Hertsmans 2018 52....Rural/Bright/Elegant/Derelict added

good take on the theme, personally I would prefer a clean colour shot but I can see what you were going for with the Grainy black and white and it works

Don`t be pulling my Lego :D

Stark, well I do like this shot Mark as it looks good and gritty plus has an old look to it, good job well done.

And a great book it is too - nice work

Good shot. I like the grain on this, and aren't you glad all your books are not the Kindle versions.

Great shot, and not even a shoehorn, is it? I like the grain and muted grey tones.

A man of culture and plywood. Processing works a treat.

Spotted it straight off so works well for me good thinking for the theme and the processing works for me too

Typical weather mate... where on my coast the damn sun came out and blue sky when all I wanted was dull and miserable :LOL:

Theme/image wise it took me a while to find the book title, but once I did a perfect tick for the theme :)

I like that one Mark nice take on the theme. I really like the processing

Love the people theme, cracking colours in it and a bit of ingenuity to boot. Well done with the stark image as well, had me looking for the relationship between your image and the theme, eventually spotted it :)

People - I can see plenty of effort went into setting up for this image, it's a good fun take on the theme as the others have said well done for controlling the light and reflections.

Stark - I had to do a double take on this image as I couldn't initially see the connection to the theme, the gritty feel to the image works well for this image.

Thanks all, glad it wasnt immediate tbh....

Ben Elton's Star Ark was one something I had considered for this theme, but I don't think my bookshelf is anywhere as tidy as yours.
I'm not sure on the B&W processing, I think I would prefer to see the colours of the books.
However, that is just personal preference and I think you've pulled off a good image for the theme.
I couldnt get the colour balance right at all as the room is lit very orangey, so ended with what you see....

Good original thinking for the theme Mark, nice composition too, it looks more sepia than B&W to me which works well.

Hi Mark, Great minds think alike with the lego people :D I like this, tricky to do with all the reflections. It works for me :D. Stark - first saw the Ben Elton name and as I was thinking "I'm sure he wrote something about Stark" it jumped out at me. I like the pp, I think the effect works well. Did you consider cropping it to just the shelf with the relevant books?

good take on the theme, personally I would prefer a clean colour shot but I can see what you were going for with the Grainy black and white and it works

Thanks guys......

Good sky with the people over the sea but I think I prefer the colourful simplicity of the kite TBH

2 Great images for Over

I like the people over the sea that looks like fun the orange/red coat really helps the one stand out.

But like Chris and Dominic my pick is the kite love the colours and simplicity of it

#1 for me ... shows vastness, a good sky, lashings of waves plus a bit of colour & detail in the people.

Mark, there seems to be something wrong with your sensor. There are blue blotches across the sky. Surely it should all be grey ;)
Nice action shot, freezing the motion of both the waves and the people on the zipwire.
I may have had a play in pp, brightening the white, darkening the blacks and maybe adding to the blues, but that is purely personal preference.

Over - that first one looks like fun good sharp image, but I too like the kite more

Number 2 for me Mark. The simple colours and composition work well against the grey (what else !) sky. Number one looks like an exciting experience but a s photo I prefer the second.

I think I'd have to agree that I prefer the second over shot but that might just be because the first gives me the shivers (I don't do heights :eek: )

Good sky with the people over the sea but I think I prefer the colourful simplicity of the kite TBH
Thanks Chris

I'm with him above, I prefer the second shot.
Cheers Dom

2 Great images for Over

I like the people over the sea that looks like fun the orange/red coat really helps the one stand out.

But like Chris and Dominic my pick is the kite love the colours and simplicity of it

Thank you Mark

#1 for me ... shows vastness, a good sky, lashings of waves plus a bit of colour & detail in the people.

Glad to see you saw the same scene I did D....

I'm with Chris on this one.

1st one for me looks like a crazy thing to do
Thanks guys

Mark, there seems to be something wrong with your sensor. There are blue blotches across the sky. Surely it should all be grey ;)
Nice action shot, freezing the motion of both the waves and the people on the zipwire.
I may have had a play in pp, brightening the white, darkening the blacks and maybe adding to the blues, but that is purely personal preference.

Over - that first one looks like fun good sharp image, but I too like the kite more

I did when I took it....

#1 for me, great sense of scale, something my children would want to do! I do like the kite image too for its colour,

Number 2 for me Mark. The simple colours and composition work well against the grey (what else !) sky. Number one looks like an exciting experience but a s photo I prefer the second.

I think I'd have to agree that I prefer the second over shot but that might just be because the first gives me the shivers (I don't do heights :eek: )

Thanks all....

Interesting of opinion, which I like....
Firstly - the overhead shot was virtually straight into a pretty low sun - tbh, if I didnt shoot RAW, I dont think that would ahve come to anything, it has been prettey heavily worked on in LR to make what you see, and I know its not perfect...
Secondly - the kite shot- when we first got the beach, the weather was pretty threatening tbh, and I saw this young girl and her parents flying this kite - so I grabbed a shot. Now, Ive tried quite hard with pp to make this what I wanted, but even tho it was only ISO320 it still looks pretty noisy and not as crisp as I would want usually.....

Thanks all for dropping by...

#1 for me, the sky, the sea, the dangling people... top (y)

Week 4 - hard choice, #1 has the interest (and terror) while the composition and contrast between sky and kite makes me prefer #2.

I’m using a rota to make sure I spread my comments round. Will be doing about 1 in 7 each week, so this week you got lucky :)

Two cracking shots - kits is my first choice, but both strong!

