iPHONE images... post your iPhone/Mobile pics HERE... :-)

Yep I have found the same with this humble Pixel 5 put them on this Samsung tablet and the images really do stand up very well

I've been playing around photographically quite a bit recently with my "iPhone 12 pro max" and it never ceases to amaze me at just how good the quality of the snaps from it can be if used properly. A couple of apps that I have installed which are very good indeed are "Skyflow" for time lapse stuff and "CameraPixels" for stills & video. Both of these are well worth a look and below I have included the link to a YouTube video that you might like to look at that includes both of these apps from of a guy that I follow. "Enjoy" :)

View: https://youtu.be/X5Ti39Jfdzw

"Excellent" low light capture Pete, I just don't know how the later batch of iPhones do it, but the dynamic range of tones in this shot is superb by any standards.
Thanks George, pretty amazing for a phone, it's also fun watching it adjust all the levels on screen a split second after taking the shot, I have to say the amount of correction in post is minimal compared to my "proper" cameras.

iPhone 13 Pro Max at Trafalgar Square, night mode DNG but I had to tweak it quite a bit.

Christmas 2021 - 02 by Garry Knight, on Flickr

Very nice candid street style capture Garry.

"I was going to ask you if you'd upgraded your iPhone as I know you said you were going to but they were all sold out at one time. I'd be really interested to hear your opinions of it"

Thanks, George.

Three different Apple Stores in London didn't have any in stock for two months, and then I found a Mac App called something like Stock Checker, and a day or so after I installed it, it told me that there were some iPhone 13 Pro Maxes in stock in Bromley so I ordered one and collected it the next day.

I love it as a phone as I prefer the screen size, and the ProMotion is excellent. The battery life is great, and it's great for watching videos on. It's taking a while to learn how to get the best out of the camera, especially since central London isn't the safest place to be right now. The raw DNG files are about 25MB each, and I've found that the iPhone tends to produce better JPGs than I can quickly wring out of ON1 Photo Raw. But I'll get there soon enough.

Thanks, George.

Three different Apple Stores in London didn't have any in stock for two months, and then I found a Mac App called something like Stock Checker, and a day or so after I installed it, it told me that there were some iPhone 13 Pro Maxes in stock in Bromley so I ordered one and collected it the next day.

I love it as a phone as I prefer the screen size, and the ProMotion is excellent. The battery life is great, and it's great for watching videos on. It's taking a while to learn how to get the best out of the camera, especially since central London isn't the safest place to be right now. The raw DNG files are about 25MB each, and I've found that the iPhone tends to produce better JPGs than I can quickly wring out of ON1 Photo Raw. But I'll get there soon enough.

Many thanks for that Garry, much appreciate.

A little earlier in the year I was going to hang on for "13 pro max" because of the delays at one time for getting a "12 pro max". They then became available and my wife bought a "12 pro max" and I was so impressed with it that I decided to get one and skip the "13 pro max" and get the "14" when it's available.

I've now more or less narrowed my snap taking apps down to two for stills. For street stuff I pretty much always use the Apple app that comes with the phone, I really like the face tracking which is very useful, and the quick video & burst modes, all ideal for street stuff. For more slower snaps or when using the phone on a tripod etc more often than not I use "ProCamera" an find this app does pretty much all I want and with both apps I only shoot in "pro raw" format. For more exacting videos etc I still use "Filmic Pro" and have yet to find anything better.

I bet you're finding quite an increase in quality from your old iPhone and that longer 77mm lens on the "13 pro max" must be really useful.

I was hoping that the rumours about the 14 wouldn't come out until after I'd bought my phone and, thankfully, they didn't. Otherwise, I'd have read about how good the 14's camera is going to be and held off for another year. But I really didn't want to as my XS's battery was getting drained by 4pm even if I wasn't using the camera. I could have taken the cheaper route and paid £49 or whatever for a new battery, but I'm glad I didn't wait.

