DP’s 52 2019 - Week 29 Closed - ADDED

Open - I like the levitating glue, I agree it is a shame you chopped the end off but good focus on the leaked glue.
Distant - I like the last one best too, the sky is a great colour and I like the foot prints
Cold - I love the colour of the sky, can't decide if I prefer the original or the the crop better, I like both

Last edited:
Cold
It looks cold and sort of warm with the warm colours in sky. I think the cropped version works it bit better.
Thank you!
I like the cropped version, even the sky has a cold look to it, composition works really well for the theme.
Thanks Susie!
Hi Daniel,

The crop for Cold is the one for me. No distracting lines and lovely colours.
Cheers Lee!
Open - I like the levitating glue, I agree it is a shame you chopped the end off but good focus on the leaked glue.
Distant - I like the last one best too, the sky is a great colour and I like the foot prints
Cold - I love the colour of the sky, can decide if I prefer the original or the the crop better, I like both
Thanks Minx!

Week 6 - Waiting

This was a bit of a gun and run this week, as it was by the off chance I was walking near the station and there is a bridge over the road at a level crossing, a train had just gone actually so I was expecting no-one to be stood at the platforms edge however I caught this lady standing there in a red jacket and took a few shots.

I wanted this image where the platform edge would lead you into the photo and fortunately there were quite a few leading lines to her which helped greatly!

Last edited:
I really like this one. Maybe the sky and even the bridge are not necessary(?) as for me all the interest is in the bottom half. At first I thought it was an example of selective colouring as the red jacket really stands out, but then I saw the yellow line and the green weeds. Perfect for the theme.

Great image, the colour really sets it off and I like the candid style, but i'd agree that a crop to take the sky out may work better (just my opinion).

Like it, i like the tones and mood of the image. The lady's jacket really stands out. I agree about perhaps cropping the sky out, but that'ts only as my web browser wasn't at full size and initially didn't see the sky. Great work!

I really like this one. Maybe the sky and even the bridge are not necessary(?) as for me all the interest is in the bottom half. At first I thought it was an example of selective colouring as the red jacket really stands out, but then I saw the yellow line and the green weeds. Perfect for the theme.
Thanks Bob, I did think about a good old selective colour but in the end I don't think it needed it!
Great image, the colour really sets it off and I like the candid style, but i'd agree that a crop to take the sky out may work better (just my opinion).
Cheers Jim!
Like it, i like the tones and mood of the image. The lady's jacket really stands out. I agree about perhaps cropping the sky out, but that'ts only as my web browser wasn't at full size and initially didn't see the sky. Great work!
Thanks Dom!
I like the sky, it provides mood, the red coat and yellow line really make this pop.
Thanks Ian!
I agree with Ian, the sky adds to the pic with the colours below
Cheers Chris (y)

Agreed here too, the inclusion of the sky and the bridge help the image as does the tall crop....draws the eye nicely.
The colour treatment here is top notch too, the red is brilliant!
And she is standing in a little patch of well lit platform....almost a spotlight....perfect framing.
Very nice work Daniel!(y)

Very nice shot, the red coat sets it off nicely. :)

Gotta love a red jacket - and a nice pool of light to draw the eye in - works for me!

Quite a lot of train / station shots this week ;)
Don't be afraid to crop. I don't think you need the full portrait version of the shot and whilst you have an angry sky, it doesn't really add much.
I would crop half way into the bridge (so you can still see the head of the person walking across - hmm actually maybe a little higher) and up a little from the bottom. Almost a square crop in-fact.

Waiting. Nice image, i like the darkness to it and the woman in the red coat really draws the eye.

Agreed here too, the inclusion of the sky and the bridge help the image as does the tall crop....draws the eye nicely.
The colour treatment here is top notch too, the red is brilliant!
And she is standing in a little patch of well lit platform....almost a spotlight....perfect framing.
Very nice work Daniel!(y)
Cheers Gareth! The fact this was all a bit of a rush job actually turned out ok, right time, right place as they say!
Very nice shot, the red coat sets it off nicely. :)
Thanks Rick (y)
Gotta love a red jacket - and a nice pool of light to draw the eye in - works for me!
Cheers Dave (y)
Quite a lot of train / station shots this week ;)
Don't be afraid to crop. I don't think you need the full portrait version of the shot and whilst you have an angry sky, it doesn't really add much.
I would crop half way into the bridge (so you can still see the head of the person walking across - hmm actually maybe a little higher) and up a little from the bottom. Almost a square crop in-fact.
I know, I was afraid of this!! Thanks Tim, I might go back and take a look at a square crop!
Waiting. Nice image, i like the darkness to it and the woman in the red coat really draws the eye.
Cheers Rob!

Tested out the square crop, I'm not sure about it personally, I still think the sky adds something to the image!

What a great image this is for the theme, it reminds me a bit of the little girl in red from Schindler`s List if you just had the ladies coat in colour.
Thanks Dave! Yes you're right, probably one of those rare times you can get away with selective colour!

