weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

I just had a catch up on your project Emma, you have some very nice images, that 'Azure' image (butterfly) is beautiful, loving the details and the colour!
Thanks Lee - I was pleased with that one - it might even make a print :)

Hi Emma ...I much prefer the crop, I agree it's a great subject,and that's a lovely light on the left hand side. I think it's one of those you could spend hours tweaking ...and still not know which way you like it the best :)
Thanks Susie - my heart wasn't really in the shot to be honest, so yes probably spent far too long fiddling to make something of it.

Emma, I must be honest I quite like the original B&W and the OOF trees at the bottom, gives it a sense of size and presence
Thanks Chris - that was my original thought, too.

Sorry very behind on comments

Lone - very poignant I like the symmetry of the second but I like the first one too.
Fauna - excellent capture great Dof and I love the delicate colours
Static - sorry the painting does nothing for me but the church lovely colours against that sky
Game - That looks like a fun day at the beach lovely shot.
Serene - wow another fantastic Butterfly shot I love it great detail and Dof I like the sunset too.
Black and White - lovely detail I like the original but agree the crop is better.
Thanks so much for such a big catch up Minx - much appreciated!

Nice point of view and the crop works well too Emma.
Thanks Chris :)

I like the unusual POV and prefer the square crop. I wonder if it would work cropped even closer to make more of the detail in the seeds.
Thanks Steve - you might be right...but I think it's a shot I've already spent more time fiddling with than it's worth! Tbh I don't think I really brought out that detail enough.

I decided to make a detour from work tonight to check out the parish church of St Mary the Virgin, Shipley - a 12th century church and one of the oldest in West Sussex. I was a bit surprised to be greeted by this handsome ram running down the path towards me, and only just managed to pull off the lens cap in time to make a couple of grab shots. The churchyard was full of sheep grazing, which in itself felt like a fairly ancient practice. In fact when I got home to find out more it turns out that Shipley means 'sheep pasture' - so very apt. Next to the church is a windmill which was used for filming Jonathan Creek - there was no light on it tonight, but definitely one to check out another time.

Unexpected by Emma Varley, on Flickr

small ancient 2.jpg

small ancient3.jpg

Last edited:
Love the first one, it made me smile.Good story to the photos and I think #2 caputres it for the theme, nicely done.

Love the way you rammed the first one in there Emma :D

The first ram shot is excellent I like how he has placed himself perfectly between the gravestones, couldn't have worked out better

Brilliant storyline behind the take Emma. I like the engagement, majesty and impact of #1 but the light and colour draws me to #2 as my preference. Excellent takes all though. :clap:

Brilliant storyline behind the take Emma. I like the engagement, majesty and impact of #1 but the light and colour draws me to #2 as my preference. Excellent takes all though. :clap:
Thank you Carl - I was lucky to catch him in that patch of light. It was a very snatched take :eek:

Number 1 for me, and what a great set of horns.
Cheers Clive - they were impressive and he wasn't shy about using them on the other ram there!

Urban, I agree with Stan, #1 with them reading the book is a lovely photo.

Both terrific shots Emma :clap:. #1 for me - great bit of timing and lovely colours and detail. I like the movement in the second but the chicken is slightly lost against that white blot on the wall behind.

Urban, I can hear them from here ..

Booooooook book book book .... Boooook book book :D
( and the passing frog say Reddit reddit reddit :coat: )

Thats a cracking interpretation Emma :)

Hi Emma

What a lucky find ... a ram among the grave stones, head on! And you caught him nicely in focus. (y)

Your chickens, the one on one foot in pic 1 especially, nicely caught. Works really well for the theme, the brick BG adding a sense of urbanity. (y)

Hi Emma,

B&W, I agree with the others, the square crop works better. I may have been tempted to crop in even tighter...

Yikes to the Ram in the graveyard!!! Generally speaking you worry about ghosts, ghouls and the forthcoming Zombie apocalypse in graveyards, but you seem to have come face to face with Beelzebub himself. I wouldn't fancy meeting him on a dark night. A bit of playing with contrast would make him really boom from the shot.

