weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

Em, that is a beauty of a shot. Just lovely.
Just what I think if when I think fauna.

One from a very enjoyable first day in Bulgaria. This is from the national gallery in Sofia - I was struck by the strangeness of taking a photo of a painting of a sunrise from over a hundred years ago...it must have been wonderful to be there in real time! Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the artist's details. The second is of the Russian church - such a pretty building and a haven of cool and tranquility in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the city.

picturesmall.jpg

russian orthodox churchsmall.JPG

Love that butterfly picture Emma. Perfect framing and such true to life colours.

The picture of the picture doesn't scream static to me although you could argue it is a static sunrise from a 100 years ago. My favourite museum is the Reina Sofia in Madrid where they have some Monets and Picassos. The details and brush strokes are fantastic.

Thanks Jill. I suppose my thinking was that both the photograph and the painting were static representations of an original scene with water, sun and cloud movement. It was a pretty rushed submission though as I wasn't sure if we'd have Wi-Fi for the test of the week. The Sofia gallery definitely wasn't up to the standard of the masters in the Reina Sofia - I remember being dragged kicking and screaming out of there by a bored boyfriend who'd had enough!

2 lovel images there Emma love the colours in the first one great framing and composition

Lone - Great bit of history captured there Emma. Well lit, vibrant blue skies and spot on theme. :)
Fauna - Nicely composed and good use of shallow DoF.
Static - I'm with Jill, they don't sell static to me. I do like the painting though. I wonder how a different (much tighter) crop would look.

Thats a lovely church and I like the way the road leads you in, the painting works OK for me all photography and paintings are static images aren't they

Cracking image of the Church Emma, really nice light too.

I like the upward POV and compo of the church shot.

Love that painting - soft brush and subtle colours; not sure about the frame though. Nicely taken. Absolutely stunning church - great architecture and colours. Like the composition with the leading line as already observed.

Thank you all so much for your comments - they are very much appreciated - hopefully I will get back on track with mine when we return to the UK. A very quick grab shot for this week - we have visited some amazing towns and cities so far on our road trip around Bulgaria. Typically we hit the beach just as the weather turned a little cloudy...but there's nothing like the belly laughs of some family fun and games on the beach (these ones in Byala - an unexpectedly lovely find with exciting waves today on the Black Sea coast :) ) swimming.JPG

Looks lovely there, and the waves are huge. Not sure about the composition, I like the beach umbrella on the right, but I probably would have liked to see more sky.

Looks like a lovely way to while away the day.
As for composition, I'd actually be tempted to lose the little bit of sky altogether.

Looks lovely there, and the waves are huge. Not sure about the composition, I like the beach umbrella on the right, but I probably would have liked to see more sky.
I think the original shot included the top of the umbrella, but the figures seemed a little small in the frame - I agree that it's not quite right though...maybe down to the couple of glasses of Bulgarian red I was drinking at the time :p

The waves look ideal for family fun Emma. Sounds as if you are enjoying Bulgaria.

I agree looks a lot of fun, i'd lose the slight wonky horizon too

Horizon's not perfect but I'm glad you included it ... nice composition. (y)

Ooh, that looks nice and refreshing. If you lose the sky it makes a massive difference (for the better) to the picture.

Back