DP’s 52 2019 - Week 29 Closed - ADDED

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
No
So I thought I would give this a go again this year, I think last year I lasted until about week 8 or so, I took on way too much attempting to film my exploits each week and in the end it took away from what I set out to achieve, which was really to just get out with my camera more!

With that said, I will be attempting to just take and upload an image each week and try not to ‘overthink’ it...

Another reason I want to try again this year is that I have upgraded my kit from my Nikon D3300 to a full frame Sony A7iii. It will prove a good opportunity to go out and use the camera more and get used to the new menus and settings.

So wish me luck, I’m probably going to need it...

Certainly right on theme. Good start to the 52 and the year! Congrats.
Thanks very much!
At first I thought oh it’s felt tip pens or something, art for a new hobby until I looked close and saw what the “pens” are.
Nice, I like it
Ha ha yes they do look a bit like it! Thank you.
Congrats on New, a nice crop but a shame about Photobucket being so big.
I know, I will be using Flickr once I reorganize my images on there!
He's gonna keep us all guessing?

Nice new image
[emoji6][emoji6]
New life eh?
Congratulations I think !
Tight crop in works for the shot I feel, as it focuses you on the contents of the box.
Yes indeed!! Thank you!
nice capture definitely looks like something NEW is on the way :D
It is indeed! Thanks for looking!

Congratulations! It did take me a second or two. I was thinking pens or memory sticks till I saw the 'clearblue' The only question is why so many?Could you not believe it?

Congratulations! fantastic for the theme but a serious undertaking just to get this photo

Congratulations! What a great subject to get the project going!
Thanks Michael!
New life, lovely start to your 52’s Daniel, congratulations and good luck with your 52 this year.
Thank you Susie!
Very interesting interpretation....definitely 'outside the box' thinking!
Well composed and good use of colour.
Well done and congratulations!(y)
Thanks very much Gareth!
Welcome back, Daniel, and congratulations! It's one of the most original takes on the first theme and your composition draws the eye straight to the all-important symbol. Nicely done (y)
Thank you that's kind of you to say!
Congratulations! It did take me a second or two. I was thinking pens or memory sticks till I saw the 'clearblue' The only question is why so many?Could you not believe it?
Ha ha no we couldn't, had to make sure ;) thanks for looking!
Congratulations! fantastic for the theme but a serious undertaking just to get this photo
Haha almost as if it was planned eh!

Here is my Week 2 image for 'Clean'. Had to make this B&W purely because the lack of interesting colour! If I had more time I thought about putting a red sock or item of clothing in with whites (I know!!!!) and long exposure to see if the colour would run but with other commitments I ran out of time!

Daniel

Well on theme for the New Image, interesting use of angles, lots of Interest and congrats for later on.
Clean Theme also works well, shame about the lack of colour, but Its well processed to B&W especially the lighter tones.

Pete

Nicely done and bang on theme. Motion blur would have worked, too, and the red sock idea would have produced an interesting shot, for sure Maybe a square crop just to include the full door?

Last edited:
Bang on for the theme, and a nice, sharp, well composed image to boot!
Nicely done.
Personally I wouldn't have minded the selective/spot colour method, it works well in some images...
...although granted it has been overused elsewhere.
It would have worked for this image, however, but then you wouldn't have achieved the B&W technique...
...the image works well as a straight mono anyway.
(y)

Good idea for what has proved to be a deceptively challenging theme, Daniel (y) I think you've already noted any suggestions I might have made, like adding a bright colour in the wash or capturing some motion blur, so you're already aware of what you might do differently another time. The beauty of the 52 is that you can bear it in mind for an optional re-shoot.

Daniel, i would like to see some movement on the washing and all of the door in view.
Yeah I was trying to keep the full door in shot but the buttons on the machine are too close and are quite disrupting from the main focal point.
Daniel

Well on theme for the New Image, interesting use of angles, lots of Interest and congrats for later on.
Clean Theme also works well, shame about the lack of colour, but Its well processed to B&W especially the lighter tones.

