shapes, colours and textures of #2 that really stand out for me. Great DOF and I like the 'DK' shape too :)
Captive - a really well posed scene with props that tell the story straightaway. The dark vignette and B&W processing add to the sense of danger.
Miniature - a neat little mushroom with the contrasting size and colour of the grass helping to show the size. Bright and colourful with the snow adding a seasonal bonus (y)
Happy - two lovely portraits and she definitely looks happy to be out with you :) I think the first is possibly the best one for this theme as the surroundings and camera give some clues as to why she might be happy.
Abandoned - a well spotted subject; with that massive crack high up it's a wonder it's still standing! Nice to see the colour and motion in the sky too, and a good choice not to convert to B&W.
Camouflage - nicely done! Super bold colours and sharp details, and it took a moment to spot the jelly tot :)
Danger - a nice choice of photos for this one, and some wild weather that was all-too familiar here all winter! I think #2 is the best fit for the theme, with the position and bold colours of the warning sign, but #3 is my favourite image of the set. There's just so much power in that wave and it's plain to see here, while the railing adds a real sense of scale. Glad you and your camera survived!
Topical - three good choices of subject, all bang on theme, but my favourite is the same as yours; the bright, bold colours and NHS logo really pop (y)
The Living World - stunning landscape with mirror-like reflections, a perfect sky and foreground interest from the rocks. Lovely, and definitely somewhere I want to visit.
Spiky - what a photogenic cactus! Great colours and details, and clearly spot on for the theme.
Reshoot (metal) - super shot. Lots of lovely fresh natural colours, echoed in the gradual discolouration of the watering can. Super textures and DOF too.
Artificial - made me smile :) I had something similar in mind for my back-up shot, so if my first choice doesn't work out don't be surprised to see something from my mum's garden pond! Most definitely artificial with those colours and sparkles. and a strong contrast when placed among the natural leaves and moss.
Personal - you can see the thought and work that has gone into this, and it's paid off with a strong and clever image that really holds the eye. The lighting and B&W processing are perfect :claps:

I'm following your thread now so will be keeping up in future, and looking forward to seeing more of your images :)

Last edited:
Back