It is a great sky, Daniel, but I'm not sure you need it. My first thought was that it might suit a square crop and I see that had been discussed and tried. I think you could take even more off the top as all the interest is in the woman in the red coat, the yellow lines and the other leading lines in the frame, but it's your image. If it was mine I'd probably crop at about the halfway level in the white panels and a little off the bottom too :) All of that aside, it's a great spot and a perfect fit for the theme (y)

I found this one quite tough this week, not helped by the fact that I had inadvertedly transferred and then subsequently edited JPEG files rather than RAW files :facepalm:

So here are some shots for 'Rough', both Rough Waves and Rough Sea (trying to get away with one here as the sea was harsh but not as rough as I would have liked!

It is a great sky, Daniel, but I'm not sure you need it. My first thought was that it might suit a square crop and I see that had been discussed and tried. I think you could take even more off the top as all the interest is in the woman in the red coat, the yellow lines and the other leading lines in the frame, but it's your image. If it was mine I'd probably crop at about the halfway level in the white panels and a little off the bottom too :) All of that aside, it's a great spot and a perfect fit for the theme (y)
Thanks for your comments Andrea!
So nearly did something similar Daniel. Nice opportunist capture
Cheers Ian!
I do like it with the sky and I also thought at 1st it was selective colouring the red just sets it off.
Thanks Peter (y)

Hi Daniel

Good to see you back

New - Great image for the theme congratulations

Clean - nicely composed, I like the crop and the B&W conversion

Open - Nice use of DoF to focus your eye lovely lighting coming through the window.

Distant - Third one for me too a bit more detail in there.

Cold - Much prefer the cropped version looks much cleaner I like the little but of 'warmth' in the sky.

Waiting - Again it's the cropped version for me the lady in the red coat really stands out.

Rough - Oh tough one I like both but I think No 2 just takes it for me having the shoreline adds a little more interest.

What a lovely sunset. What's not to like about it. Agree with those before me the second image is the best due to the shoreline adding interest.

Two great images with lots of rough water to suit the theme. I also think I prefer the second one, although it's a close one as I really like the foreground waves in the first.

Hi Daniel

Good to see you back

New - Great image for the theme congratulations

Clean - nicely composed, I like the crop and the B&W conversion

Open - Nice use of DoF to focus your eye lovely lighting coming through the window.

Distant - Third one for me too a bit more detail in there.

Cold - Much prefer the cropped version looks much cleaner I like the little but of 'warmth' in the sky.

Waiting - Again it's the cropped version for me the lady in the red coat really stands out.

Rough - Oh tough one I like both but I think No 2 just takes it for me having the shoreline adds a little more interest.
Hi Mark! Thank you for the comments and the welcome, much appreciated!
Both great shots for ROUGH. I'll agree with Mark, the second has the edge for me.
Thanks Bob!
What a lovely sunset. What's not to like about it. Agree with those before me the second image is the best due to the shoreline adding interest.
Thank you Mandy!
Two good shots for rough Daniel, my pick is the first shot as even though the waves are small it`s still rough.
Thanks Dave, yes the waves are quite small, a tenuous link some would say....;)
2 nice shots for rough works well with the sunset I prefer no2 I think.
the sea is a lot rougher than the one I did :)
Thanks Peter!
Number one for me with the sunset. Nice
Cheers Chris, appreciate it!
Two great images with lots of rough water to suit the theme. I also think I prefer the second one, although it's a close one as I really like the foreground waves in the first.
Thanks Carl!

The square crop for waiting is the one for me. Having the person there in such a vibrant coat and in some light really makes it the image.

Rough. I prefer the second shot. A tight shot closer to the waves might have made the sea look rougher maybe?

Two beautiful sunsets, Daniel! They're both colourful and I think both have enough waves to meet the theme, but my favourite is #2 because of that unusual angle showing the beach disappearing into the distance and the lines of posts running down the beach into the sea, meeting the waves coming up.

Both images are really good Daniel.
The first is more fitting for the theme, and those sunset colours are amazing.
The second is my favourite too....the composition is spot on and as Andrea said, the angle works very well.
Great work.(y)

The square crop for waiting is the one for me. Having the person there in such a vibrant coat and in some light really makes it the image.

Rough. I prefer the second shot. A tight shot closer to the waves might have made the sea look rougher maybe?
Thanks Lee!
Two beautiful sunsets, Daniel! They're both colourful and I think both have enough waves to meet the theme, but my favourite is #2 because of that unusual angle showing the beach disappearing into the distance and the lines of posts running down the beach into the sea, meeting the waves coming up.
Thank you Andrea, seems a popular choice!
Both images are really good Daniel.
The first is more fitting for the theme, and those sunset colours are amazing.
The second is my favourite too....the composition is spot on and as Andrea said, the angle works very well.
Great work.(y)
Cheers Gareth, appreciate it (y)

Rough No1 is lovely - if not that rough. That sky is gorgeous :)

Back