Pete
Thanks Peter!
Nicely done and bang on theme. Motion blur would have worked, too, and the red sock idea would have produced an interesting shot, for sure Maybe a square crop just to include the full door?
Yeah I did a few motion blur shots but it just made it look like it was full up with water :LOL: Thanks for commenting Bob!
Bang on for the theme, and a nice, sharp, well composed image to boot!
Nicely done.
Personally I wouldn't have minded the selective/spot colour method, it works well in some images...
...although granted it has been overused elsewhere.
It would have worked for this image, however, but then you wouldn't have achieved the B&W technique...
...the image works well as a straight mono anyway.
(y)
Thanks Gareth!
Good idea for what has proved to be a deceptively challenging theme, Daniel (y) I think you've already noted any suggestions I might have made, like adding a bright colour in the wash or capturing some motion blur, so you're already aware of what you might do differently another time. The beauty of the 52 is that you can bear it in mind for an optional re-shoot.
Yes definitely, will bear all advice in mind going forward, it definitely makes you think for next time! Thank you!

I'm a big fan of the mundane, for me it not having motion and the black & white has given it some atmosphere. (Maybe brighter in the centre and darker at the edges)

I agree that it's good without the motion blur and also not sure that a splash of colour would add much to it. I like it alot as it is, the only niggle is the two lines at the top don't match up as you can see all the line on the left hand side but only half on the right.

Hi Daniel think I tend to agree with a few of the others a little motion would of been really nice and to top it off your suggestion of a little colour superb

Clean
It works well for the theme. A bit of movement would have been nice, but i understand your reasoning

Good luck with your 2019 challenge.

New - congratulations on the new arrival, and a nice record shot.
Clean - works for the theme I dont mind the mono maybe a square crop and some motion blur would added a bit more interest to the image.

Week 3 - Open

I had some grand ideas of finding some neon 'Open' signs this week on store fronts but after doing some walking around in the cold once the sun had gone in I couldn't find any so I was left scratching my head until this morning when I came to work and saw this, a glue bottle 'Left Open' and subsequently stuck to the board!

It was taken on my Samsung S8 due to not having my camera with me but it was the best I could come up with this week.

Excellent image Daniel!
I really like the DoF here, and great use of natural light...may I ask, did you use some kind of reflector to light the front of the tube?
Forgive my ignorance, I know nothing of how mobile phone cameras work....do they have a flash?
Nevertheless, it's a great image, and that bubble....perfect focal point, and great detail....love it!(y)

That's a great last minute find. Works perfectly
Thanks Ian!!
That works fine for the theme and I like the yellow glow in the shadow under the tube. Slight shame that you didn't get the end of the tube in the shot.
Yes I agree! Thanks for taking a look!
Mobile images just get better and better as I love my one. A good open shot and nice focus on the tube and the bubble is a plus.
Cheers Dave, appreciate it!
Excellent image Daniel!
I really like the DoF here, and great use of natural light...may I ask, did you use some kind of reflector to light the front of the tube?
Forgive my ignorance, I know nothing of how mobile phone cameras work....do they have a flash?
Nevertheless, it's a great image, and that bubble....perfect focal point, and great detail....love it!(y)
No, no light used, all natural from the window light. This was shot without flash however our office was lit with out LED downlighters. Thanks for the comments!

I like that. I think it's the casual oof view out of the window contrasting with the sharply in focus subject and the colours around it.
SteveSC has a point about the end of the tube, but perhaps a tighter crop would fix it (making it look deliberate).

That's a great last minute find. Works perfectly
Thanks Ian!!
That works fine for the theme and I like the yellow glow in the shadow under the tube. Slight shame that you didn't get the end of the tube in the shot.
Yes I agree! Thanks for taking a look!
Mobile images just get better and better as I love my one. A good open shot and nice focus on the tube and the bubble is a plus.
Cheers Dave, appreciate it!
Excellent image Daniel!
No, no light used, all natural from the window light. This was shot without flash however our office was lit with out LED downlighters. Thanks for the comments!

Back