I've probably got half a dozen apps with camera features, including ProCamera, but I always seem to end up using the built-in app. I can get the phone out of my pocket, slide across to the camera, choose a lens, and get the shot way before I could find the ProCamera icon. It's annoying that I can choose to have all the settings stay the same while the phone display is off, but the lens I chose last time isn't preserved; it's always set to the 26mm lens.

The quality is a lot better, and the 77mm is very useful, though I'm now finding I sometimes have to step back a bit more. I had thought about carrying the XS around so I've also got 56mm, which was always my preferred length for street, but one of the reasons for using the phone is so that I don't have to carry heavy cameras and extra lenses around. Anyway, it's still very early days, and I'll get it all sorted out eventually.

Given the spread of Omicron, plus the possible restrictions after Christmas, I won't be going out anywhere near as much for a while. I'll be posting more shots from the iPhone in the run-up to Christmas, and then some November Fuji shots after that, and then I'll probably run out of photos before mid-January. I suppose I could share a load of macro shots of my XS... :)

I was hoping that the rumours about the 14 wouldn't come out until after I'd bought my phone and, thankfully, they didn't. Otherwise, I'd have read about how good the 14's camera is going to be and held off for another year. But I really didn't want to as my XS's battery was getting drained by 4pm even if I wasn't using the camera. I could have taken the cheaper route and paid £49 or whatever for a new battery, but I'm glad I didn't wait.

I've probably got half a dozen apps with camera features, including ProCamera, but I always seem to end up using the built-in app. I can get the phone out of my pocket, slide across to the camera, choose a lens, and get the shot way before I could find the ProCamera icon. It's annoying that I can choose to have all the settings stay the same while the phone display is off, but the lens I chose last time isn't preserved; it's always set to the 26mm lens.

The quality is a lot better, and the 77mm is very useful, though I'm now finding I sometimes have to step back a bit more. I had thought about carrying the XS around so I've also got 56mm, which was always my preferred length for street, but one of the reasons for using the phone is so that I don't have to carry heavy cameras and extra lenses around. Anyway, it's still very early days, and I'll get it all sorted out eventually.

Given the spread of Omicron, plus the possible restrictions after Christmas, I won't be going out anywhere near as much for a while. I'll be posting more shots from the iPhone in the run-up to Christmas, and then some November Fuji shots after that, and then I'll probably run out of photos before mid-January. I suppose I could share a load of macro shots of my XS... :)
I think you can speed up the ’finding’ of an alt camera using an action/shortcut (name?) can’t you? I remember trying it out but cant recall the details at present:(.

I too am wary of Omicron etc and feel it's not a good idea to tempt fate for a few snaps even though we have had all of our three vaccinations.

I was going to venture up to London yesterday for a bit of street stuff and to see the lights etc but we decided to stay down here in Kent and will almost certainly do so until things have got a lot better. I'm quite lucky with regards to a stock of snaps though as I'm way behind with my processing.

May work for you? Strictly speaking it doesn’t change the default app:

I'm quite lucky with regards to a stock of snaps though as I'm way behind with my processing.

I know what that's like. I found 58 photos I took with the new iPhone, so there might be something usable there.

May work for you? Strictly speaking it doesn’t change the default app:

Thanks! This could be useful.

I know what that's like. I found 58 photos I took with the new iPhone, so there might be something usable there.

Thanks! This could be useful.
Seems to work, I just set it up for CameraPixels app and it works from the Lock Screen icon or “swipe”. From the Home screen camera icon it seems to open both Camera and CameraPixels, the latter having the ‘focus’.

I didn’t understand all the steps (as usual) and they seem slightly different now than at the site I linked.

I took this with the iPhone 13 Pro Max's widest-angle lens. Even with some perspective correction in Snapseed, the buildings are still at quite an angle. If I correct it any further, it would have to go to square or even portrait format. But that's what I get for pointing the camera up, from that distance.

Christmas 2021 - 05 by Garry Knight, on Flickr

Last edited:
I took this with the iPhone 13 Pro Max's widest-angle lens. Even with some perspective correction in Snapseed, the buildings are still at quite an angle. If I correct it any further, it would have to go to square or even portrait format. But that's what I get for pointing the camera up, from that distance.

