weekly DrRusty's 2012 Photo 52 Challenge -WK16 (Pride Added)

Wk12 Magical (Joker) by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

After being so far behind and needing to catch up I am retracting the Joker for week11 and playing this one for magical. It is a stone sculpture by my daughter whilst we were on holiday over Easter and that does make it "magical" for me as does the loverly DOF produced by my now favorite lens the 50mm F1.8 :D

Photo 1

Wk13 Vice by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

Photo 2

Wk13 Vice by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

I had to play this one straight and had a few minutes ot get the best photo of this subject. Not that exciting and well obvious but I pushed it to a B&W conversion to age it, well the vice is quite old orginally attached to a Blacksmiths Anvil. I have submitted two manilt ot give photo 1 some context but I prefer number 2.

Wk14 Entrance by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

After so many weeks behind I am nearly caught up :D

I saw this entrance (Isle of Bute Castle) which happend to be set for a wedding. Waited for the B&G to leave but they took too long. Anyway caught the Piper entering the castle.

I have an idea for soft hopefully get it done tomorrow and actually be up todate (a shocking thought)

Richard, Really like Magical, I can see why it would be for you, so not really crowbarred into the theme. Lovely DOF

Vice, a straightforward interpretation, but it works, the mono suits perfectly, I prefer the second.

Entrance, fits the theme perfectly, the not quite central angle, I think works as it does something for the darker wall on the right

Sheesh...I've noticed I'm missed a few members themes lately and yours is another :thinking:

I'll post of your recent submissions:

Cracking narrative to magical and it's a decent photograph. I'd crop out the green band at the top and it's slightly over exposed.

Vice, I've seen a few of these and I always prefer them symmetrical. Looks like a well used vice.

Entrance is a cracker. I really like where his is in the frame. Nice action in his body movement. Nice colours. A crop off the left and right, to exclude the darker wall. I wonder what a lower perspective would have looked like?

Cheers and (y) for catching up.

Sheesh...I've noticed I'm missed a few members themes lately and yours is another :thinking:

I'll post of your recent submissions:

Cracking narrative to magical and it's a decent photograph. I'd crop out the green band at the top and it's slightly over exposed.

Vice, I've seen a few of these and I always prefer them symmetrical. Looks like a well used vice.

Entrance is a cracker. I really like where his is in the frame. Nice action in his body movement. Nice colours. A crop off the left and right, to exclude the darker wall. I wonder what a lower perspective would have looked like?

Cheers and (y) for catching up.

Keeping up to date with my posts is hard enough but I am completely failing at reviewing everyone elses submissions.

I had thought of a low angle but there was a sign in the way !! grrr !! and I had only moments to capture the piper (it looked wrong without someone in the doorway) So whilst the B&G were elusive I did capture the Bagpiper.

Thank you - I'm back on track and will endevour to keep up with weekly submissions from now on.

Richard, Really like Magical, I can see why it would be for you, so not really crowbarred into the theme. Lovely DOF

Vice, a straightforward interpretation, but it works, the mono suits perfectly, I prefer the second.

Entrance, fits the theme perfectly, the not quite central angle, I think works as it does something for the darker wall on the right

I'll keep Magical as a joker and not look to tedious links to the theme to justify it, but thank you.

I do prefer no2 as it shows the entire vice. I would have liked something more but space and time just didn't allow.

I'm not sure about the darker wall to the right but it was there and croping might loose too much from the image.

Hi Richard, its easy to get behind isn't it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Magical, yes keep it as a joker if thats what you want, its a nice play with DOV like the low POV but am with Andy lose the green band at the top it does catch the eye.

Vice, yes literally, think the crop on the first is a little tight for me i'd have liked to see it a touch higher up in the frame, the second one i like.

Entrance, cracking i like everything about this, i like the movement in his kilt, and the way you can see the wind in the fabric on the flowers, minor niggle the dark patch of wall on the right i think spoils it, have you tried a crop that removes this and squares the rest up?

Entrance, cracking i like everything about this, i like the movement in his kilt, and the way you can see the wind in the fabric on the flowers, minor niggle the dark patch of wall on the right i think spoils it, have you tried a crop that removes this and squares the rest up?

Entrance edit (cropped) by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

This seemed ot be the best crop but I hadn't realised I was so off centre on the bridge !

