weekly George's TP52 2015 Challenge - Week 1 Bliss complete

Name
George
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone welcome to my attempt at the TP52 Challenge thread! :)

I'm new to the community and a complete novice at photography, but I really enjoy snapping so I'm hoping I can learn lots of new skills and techniques along the way!

No rules to follow in general, just going to try and have fun and not stress myself out too much when things aren't going to plan. Easier said than done no doubt!:eek:
Look forward to seeing projects develop, good luck everyone! :banana:

Welcome George :) Instead of waiting for the first theme, you could always have a go at the 'practice theme', which is out now. That way you can practice the process of adding your photo to the photos thread and then linking back to your own (this) thread. The practice theme is 'Patterns' and the thread that will be updated with the new theme each week is here.

Good luck with your 52!

No rules to follow in general, just going to try and have fun and not stress myself out too much when things aren't going to plan. Easier said than done no doubt!:eek:

This is pretty much my philosophy! Welcome to TP and welcome to your first 52!

I might be struggling for time this week to do the practice one, as I'm planning on attempting most of mine over the weekends (No work! ;) ). I'll see what time I have after work this week to put something together though.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :wave:

Bliss - good take for the theme, crit wise I find the shadow at the bottom of the cup a little over powering. I also would be tempted to move the chocolate bar a little bit closer to the cup, just enough so it was i front of the cup a bit more. Overall a good start to your challenge, time to relax till Friday.

George!

Great idea for a Bliss shot and a strong coffee and a choice are my idea of bliss also!

Can I ask did you use a tripod? Your image for me seems to suffer from camera shake as its soft all over. Exposure is perfect it just needs that stabilisation...

If not reshoot using one and that sharpness will pop out as everything else is correct…. the human body unfortunately just is not as solid as some tubes of metal and a bracket!

Mark

I like the idea on this one. The shadow is a bit overpowering but the cup and chocolate bar look good. It looks like a hint of camera shake has taken the edge off the sharpness. Was it a long exposure?

This image fits the theme perfectly but as already mentioned the image is suffering from camera shake, nice start though.

Hi, I'm not sure what 2 is when looking at the EXIF data, but it is soft. It does seem on a tilt, but I like the vignette.

Cheers.

Hi everyone

I totally agree with the comments mentioned above. I was probably a little heavy handed when playing around with the shadows and I must admit the shadow from the cup looks unnatural. The shutter speed was set at 2 seconds and I was using a desk tripod on top of a box (novice tools lol). I unfortunately don't have a remote either so I think the softness is my heavy hand on the shutter release.

Thanks for all the feedback guys much appreciated :)

Nice shot George and coffee is bliss for me too. (Agree with Darren that is looks like slightly leaning to the left)

Hey George. I think that the idea is spot on. I also feel some warmth for the colour and it helps. I do however agree with all the earlier comments about shadows and apparent camera shake. But you have noted this and I am sure that you will take all the learnings with you to week 2. Good start

Hi everyone

I totally agree with the comments mentioned above. I was probably a little heavy handed when playing around with the shadows and I must admit the shadow from the cup looks unnatural. The shutter speed was set at 2 seconds and I was using a desk tripod on top of a box (novice tools lol). I unfortunately don't have a remote either so I think the softness is my heavy hand on the shutter release.

Thanks for all the feedback guys much appreciated :)
Just a little tip… does your camera have a self timer??? … well if it does… use that and it does away with the shake on the camera from your finger as the image is taken later.

Just a little tip… does your camera have a self timer??? … well if it does… use that and it does away with the shake on the camera from your finger as the image is taken later.

Don't know why I didn't think of that myself :) I've ordered myself a remote though, something tells me it's going to come in handy (y)

HI George & welcome to the madhouse :wave:

I think all has been covered already but I just wanted to say that I quite like the shadow under the cup ....not really sure why but , for me at least , it works :)

Welcome George - was going to add about the self timer option but noticed already done - I like the picture and not in a position to offer advice but I enjoyed reading through others advice for you.

Nice idea and a good start. Trying to get into a bit of still life/table top stuff myself so love to see how others go about it. I think I might have closed it up a bit and moved the choccy bar in a bit closer to unite the elements more. But I like the dramatic lighting and shadows.

Nice idea for the theme George. My only crit would be that while I like the harsh shadow under the cup and I don't mind the vignette, the two are at odds for me. The vignette is strong enough to look like a shadow but it's very soft when compared with the cup shadow. I would use a much lighter vignette or soften the light to soften the cup shadow. Hope that makes sense :thinking:

Great idea crit has been covered so i will just wish you good luck for your 52 this year

Hiya George... just to echo what others have said, I'll agree with the shake issues but I'll also agree with Lynne about my fondness for the hard shadow under the coffee cup - it really works for me. Good to get started and I'm looking forward to future shots!

Back