Christmas 2021 - 05 by Garry Knight, on Flickr

That's a nice capture Garry.

"I'd heard several comments about the Christmas Tree In Trafalgar Sq this year with most of the comments saying it's a bit dismal. I kinda guess that this shot confirms just that, must admit it sure do look a tad sparse"

"I'd heard several comments about the Christmas Tree In Trafalgar Sq this year with most of the comments saying it's a bit dismal. I kinda guess that this shot confirms just that, must admit it sure do look a tad sparse"
Thanks, George.
I think it rarely has any decoration other than some lights and a star on top. This year you have to squint to see the lights. Next year, I expect the lights to be gone and the star to be replaced with a photo of Mariah Carey. ;)

My thought was that the tree being a bit ‘sparse’ made it a better photo than if it had been a more typically dense tree :).

My thought was that the tree being a bit ‘sparse’ made it a better photo than if it had been a more typically dense tree :).

Thanks. I've found when taking photos of Christmas lights with this iPhone is that the bigger the lights and the bigger the light halo, the better they look. So all they had to do was put bigger lights on the tree and it would only look sparse in the daylight. :)

Christmas lights in London.

Christmas 2021 - 15 by Garry Knight, on Flickr

That's an "Excellent" capture Garry, I'm seriously beginning to wonder if people like you and I really need anything other than our iPhones for street style stuff. The detail still within the highlights & shadows of this shot is remarkable.

"I'd also be interested to know just what street this is? Looks as if there could be quite some potential for street style snapping"

Last edited:
That's an "Excellent" capture Garry, I'm seriously beginning to wonder if people like you and I really need anything other than our iPhones for street style stuff. The detail still within the highlights & shadows of this shot is remarkable.

"I'd also be interested to know just what street this is? Looks as if there could be quite some potential for street style snapping"

Thanks, George.
With three prime lenses at different focal lengths, as long as we're prepared to crop in to frame the shot (or to do a lot of moving backwards and forwards), we could probably do OK. I find that when I zoom into a shot, the local contrast detail is fine, but some of the surfaces get flattened a bit. On the other hand, I might struggle a bit to get a handheld shot like this from any of my other cameras, and even on a tripod. I don't know how the computational algorithm works, but I'm happy enough with the results.

However, I just love the images I'm getting from the X-Trans sensor on my X-E2, so I'm not going phone-only just yet. :)

Many thanks for that Richard, I guess Garry may have missed that on my post to him.

Sorry, George, I did. And it is, indeed Long Acre. That's Covent Garden tube station at the far left of the photo. And if you turn to face the opposite way then take the first right past the tube station, you're in James Street, and there's often a good shot to be had there if you're prepared to wait around for a while.

Sorry, George, I did. And it is, indeed Long Acre. That's Covent Garden tube station at the far left of the photo. And if you turn to face the opposite way then take the first right past the tube station, you're in James Street, and there's often a good shot to be had there if you're prepared to wait around for a while.

Thank you kindly Garry, appreciate your reply.

Another very nice lowish light capture Garry, liking this one very much.

"I'm not too good at the moment at recognising streets in London (but I'm getting better). Would this by any chance be "The Strand" ? I do seem to recall at a recent visit to London we caught a 139 bus from outside Charing Cross Stn going to Oxford Circus"

Another very nice lowish light capture Garry, liking this one very much.

"I'm not too good at the moment at recognising streets in London (but I'm getting better). Would this by any chance be "The Strand" ? I do seem to recall at a recent visit to London we caught a 139 bus from outside Charing Cross Stn going to Oxford Circus"
Well, you’re getting bettter — good point about the 139 bus but “Simpson’s” and Nelson’s Column are good indicators — also the fact that Gary has tagged it as “Strand” in Flickr is a clue ;).

On the other one you asked about the buiding frontage on the left ‘screamed’ “underground station’ by its general appearance and of course “Garden” said which one ;).

Back