Good original idea for Stark, Mark. It took me a moment to remember that Ben Elton wrote 'Stark', and as it came to mind my eyes found it. The processing is nice and gritty and does seem to add to the 'stark' feel too.
I like both images for Over, especially the sense of height and danger in the zip line image, but the colours and simplicity of the kites just edge it for me.

Think I prefer the kite too. It's the constrast with the colours against the grey sky - I might even have made them more punchy but it's perfect for the theme

Over - they both work for the theme, but I also much prefer the bright colours and the simplicity of the kite.

Thanks Mandy
#1 for me, the sky, the sea, the dangling people... top (y)
(y)

Zip over the sea is a great shot well timed, just wish I`d thought of the Brighton zip.
Thanks Dave

Week 4 - hard choice, #1 has the interest (and terror) while the composition and contrast between sky and kite makes me prefer #2.

I’m using a rota to make sure I spread my comments round. Will be doing about 1 in 7 each week, so this week you got lucky :)
(y)

Two cracking shots - kits is my first choice, but both strong!
Cheers Phil

Good original idea for Stark, Mark. It took me a moment to remember that Ben Elton wrote 'Stark', and as it came to mind my eyes found it. The processing is nice and gritty and does seem to add to the 'stark' feel too.
I like both images for Over, especially the sense of height and danger in the zip line image, but the colours and simplicity of the kites just edge it for me.
(y)

Think I prefer the kite too. It's the constrast with the colours against the grey sky - I might even have made them more punchy but it's perfect for the theme
Pretty haevily PPd as it stands tbh...

Week 3 - Stark - Nice idea on the the theme and like the processing but would of cropped out the stop self as its not level ;).
:whistle:

Hi Mark ... welcome back, pleased to see you're all caught up.:)

Aged I like, good & sharp on the writing, liking the rustic wood BG (y) ... Hmmm a touch of vignette is a thing I might have been tempted to try ... just a thought.

Sharp ... not so keen on that one ... unexciting BG, lots of dirt/dust on the equipment.

That shotgun, seen it before and like it, depicting the underside (y) BG works a treat .... seemingly county shooting gear.

Three shots that all show their subjects well, particularly like the use of DOF in Sharp to make the tuning gizmo stand out.

Like your aged shot but would of moved the bottle further to the left can cropped out the bit on the right so you didn't have any gaps in the wood :).
guard - like that, night light and back drop. (y)
Not enough length in the timber to allow that, and the gaps are "rustic" innit....and ta

Guard - good shot and some lovely lighting and detail.
Thanks Lee

Hi Mark ... welcome back, pleased to see you're all caught up.:)

Aged I like, good & sharp on the writing, liking the rustic wood BG (y) ... Hmmm a touch of vignette is a thing I might have been tempted to try ... just a thought.

Sharp ... not so keen on that one ... unexciting BG, lots of dirt/dust on the equipment.

That shotgun, seen it before and like it, depicting the underside (y) BG works a treat .... seemingly county shooting gear.

Thanks for the comments Dood, vignette is a good idea, wished Id thought of that!
Sharp is a tricky one, as the dust doesnt really notice to the eye, and I wanted to keep the background clean to show off the tuner..
Love the details in my lowly Beretta, just a shame I cant afford a "really" nice one....

Good catch up, lovely details in the shot gun photo.
Thanks Chris

Three shots that all show their subjects well, particularly like the use of DOF in Sharp to make the tuning gizmo stand out.
Thank you Jon, I actually thought the Sharp shot was the best idea of the bunch, just maybe not as well excecuted as Id hoped for...

I love the gun shot. The reason being that although the gun is not old I can imagine it is because the button and the colour of the jacket behind reminds me of an old Confederate uniform from US.

Blimey... I am miles behind on your posts !!

Aged - Nice idea, good angle and I am liking the rustic background, I bet that prop didn't last long after the shoot :D

Sharp - Ahhhh another techno-wiz idea, good thinking out of the box again and nice 'sharp' focus on the LCD display :)

Guard - Ooooo more weapons, I like the metalwork on these and glad to see it has not had tooooo much use, I guess you can only rob so many banks a year :whistle:

Mark

Love the detail on the metal work and trigger guard.
Nice background in the aged image.

Sharp is not doing it for me, I feel all the strings should be sharp, not just the tuning thingy which does not look sharp to me as it is dirty.

Pete

Great bit of catching up - all on theme for me

The Aged one - that beer sounds bloody lovely. Is it local to you Mark?

Sharp - i'm gonna guess that's a 'sharp' chord although I know nothing about music. Spot on though

Guard - love this. Great engraving detail

Aged - Nice take on the theme I like the composition the background works really well with the subject

Sharp - I like that the DoF is just about right for me focusing your eye on the digital tuner.

Guarded - Very nice lovely details in the the engraving

Age(ing) - fits the theme, but I feel there is a better composition to be had.

Sharp - fits the theme, and works for me, and good use of DOF.

Guard(ed) - as Mark said a nice lovely image with nice engraving, well done on the catch up.

Guard
I'm liking the shotgun, nice detail and it works well being laid on a shooting jacket/coat (well it looks like a jack).

Hi Mark,

Aged - Liking Aged for the textures you've captured in the wood vs the glass. Not certain the positioning of the bottle in the frame is right, it feels a bit tight at the top perhaps?
Sharp - Not knowing what the gauge is supposed to be showing, I'm assuming it's indicating the note being played is slightly off, hence sharp. Interesting image.
Guard - I like the way the image fades from bright to almost black in the shadows, it emphasises the guard. :)

Great catch up Mark! The one that stands out for me is guard. Great composition, great mix of textures and colours and good lighting (y)

Back