weekly gman's 52 for 2020 - Week 46 Narrow

Week 45 Snapper's Choice & Soft Focus

I was struggling with ideas for the soft focus technique as the obvious choice was to photograph a model in such a style, but that's not to be at the moment thanks to the rona.

I didn't want to just photograph any old thing and then throw it out of focus or such as that's not soft focus, it's out of focus! lol So I was considering a night city scene with all the various lights being softened up to give that dreamy feel and the rain could actually help with this due to all the reflections you get in in the wet. But then that would probably be more bokeh than soft focus.

Later, whilst playing this old favourite with my daughter, I thought the setup looked quite interesting and maybe some sort of tilt and shift would look cool. But then that's not really soft focus either and again it would be more bokeh, albeit a little more complex.

Whilst playing about with the camera I ended up trying for that old fashioned advert type shot where things were never quite as sharp as they are today. With a few tweaks in post I hope I've managed to create the desired effect.

Week 45.jpg

Hi Graham,

Wet - That's quite an intense blue, blue glass? Or a blue gel on the light?
Topical - Chuckle, Corona is actually pretty nice for a lager. The shot has the feel of quite a lot of clarity being applied, I think. Does it?
Food - I guess technically not the greatest, but you have caught the action and that's really the important thing.
Sharp - But is it? It's really hard to tell with such a shallow DoF.
Digital Age - Not really feeling this one, sorry.
Snappers Choice + Tech - I've not seen mousetrap in years. I think you've nailed the soft focus.

Hi Graham,

Wet - That's quite an intense blue, blue glass? Or a blue gel on the light?
The actual shot was very basic; high shutter speed and an LED light shining onto the water coming out of the shower head. The rest was PP.

Topical - Chuckle, Corona is actually pretty nice for a lager. The shot has the feel of quite a lot of clarity being applied, I think. Does it?
I can certainly see how it looks like it and I had to go back and check, but I was surprised to see that I had only moderately used clarity (although perhaps some with local adjustments as well). Shadows and Blacks were the overwhelming adjustment.

Food - I guess technically not the greatest, but you have caught the action and that's really the important thing.
Aye it was a long shot. Quite literally considering it was a phone! lol

Sharp - But is it? It's really hard to tell with such a shallow DoF.
It's pretty sharp, that's one of five graded diamond whetstones I used on the knife. It could be sharper though.

Digital Age - Not really feeling this one, sorry.
No worries at all, like Whisky I find that photography can be such a personal thing.

Snappers Choice + Tech - I've not seen mousetrap in years. I think you've nailed the soft focus.
Thanks, I enjoy the game. I wish I had turned off the TV though as it doesn't really suit the supposed aged theme.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to so many, I've popped my responses in if it is of any interest. :)

Reactions: LC2
I like the soft focus look. The highlights on the chair in the background are a bit distracting.

Not sure it needs the distractions at the top, but I guess being portrait it accentuates the narrowness (y)

I agree, but alas it was originally a photo I took for a mate to sell so I had to restrain any artistic licence lol

Works for me for narrow that's for certain!

Nice way to travel - especially at the moment...

Thanks, although not really my cup of tea. I would prefer a full on RV with top deck garden and storage underneath for an Atom! :D

That's a very nice looking van, and on theme, although I'm not sure any van would be narrow enough for me to feel happy driving it :ROFLMAO:

Aye it's in good nick for its age but it's horrendous to drive, very top heavy and the overhang can catch traffic lights if you aren't careful! lol Fortunately, I've only driven it a few times as a favour.

That's a cracking looking camper Graham, it's certainly looks narrow (y)

I've often considered one for "trips" but then I like space and decided the the car and the likes of a Premier inn, to sleep in,
would be better, and probably cheaper in the long run too.

I've often considered one for "trips" but then I like space and decided the the car and the likes of a Premier inn, to sleep in,
would be better, and probably cheaper in the long run too.

More than likely once you factor in maintenance, insurance etc then campsite fees, fuel (damn thing is thirsty apparently) etc etc. For me it would more of a one/two times novelty, but then I'd rather have a decent B&B or local hotel.

Back