Ians 52

Excellent work Ian, all three are great.
I can't choose between the first and the second though.
The first looks very good and the mono processing is excellent. It fits the theme well and I like the composition....the tendril like branches give it an eerie feel.
The second has some great colour to it, and some great textures in the concrete. Also a very interesting composition/angle.
I think I prefer the first image however, but only just!!
Very nice work Ian.(y)

Great, detailed closeup image Ian.
Very nicely exposed too...works well as a mono.
I like that you placed the focus on the little 'fingerprints'....I say little....it's difficult to gauge the scale....but I like that about it too....mystery!!
Nice work!(y)

Hi Ian,
Technical critique on this shot has me asking if you checked your histogram before saving to jpg.
The image feels underexposed, which is something that the camera's auto exposure will do when there is a lot of white in the shot (similar to snow scenes). It underexposes to make the image overall average 18% grey.
A quick tweak of levels in either levels or curves would brighten it up nicely.

(Of course, you could have intended it to be exposed like this, in which case I'll shut up :) )

Hi Ian,
Technical critique on this shot has me asking if you checked your histogram before saving to jpg.
The image feels underexposed, which is something that the camera's auto exposure will do when there is a lot of white in the shot (similar to snow scenes). It underexposes to make the image overall average 18% grey.
A quick tweak of levels in either levels or curves would brighten it up nicely.

(Of course, you could have intended it to be exposed like this, in which case I'll shut up :) )
I do like my black & white images quiet dark. I did use the histogram in the view finder and exposed for the highlights as much as possible with blowing them out such as the top of the paw.

Wet - great image, certain made me smile! Really like the composition.

I like both the object and wet images.

A nice rough furred paw but nice detail in it's pad, and the wet one is perfect - I bet he stayed in his basket for a fair while to dry off

I like both the object and wet images.

A nice rough furred paw but nice detail in it's pad, and the wet one is perfect - I bet he stayed in his basket for a fair while to dry off
No the little sod rubbed himself against anything he could find. lol

Our pets sometimes come on handy when we need a subject, don't they? I did something very similar to your Object image a couple of years ago using the paw of our old dog. I can't remember what the theme was but it still makes me smile when I see it, after we lost her last year. I like your choice of B&W for this and also your Wet image as it brings out the form and texture in each. Your little doggy certainly looks soggy in that one :)

Our pets sometimes come on handy when we need a subject, don't they? I did something very similar to your Object image a couple of years ago using the paw of our old dog. I can't remember what the theme was but it still makes me smile when I see it, after we lost her last year. I like your choice of B&W for this and also your Wet image as it brings out the form and texture in each. Your little doggy certainly looks soggy in that one :)
Thank you for your kind words, we also lost one of ours last year, it’s heartbreaking.

Remember me :tumbleweed:Going to try and have a mega catch up.
First off is entrance.
full

Young
full

Last edited:
Welcome back Ian:)

Entrance: I like this image, clever framing and use of the foreground brickwork and the 'tunnel', draws the eye nicely all the way through.
Very nice mono processing too.
Young: What a cute puppy!! There had to have been some food dangling just out of the frame!:giggle:
Very nice catch light and well controlled whites....though a teeny bit hot on the right. Forgivable however since lowering exposure would have lost those lovely, lively details in the eyes!
Nice work Ian.(y)

Entrance
I'm liking the black and white, the right range of tones.

Young
Lovely puppy portrait.

More catching up done, not in order though.
Food, quick grab shot in the pound bakery.

68863CCD-BDF7-4FF5-A6DE-F9C72A4F9F1A-11501-000008C1182B300B.jpg

Back