Gremlin16 - 2019 52’s WEEK 15 ABOVE

Clean - nice and sharp on the glasses I too like the drip on the tap.
Open - Great image I agree the blueness give a cold feel to it

That`s a very nice shot and well taken too Gremlin, goes great in mono and love the lighting on her face and front while having it darker on her back.

great take and really draws you in on the face very nice.

Excellent candid image @gremlin16 !
Superb use of natural light, exposure is spot on.
Well processed for mono, with great contrast and mood!
Terrific image and tells a great story!(y)

Is she on the phone ? Distant Conversation perhaps. Great take out on the theme

Thanks everyone, I found myself in this amazing room which had recently been renovated and there were two very large sash windows. As soon as I saw the windows, I knew what the shot was going to be. I think i just got lucky with the lighting really. Yes @chrispp this lady was on the phone. I think she was looking at the snow which had recently starting to fall and was worrying about some travel arrangements.

That has a kind of French arthouse film feel to it.
:clap:
I really love the way you've caught the moment. I think this might be the shot of the theme for me.

Wow, that is high praise indeed, thank you sincerely. I agree it does have a French feel to it :)

Im definitely going to go back to this room, and take a model with me.

It's also getting harder to get back to using colour, I think I am just a little obsessed with mono at the moment, maybe its just a phase?

Perfect capture of the moment there, it really suits the theme with her thoughtful gaze out of the window. I love mono too, especially on portrait shots, I think it captures much more of the person than colour ....if that makes sense!

Fab photo of the gulls too too, love those icy blue tones.

There's beautiful light in the image, great capture of her distant stare. Works well in Black and White. I like how you have not brought the detail out in the shadows as this image is all about the light.

Best image i've seen this week IMO - perfectly captures and great in mono

ps.... if you fancy changing your profile so you have a name that would be great as I don't want to keep calling you gremlin ;)

Open - The blue tones work well in the image and I like the fog/mist in the background.
Distant - captures the theme really well. Love the way the picture moves between shadow/light/shadow and you have captured the moment perfectly.

Not convinced by this one as I was in a dilemma for which image to choose.

Cold-1.jpg

After waiting for my wife to come home so I could go and get some cold pictures, it was almost dark. Following a treacherous trip up the back of Winter Hill only to come back empty handed, I went to the local pond. I like this one (a long exposure) because you can see how the ice is forming and the ducks don't seem too impressed.

Cold-2.jpg

This second one, is just a snapshot really, and apart from a crop it's SOOC. This was the car park for the pond, and it was very cold and icy. I don't like the clutter of the buildings and trees though.

Cold-3.jpg

So I have settled on this one, and this is the submission for the challenge. Shot at f.18 on the D610 whilst being harangued by my puppy. Incidentally, its the scene of the crime where my lad broke his ankle last week!

Have I made the right choice, would you have chosen a different one of the three? Let me know your thoughts. thanks.

Distant is a different take on the theme and the light on her face and B&W processing are very nice. Her expression is clearly distracted and works well for this theme.
We have no snow here apart from on the very top of the mountain so I am quite envious that you have choices! I agree with your choice of #3 with the low viewpoint making the most of the shapes in the snow.

I think you made the right choice, I like that shot, great DOF and angle of view :)

Agree with quite a few of the others the third is my favourite, with a tight crop at the top you could be fooled into thinking it was a cloud scape with a few mountain tops poking through

The image you eventually chose is the pick of the bunch for me, love the texture and light you've captured.

Bittern-1.jpg

A tenuous link this week. Anyhow, I was walking the beast round the local pond and as it was a lovely morning I had the Z6 with me, fitted with the 24-70 f4. As we walked, we saw a chap with his binos out stood very still. He told me there was a Bittern in the reeds, so we stood, WAITING for it to emerge from the reeds. It is in this image, and there is a gold star for anyone who can see it. I should have had the 150-600 on to stand any kind of chance really, but you have to work with what's in your hands at the time! I have tried to help you out a little with the framing. :)

Hi

Open, I love the detail and sharpness in the seagulls, then moving into the mist, lovely atmosphere to the Image.

Distance, Another very good Image, nice and clean feel to the image. Kits the theme to the T.

Cold, I like the 1st Image apart from the houses in the background not appearing to be level, cropping them out does not work as well as expected.
2nd Image as you say is just a carpark, the blue colour of the sky helps.
3rd Image works well for the Theme but the crop where the trees exit the frame could be better.

Waiting, a good story and a nice image, Love the colours. I'm WAITING for X marking the spot.

It's all about compromise's

Pete

Incredible! Love those reflections!
The colours are gorgeous, and the composition is jolly good too.
I can't see the bittern....oh, hang on....is it on the bottom third, all the way over to the right?
As soon as your back is turned, they do a song and dance number wearing top hat and tails!!
I'm convinced that's what they're up to down at my local reserve....they're mocking me, the little blighters!!:LOL:

No gold star for me as i didn't spot where it was. really like the colour rendition of the image.

Agreed, love the story behind it and for me makes it fit the theme peftectly!

Nice waiting image. Lots of colour and texture throughout. I thought it was where you pointed out. I could see a slightly different pattern to the reeds, but couldn't make out the bird

rough-1.jpg

Late again, blooming kids being on half term, Here's roughly a dozen eggs, in a rough egg box, and a rough exposure. Last week in addition to half term, I felt rough as i was full of man flu. It's also roughly in focus, as I was using my Z6 for the first time in the challenge, and I have a rough idea on how it works. :)

Last edited:
Plenty of rough elements in your description I like the play on words “roughly a dozen” works for me

Back