weekly Ian's 52 of 2016 (Week 27; Activity added)

Hi Ian
Excellent start to the challenge :)
I really like your miniature shots.
The "abandoned" picture is almost heartbreaking :eek:

Hi Ian
Excellent start to the challenge :)
I really like your miniature shots.
The "abandoned" picture is almost heartbreaking :eek:
Thanks, Viv

Don't worry about poor Bing by the way, he's still picked up now and again and never left on his own other than for this shot :)

Hi Ian

Sorry, don;t know how ive missed this thread so far - Im on a mammoth catch up session, so here goes !

1 - Metal - I like the re-shoot of the buoy the tighter crop gives it a lot more imposing presence

2 - Captive - that look on his face ! "you just wait until I get out of here! :D excellent

3 - Miniature - I like these a lot but #3 in particular - love the DOF especially with the OOfocus to the front, very nice

4 - Happy - lovely story and interpretation :) - we also have some of those hearts strung around the house

5 - Abandoned ! - lovely DOF and POV, liking this shot a lot, well done

Great start so far- heres to the rest !:)
Thanks for taking the time to comment, Jon. I understand how hard it is to keep up with all posts from everyone doing the 52 and have failed to do so myself as well over the last few weeks (other than the latest shot from a percentage of participants).

Here's hoping to continue as best we can for the rest of the 52 :)

Another week of catching up for me with just too much on and to be honest, I'm a bit annoyed that I've left it so late whilst still not producing something I'm happy with or coming up with something original. For now, I give you my catch up for last week. Here is my submission for Camouflaged!

I'll be making every effort to get a shot in on time from now on whether I'm happy with it or not and perhaps revisit when I can. Not totally happy that I've been pretty lazy in taking shots in the house but hey ho, time and weather have been against me in that respect (not that it's an excuse, they obviously effect everyone). Will be having a look through as many threads as I can over the weekend and offering commentary also. Apologies if I've missed anyone in the past but will do as many as I can.

This is my Week 6 - Camouflaged

"Blending In" - No explanation needed here I'd hope!

Project 52: Week 6 (Camouflaged)
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Thanks

Ian

Well and truly camouflaged Ian. Nice colourful shot - bet it's a rare sight seeing all those toys neatly together !!!

Nice grab, Ian. I understand what you're saying about struggling to get shots in on time. Don't stress about it though - it's your challenge, nobody else's.

Lighting on that shot is pretty soft and even (good things) and the only other observation would be whether taking it at more of an angle would result in a stronger image? Only downside is you might need more toys because of the perspective! Good job though and looking forward to dangerous - no knife-juggling children from you, please!

Nice grab, Ian. I understand what you're saying about struggling to get shots in on time. Don't stress about it though - it's your challenge, nobody else's.

Lighting on that shot is pretty soft and even (good things) and the only other observation would be whether taking it at more of an angle would result in a stronger image? Only downside is you might need more toys because of the perspective! Good job though and looking forward to dangerous - no knife-juggling children from you, please!

Thanks for that. I totally agree re: the angle btw and did try it that way. Unfortunately, the ball pit is too small and I was getting the edges of the pit or even the walls in shot which wasn't a good thing at all. Plus, that's almost all of his toys in there and the last thing I'm doing is buying more! [emoji23]

I need to step away from taking shots of Ethan or his possessions tbh but it was all I could manage for this theme. Aside from that, I doubt the wife would be too pleased to see me using him in this week's given its nature haha.

nice colorful shot and the army man is definitely on theme :)
Thanks, Sam. Struggled with this topic and was happy to get this one out the way even if it isn't outstanding.
Hi Ian ....a super bight eye catching shot and spot on for the theme ....works well for me :)
Thanks, Susie. I toyed with desaturate it and blending the soldier in but it just didn't seem right!
Well and truly camouflaged Ian. Nice colourful shot - bet it's a rare sight seeing all those toys neatly together !!!
You have no idea how rare, Carl. I'm a bit OCD mind you so as soon as he's off to bed I'm tidying up after him!