Urban - A couple of really well imagined images there. I love the way that the hens appear to be reading the book.
(y)

Ancient; What perfect timing with the first one. Love his look and the expression.

Urban, :LOL: :ROFLMAO: Love #1 looks as though they are reading the manual too. Great timing and spot on focus.

Urban, I agree with Stan, #1 with them reading the book is a lovely photo.

Both terrific shots Emma :clap:. #1 for me - great bit of timing and lovely colours and detail. I like the movement in the second but the chicken is slightly lost against that white blot on the wall behind.

Urban, I can hear them from here ..

Booooooook book book book .... Boooook book book :D
( and the passing frog say Reddit reddit reddit :coat: )

Thats a cracking interpretation Emma :)

Hi Emma

What a lucky find ... a ram among the grave stones, head on! And you caught him nicely in focus. (y)

Your chickens, the one on one foot in pic 1 especially, nicely caught. Works really well for the theme, the brick BG adding a sense of urbanity. (y)

Emma your first shot of the ram is brilliant, I love it, he is posed absolutely perfectly.
Urban too ...brilliant composition ...another smashing addition to your thread.

Hi Emma,

B&W, I agree with the others, the square crop works better. I may have been tempted to crop in even tighter...

Yikes to the Ram in the graveyard!!! Generally speaking you worry about ghosts, ghouls and the forthcoming Zombie apocalypse in graveyards, but you seem to have come face to face with Beelzebub himself. I wouldn't fancy meeting him on a dark night. A bit of playing with contrast would make him really boom from the shot.

Urban - A couple of really well imagined images there. I love the way that the hens appear to be reading the book.
(y)

Thanks so much for your detailed feedback everyone - it is very much appreciated! @Cobra and @LC2 you made me laugh out loud :)

Nicely caught moment, good emotional connection, well lit, good background, very good indeed.

a beautiful image too personal to offer criticism on ... woops done it again.

... always felt a little uneasy about selfies and family stuff in this place. But hey, I'm one who will post shots of complete strangers ... something I know not everyone's completely at ease with.

Please don't doubt yourself, I saw the pic earlier, it was good it meant something

I like it too, its not too personal. Its a leaving hug, goodbye hug. Pop it back on and see what Cobra thinks, his judgement it usually spot on. ;)

I'm disappointed to have missed your image, Em...I suspect it's an image they'll both look upon fondly in the future.

I saw the image too and like David @d00d I thought it's a very personal feeling between the siblings and didn't offer any comments at the time for the same reasons. I'm sure you and your daughter will treasure the image forever. I know how you and your daughter feel because we had our three years old granddaughter last week and when we took her home, about 130 miles away, back to mum and dad all we got from her were hugs and kisses and asking us to stay.

Would love to see the image reposted.

On a lighter note

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Please don't doubt yourself, I saw the pic earlier, it was good it meant something

I like it too, its not too personal. Its a leaving hug, goodbye hug. Pop it back on and see what Cobra thinks, his judgement it usually spot on. ;)

I'm disappointed to have missed your image, Em...I suspect it's an image they'll both look upon fondly in the future.

Thank you all. It was an image that I really felt summed up the emotions of the day, which is why I decided to post it. I had a chat with both children today about whether they still felt it was appropriate for the forum. Amber was fine, William said he had been a bit surprised that family photos didn't have to be smiley and happy, but feels that it just shows that he loves his sister and he's happy for other people to see it. Though he prefers it when you comment on his karate kicks ;). As for criticism - the emotions of the shot and the technical drawbacks are two very separate issues for me... so crit away! I will repost this evening after work.

But maybe I'm not. I should have said nothing as it was just my personal feeling ... no rights & wrongs.

I'm really pleased you did David as it made me think hard about what I post here and why. Although it was a personal moment I thought it said something important about brotherly and sisterly love and didn't portray the children negatively. As they are still happy for it to be posted I am happy to put it back up. I completely understand if people don't want to comment on it because of the personal connection. I hope your week is less charged than your weekend - hearing about Amber's adventures with her new flatmates has helped here!

Last edited:
As they are still happy for it to be posted I am happy to put it back up.
I missed it, so as Stan said

But only if you feel comfortable with it :)

Back