weekly Downton Mini's '52 for 2016 Week 52 Celebration THe FInal Chapter!!!

Hi Mark I do like that dangerous shot... very apposite and a really well taken image. Getting any sense of detail on those embers whilst not blowing all of the flames isn't easy. And the movement on the can really works too.

I like the framing you have from the edge of the stove and the base of the hearth - basically a really really good shot which is not easy to get right. Brilliant job!

Dangerous- Was thinking great fire picture then spotted the warning symbol on the can. Definately Dangerous I hope like mine it is not as bad as it looks.

Dangerous, that's certainly playing with fire Mark, great idea, nicely executed too :)

Is that a gas canister you've got your brother holding in the flames?
You've captured the fire very nicely there, I like the way that the embers / wood are the sharp focus rather than the can.

My favourite for "living world" is the first one, great eyes!

I find the DoF of the macro shots not quite deep enough, but I have the same problem whenever I use my macro lens...

Rory is lively ... love the eyes. (y)

Living world - nice selection and a mix of subject matter - #2 is my fave - lovely looking dog and that really seems to capture its personality :)

Dangerous - Oh my - I have a log burner and know how hot it will be at that distance - brave brother and a definite on theme interpretation !

Hi Mark I do like that dangerous shot... very apposite and a really well taken image. Getting any sense of detail on those embers whilst not blowing all of the flames isn't easy. And the movement on the can really works too.

I like the framing you have from the edge of the stove and the base of the hearth - basically a really really good shot which is not easy to get right. Brilliant job!

Dangerous- Was thinking great fire picture then spotted the warning symbol on the can. Definately Dangerous I hope like mine it is not as bad as it looks.

Dangerous, that's certainly playing with fire Mark, great idea, nicely executed too :)

I love that first one of Rory - those eyes are mesmerising and you've captured them beautifully! The dangerous shot looks...dangerous!! I think I'd be happier holding the camera, too! ;)

1st image, very nice Mark, best of the four for me. Perfect for the Living world theme.

Thanks for all your comments everyone. They are very much appreciated

I was worried with my dangerous re shoot that my camera/lens would be affect by the heat it was very warm.....

Sorry that should have been I was worried that the can would get to warm......

Now onwards to Artificial......

Now for 2 for Artificial

First up a bit of a shoehorn and also a little tongue in cheek

Artificial 2 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

I entered this in a club competition (although in B&W) and the judge said it looked like a filter had been applied to create the ice and there for Artificial ( I am still trying to find said filter!)

Now for an image I took with the theme in mind

Artifical 1 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

I really need to get myself a small lighting tent and set of lights for this sort of shot

I do like using edible props makes it even more rewarding

For me the barges could do with a bit more space above but nice photo. I love the cream egg shot, made me smile, good idea for the theme, nice details

For me the barges could do with a bit more space above but nice photo. I love the cream egg shot, made me smile, good idea for the theme, nice details

Thanks Chris I had to crop the picture of the boats as there is a modern building just above them an I didn't want them in the image I would loce to be abel to do the shot again with a decent cameras as it was taken on an ageing Konica Minota Dimage Z5!

Creme egg, you can't get more artificial than that, notwithstanding all the added "stuff" that goes into them ;)
Clever idea Mark (y)

Nicely done egg shot, but my preference is with the narrow boats, even if it is a little shoehorned ;)
Understand you needed to crop tightly at the top, perhaps losing a bit of the water at the bottom, giving a bit of a pano feel would have made it feel slightly better balanced?

Last edited:
Edible props is something but a crème egg takes things to another level ... brilliant. I agree with @LC2 ... the boats are my preference too.

The egg shot....Brillian idea for the theme, and very nicely shot and PP'd. :)

Hi Mark

The chocolate egg is a great idea but, yes the lighting, aperture too, need perfecting.

The boats ... most pleasing ... just the shed roof apex!

Hi Mark

I like your shot for artificial - it's a very clever idea and the composition is pretty close for me. Maybe a touch tight at the bottom? Agree with David re: aperture, just so you can get the front and back of the egg in focus, perhaps?

I wouldn't bother with a lighting tent. I bought one and have never used it... but I do know it tends to create fairly dull, flat light. I guess it's ok for ebay product shots etc., but with a bit of knowledge and time you can create FAR more impactful shots with just basic lighting and home-made modifiers.

The boat shot is good, but I think the egg shot has more potential!

Haha, definitely artificial, but still delicious ;)

Creme egg, you can't get more artificial than that, notwithstanding all the added "stuff" that goes into them ;)
Clever idea Mark (y)

I like your barge shot, lovely subtle colours and your cream egg certainly fits the theme.