Yeah that was what I assumed when I caveated my observation - I've found the same thing when trying to get a lower POV with certain compositions. For my miniature shot (the bottle of gin on a black background with a pool of light around it) I ended up using about 4m length of backdrop so that I could get enough empty space around the bottle at such a low POV. I'd hate to imagine the mess that 16 sqm of densely packed toys would make in anyone's house!!

Good soldier! He's nicely camouflaged even though he's not wearing camos. :p Took me a while to find him.

I'd hate to imagine the mess that 16 sqm of densely packed toys would make in anyone's house!!

Carelessly open all of our cupboards at once and you'll probably find out!

Ian - I have somehow not commented on your thread yet which is astonishing because I particularly remember your Abandoned shot as being one of my favourites. It was maybe the only 'toy' shot where a kid's act of abandoning his toy was the subject, rather than a personalised and sad-looking toy post-abandonment. There's nothing wrong with that (I did it for Captive) but you had a different take on the theme. In addition I love the perspective and DOF.

Camouflaged is bright and cheery (and it's nice to see Bing again). I can't help wondering how well that soldier might have been hidden were he placed in Scout's green ear...

Liking camouflaged Ian,
Took ma ages to spot the soldier!
I was a little fixated on my mate Olaf though ;)

So another week working on a difficult theme for me and with limited time to do it.

I've traveled up to Dundee from Glasgow today for a training course and despite having my camera with me, chose to take this on my way back with my phone of all things.

To me, it's a beautiful sunset, but given the location of many drivers around me, a potentially dangerous distraction. Hope you like it :)

This is my Week 7 - Dangerous!

Project 52: Week 7 (Dangerous) by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Thanks

Ian

I'm with you on beautiful sunsets (sunrises, clouds, scenery...I could go on!) being a distraction whilst driving. If you were driving when you took this then it's even more fitting for the theme...:eek:

Last edited:
I'm with you on beautiful sunsets (suntrises, clouds, scenery...I could go on!) being a distraction whilst driving. If you were driving when you took this then it's even more fitting for the theme...:eek:
Thanks haha. And no, I was a passenger on this occasion :)

Liking camouflaged Ian,
Took ma ages to spot the soldier!
I was a little fixated on my mate Olaf though ;)
My mother in law thinks Olaf has a rather phallic shaped nose. I'm saying nothing else haha
Great camouflaged took me a while to spot.

Gaz
Thanks, Gaz. Not quite camouflaged but hard to spot will do!

Carelessly open all of our cupboards at once and you'll probably find out!

Ian - I have somehow not commented on your thread yet which is astonishing because I particularly remember your Abandoned shot as being one of my favourites. It was maybe the only 'toy' shot where a kid's act of abandoning his toy was the subject, rather than a personalised and sad-looking toy post-abandonment. There's nothing wrong with that (I did it for Captive) but you had a different take on the theme. In addition I love the perspective and DOF.

Camouflaged is bright and cheery (and it's nice to see Bing again). I can't help wondering how well that soldier might have been hidden were he placed in Scout's green ear...

I do nothing carelessly! (Particularly when I'd only need to tidy up again!).

Thanks very much for the comments. Abandoned is my favourite for sure.
Good soldier! He's nicely camouflaged even though he's not wearing camos.[emoji14]Took me a while to find him.
Less camouflaged, more wheres Wally haha

Danger: It's a unique take, I'll give you that. There's always danger in beauty ;)

Camouflage - a nice bright colourful image well done.

Danger - a nice bright sunset and yes if I was driving, I could see how that could be a distraction. With all that traffic about it could be considered dangerous, nice choice for the theme.

Camouflaged - nice and bright with some 3D pop.
Danger(ous) - lovely looking sunset, makes you realise we live in a wonderful world.

Nice idea for the shot. I'm afraid that the execution is a little lacking. The dashboard appears in focus, with the more distant object oof. Sorry.
No need to apologise. It was a shoehorn at best and one I'll likely re-shoot at some point :)

Bit of a shoehorn, but lovely sunset.

