Donnie's 52 2017 - Week 26,27,28 and all added!!!

Another clever shot, well executed and very well composed.

Hi Paul,
Works well, use of the less is more adage there I believe, it would have been easy to go ott.
So you have any versions with deeper DoF, as I feel it doesn't necessarily need to be quite so shallow (though, I see you used f/18, so I suspect not).

Week 11 - Dark by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 11 of 52. Shot at night in a local subway so is dark from that point of view but also, I wanted to do something that evokes dark undertones too, therefore the shot of the hooded figure in a gas mask in a familiar urban environment.
Shot with one off camera flash at 1/128th power, positioned camera left and above. Triggered using yongnuo flash triggers.
Processed in monochrome and high contrast to give it a harsh menacing feel.

Its certainly menacing :exit:very good indeed, nice conversion too, well thought out

Great photo. I like the negative space on the LHS and the processing. Very menacing indeed!

I'd agree with David that it has a creepy feel to it, so I think you nailed what you intended.

When I first saw it I wondered if you had done a composite, well done for getting out and setting the actual shot up. Just out of interest, what did you set the flash up on or did you have someone helping you and holding it in place? I've only just brought a pair of triggers for my flash so interested in starting out with off camera flash.

Dark is a great shot, just the right amount of ocf and I like that you can only see 1 eye.

(y)(y)

Love the composition and lines in this - so well planned and executed. The conversion works well too. For me it might have been even more menacing with the figure slightly further away and both eyes more shaded...but I feel very nit picky saying it - a great shot (y)

Powerful American Automobile

Buick by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

At a local Classic Car show today and love the big powerful American cars! Went for the low wide angle on this shot and the monochrome makes the shot and gives it some period style.

Last edited:
Hi Paul

.... loving your new avatar. Great compo and props ... cool. (y)

and what a fantastic pov on that Powerful old car. (y)

Structure - that is indeed a cracking image, no crit to offer.
Routine - this works well for the theme, I like the way you have processed the image.
Numbers - simple but fits into the theme.
Attractive - a very creative idea for the theme and you have executed your idea very well.
Dark - That does look like a menacing image, but it really works well for the theme.
Power - lovely curves on that car, good POV and the Mono works wonderfully for the Image.

Whole - I really like the movement in this shot especially the little drops.
Structure - A very striking silhouette I love the colours of the sky.
Routine - Right on theme I like the way you have processed it.
numbers - the first one is the better of the group well thought out.
Attractive - I had thought of doing somthing similar then remembered I had given the science kit with Iron filings in away you have captured the patterns well.
Dark - I too thought of the Wheres my mummy Doctor Who story certainly fits the Dark theme.
Power - good POV an interesting angle

Coffee from (Above)

Double walled mug of Nespresso coffee on wooden chopping board. Shot from above and lit by a single flash (with some tissue over it to diffuse) from the right and a white bounce card, camera left to fill the handle side of the mug. Triggered using a pair of Yongnuo wireless triggers.

This was shot back in February but Im using it as Im lagging behind due to work and other committments, so rather than lose the whole 52, my own rules allow me to do this because I have none :)

coffee by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Back