Wk15 Soft by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

Inspired by others this photograph was shot this morning and it was very tasty to ! (more importantly I am now ahead on the challenge for the first time :clap: )

oh my I don't think I've seen your thread at all yet - weird how you can completely miss some

anyway to make it easier (lol) I will say that I can't really fault any of them although I think the entrance shot might have looked better with more at the top (sorry)

the rest are fine

the egg is brilliant however, my fave so far of yours :clap:

sturisoma said:
oh my I don't think I've seen your thread at all yet - weird how you can completely miss some

anyway to make it easier (lol) I will say that I can't really fault any of them although I think the entrance shot might have looked better with more at the top (sorry)

the rest are fine

the egg is brilliant however, my fave so far of yours :clap:

Thank you

There are so many threads I can't keep track. I guess getting behind hasn't helped as my post was buried.

I will try harder this week to look everyone elses posts

Hi Richard. I'm behind commenting as well, still plenty of threads I've not visited yet but I can't keep up with the ones I've already visited:bonk:

Magical, Makka Pakka would LOVE it;-) Great DOF except something is breaking the horizon BG blur?

Vice, number one for me. I love the detail and the lighting.

Entrance. I think the problem here is the actual doorway is not central, so a step right & a slight pan left would probably have solved it! But like you say it was a quick shot and not much time to do anything. As it is I think it works well with the pink against the blue piper(y)

Soft, Cracking shot (pun intended) the DOF and composition is brilliant with the cup blurred in the BG! The white is perfect and contrasts lovely against the rest of the egg! Definitely your best shot so far:clap:

Hi Richard

love your Soft shot , great colors , great DOF & a wonderfully soft looking egg....scrummy :clap:

Quite liked your original Entrance shot but the crop does work better...nice movement in the ribbons & the piper in just the right spot...well spotted & caught (y)

Loving the soft Richard i can just taste that runny yoke hope you mopped it all up with those soldiers, in terms of photography can't see anything wrong with this at all, the DOF exposure and focus look spot on to me

Nice set of photos Richard....as Summer said don't think I've seen your thread..sorry..

kirkers1978 said:
Nice set of photos Richard....as Summer said don't think I've seen your thread..sorry..

Thank you

I can't keep track of who I have and haven't seen. I need to use the spread sheet to produce a check sheet.

Wk16 Pride by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

Flag 2 by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

As we get close to the Queen's Jubilee and the Olympics I guess a little National Pride could be shown ? but I we aren't as comfortable with showing such pride and other nations.

n.b. both are quick edits from jpeg altough I have the raw files.

Last edited:
Hi Richard. Nice simple take on the theme, which couldn't say pride more.

I like the first shot best. I like the slightly back lit flag, the slight flare in the
lower left; very evocative :)

The other one's good too, but I thnk I'd have preferred to see the movement blur over all f it, or none of it.

Last edited:
Union Flag :clap:

Pi**es me right of that the flag has been hijacked by certain groups.

I like the movement in #2 and flag works well with the blue and white sky.

I'd rather it was a tad wider and I'm not too keen on the flare.

Well done.

Cheers.

Hi Richard

Right on theme....of the 2 images I prefer #1..nice n close , sharp & good colors , little bit of flare from the sun & movement as well ...like it (y)

Now't wrong with #2 just not keen on the blurred bits...don't sit right with me...sorry :crying:

Hi,

yup can't beat abit of national pride, I would go for #1 aswell.

Was thinking of going the falg route.....but I would of gone for St George's cross!!!

No.1 for me, but I'd like to have seen it as a whole . colours look great

Hi Richard
Not seen your thread until now. - sorry overlooked.

Vice - like #1. Good lighting and detail in the top with excellent dof

Entrance - I like the fact that the piper is using the entrance - well done . i think that #1 is better balanced than the crop, even with the darker stone wall to the right.

Soft - really good shot. Right focus on the egg and excellently toasted bread which helps with the colour of the shot. Beautifully placed and exposed tea cup at the back - just the right amount of focus and lovely catchlights on the curved edges.

Pride - on theme. Prefer #1 for the colours and movement. Perhaps a little heavily cropped. #2 just looks smudged to me rather than movement - as if the colours had run in the wash.

Richard, no 1 ride for me as well i like the fact that its backlit, again i would have liked to see the end of the flag

hello again - pride - good choice (flag) but no. 1 is too tightly cropped for me but I love the flare - I like flare and try to get flare on purpose :p,

'wot Alan said' for no. 2 - it looks oof rather than having movement blur. I would have straightened it a bit too if it was me :)

sorry :(

Pride - 'These colours don't run' ! Bang on theme for me. I prefer the 2nd image and quite like the movement. Number one is a a little too tightley cropped for me but each to their own.

Nice work - Nick

Back