Cheers.
Not a fan of shoehorns though I will generally try to be original. Not 100% happy with the execution either if I'm honest.
I was very relieved you were the passenger Ian :) love the idea for the theme, so easily to get distracted when something beautiful like that crops up. You also captured two ufo's in those raindrops :)
The last few days have been amazing for sunsets up here. Just a shame I've been travelling during them!
Camouflaged - nice and bright with some 3D pop.
Danger(ous) - lovely looking sunset, makes you realise we live in a wonderful world.
Thanks very much :)
Camouflage - a nice bright colourful image well done.

Danger - a nice bright sunset and yes if I was driving, I could see how that could be a distraction. With all that traffic about it could be considered dangerous, nice choice for the theme.
Thanks for the comment. Much appreciated. :)
Danger: It's a unique take, I'll give you that. There's always danger in beauty ;)
The originality is what made me plump for it. Not so happy with the execution though and this is probably one I'll re-shoot tbh. Thanks for commenting.

Hey Ian. I'm way behind on commenting - forgive the delay. I like the shot for the nice sunset and that little water droplets on the windscreen. Definitely dangerous being in the outside lane when it's wet and on a busy motorway ... as well as having a nice sunset to admire.

Hey Ian. I'm way behind on commenting - forgive the delay. I like the shot for the nice sunset and that little water droplets on the windscreen. Definitely dangerous being in the outside lane when it's wet and on a busy motorway ... as well as having a nice sunset to admire.
Thanks, Carl :)
Hi Ian :)

Dangerous - An interesting take on the theme, the taking of the photo looks quite dangerous too, but I agree I'd be staring at the wonderful sky colours :)
Cheers, DK. Comments much appreciated (both of you).

Hi Ian - that's a great take from a camera phone for danger, well done. Some great tones in that sky and good detail retained in the road/traffic. As you say, a good theme for a reshoot anyway because there are a host of things that can make something dangerous so well done on keeping up and looking forward to this week's image!

Happy - I wondered if that's what the scarf was then I read your comments. Lovely interpretation of the theme

Abandoned- poor Bing good dof and the angle is perfect too.

Hi Ian

I like your take on Dangerous and can see how it fits the theme.

Lovely colours with just a hint of movement

Definitely a dangerous distraction even on a quiet road,more so though with all the traffic. A clever take on the theme that is really subtle too :clap:

Hi Ian - that's a great take from a camera phone for danger, well done. Some great tones in that sky and good detail retained in the road/traffic. As you say, a good theme for a reshoot anyway because there are a host of things that can make something dangerous so well done on keeping up and looking forward to this week's image!
Thanks, Paul. I'm not delighted with the take but was happy enough with the idea. Will definitely be reshot at some point.
Happy - I wondered if that's what the scarf was then I read your comments. Lovely interpretation of the theme

Abandoned- poor Bing good dof and the angle is perfect too.
Thank you :)

Abandoned is still my favourite so far.
Hi Ian

I like your take on Dangerous and can see how it fits the theme.

Lovely colours with just a hint of movement
Cheers for that. I can do better no doubt, but didn't want to fall behind (again!) Haha
Definitely a dangerous distraction even on a quiet road,more so though with all the traffic. A clever take on the theme that is really subtle too :clap:
Thanks. In the end, there are dangers everywhere...it's just how obvious you want the link to be!

Happy - I hadn't heard the term handfasting before, nice to learn something new. Works well for the theme with the backstory.
Abandoned - Saw this when you first posted it and thought it was great, but only just getting round to commenting on your thread. The low POV with the shallow DOF works really well.
Camouflaged - I thought this was going to be another Bing shot, took me a while to notice the soldier.
Dangerous - Good take on the theme and a nice sunset.

Happy - I hadn't heard the term handfasting before, nice to learn something new. Works well for the theme with the backstory.
Abandoned - Saw this when you first posted it and thought it was great, but only just getting round to commenting on your thread. The low POV with the shallow DOF works really well.
Camouflaged - I thought this was going to be another Bing shot, took me a while to notice the soldier.
Dangerous - Good take on the theme and a nice sunset.
Thanks for taking the time to comment Steve, particularly on a number of shots as I know time is precious.

On that note, I best get thinking about something topical!

Back