I do like that shot of the barges; it looks very, very cold! The egg is a great idea and made me smile :) Well done on the idea and the set up - it looks very tempting!

Nicely done egg shot, but my preference is with the narrow boats, even if it is a little shoehorned ;)
Understand you needed to crop tightly at the top, perhaps losing a bit of the water at the bottom, giving a bit of a pano feel would have made it feel slightly better balanced?

Edible props is something but a crème egg takes things to another level ... brilliant. I agree with @LC2 ... the boats are my preference too.

The egg shot....Brillian idea for the theme, and very nicely shot and PP'd. :)

Excellent idea with the egg shot for the theme Mark ...edible props are definitely the way to go.

Fun shot for artificial! I think I might prefer it if the top of the egg was in focus, too - but great idea :)

Nice artificials, the egg looks tasty.

Hi Mark

The chocolate egg is a great idea but, yes the lighting, aperture too, need perfecting.

The boats ... most pleasing ... just the shed roof apex!

Hi Mark

I like your shot for artificial - it's a very clever idea and the composition is pretty close for me. Maybe a touch tight at the bottom? Agree with David re: aperture, just so you can get the front and back of the egg in focus, perhaps?

I wouldn't bother with a lighting tent. I bought one and have never used it... but I do know it tends to create fairly dull, flat light. I guess it's ok for ebay product shots etc., but with a bit of knowledge and time you can create FAR more impactful shots with just basic lighting and home-made modifiers.

The boat shot is good, but I think the egg shot has more potential!

Thanks for taking the time to drop by everyone and for the comments the prop was certainly delicious :LOL:

I will revisit the boat shot and see if I can improve it.

Some years ago we followed the motorboat though Netherton Tunnel which is over 9000 feet long which is fine apart from the fact the President is a steam boat made it quite interesting!!

Yep that'll work Mark, its certainly personal, but I did expand the image to read the certificates :D

Nice idea It works well :)

I really like the angle Mark. Fits the theme nicely.
Wish I'd kept stuff like that in a frame...never did :(

Living world - a good selection of images, the dog shots win the votes for me.

Re shoot - of dangerous certainly fits the theme, looks very hot indeed.

Artificial - two good images for the theme, but I do like the cream egg shot.

Personal - works for the theme, not to keen on the clipped frames but time to move on.

Artificial - I like the barges best even though they are not artificial. the egg is a fun idea and definitely fits the theme

Nice b&w for your artificial, nice angle too.

Thanks Clive

That'll do nicely Mark. Like the perspective and subtle reflections

Thanks Carl i wasn't sure about the reflections but I couldn't do anything with them

Yep that'll work Mark, its certainly personal, but I did expand the image to read the certificates :D

Nice idea It works well :)

Thanks Cobra Ha Ha they are quite old now not sure I can remember anything I learnt now!

Hi, not sure why you didn't shoot it straight on, certainly fits the theme

I did look at doing a straight on shot but thought it was a little boring.

I really like the angle Mark. Fits the theme nicely.
Wish I'd kept stuff like that in a frame...never did :(

Thanks Viv

They are definitely 'well qualified' for the theme, Mark! I like the angle, too and you've controlled the reflections well.

Thanks Emma I like what you did there :D

I like the angle, not sure about the cropped corners tho.

Thanks David I did try to to crop the corners but the angle makes it really difficult

It definitely works well for Personal, Mark, and B&W was a good choice. I probably wouldn't have cropped the corners off, but I do like the angle you've chosen (y)

Thanks Andrea

The certificates work well for Personal and I don't mind the cropped corners as I don't think a face on composition would work nearly as well.

Thanks Beuja I tried a straight on shot and it didn't work as well

Living world - a good selection of images, the dog shots win the votes for me.

Re shoot - of dangerous certainly fits the theme, looks very hot indeed.

Artificial - two good images for the theme, but I do like the cream egg shot.

Personal - works for the theme, not to keen on the clipped frames but time to move on.

Thanks you Mandy I appreciate you taking the time to comment on all of my images

Artificial - I like the barges best even though they are not artificial. the egg is a fun idea and definitely fits the theme

Thanks Minx

Effort well this really gave me something to think about...

After coming up with several non starters I came up with this my Fitbit report after a Spin class

EFFORT by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

It was this or a selfie and you really don't want a selfie of me!!

I like the DOF Mark, and the heart rate!

Nice and original take on the brief Mark. The limited focus area really draws your eye.

Back