weekly It is what it is, Sirching for 52/2016 - 52 - Celebrate

I like this very much. ... long exposure ... selective colour work : brilliant.

Just seems odd that the barriers looks so horizontal whilst the train ... doesn't. :thinking:

That works really well Chris, clever idea too!

I like this very much. ... long exposure ... selective colour work : brilliant.

Just seems odd that the barriers looks so horizontal whilst the train ... doesn't. :thinking:
Thanks David, I was expecting the train to be horizontal but I assume it could be affected by the track being on a curve at that point and me not being square-on to the crossing.

That works really well Chris, clever idea too!
Thanks Chris

Horizontal works well patience paid off.
Thanks Clive, it was a good learning experience.

Hi Chris ...I liked this as soon as I saw it ....the ghostly image of the train I think works really well.

Hi, nice ghost train, works really well for the theme

The wispiness of the train really caught my attention - hardly there at all. Great idea :)

I think that works Chris, and of course any shot with a train is obviously a winner.
A hint of blue with red lining. Arriva trains perhaps?

Thanks all, I really appreciate the comments. Sorry @LC2, I really ought to know but it was either a Northern Rail or a Trans Pennine - I'll let you figure out the line based on that info!

52-2016-Vast1 by TheWub, on Flickr

This week's learning curve was panoramas although the image above isn't actually a pano, it's just a pano style crop. I went out last night and there was this vast storm cloud on the horizon, too good to miss.

Here's he best of the panoramas shot over the last few days, not bad I think, 6 photos covering nearly 180 degrees but I perhaps need to find a better loaction

52-2016-Vasr-Pano by TheWub, on Flickr

Very big scary sky well caught the first one definitely works better, though they are both quite impresssivly vast

Both lovely images Chris. The second is nicely "stitched" and a beautiful scene but #1 is my fave with that cloud dividing the sunshine from showers. :clap:

Nicely done Chris, liking the first one for me as the sky looks more powerful and engulfing the open land :)

Very big scary sky well caught the first one definitely works better, though they are both quite impresssivly vast

Both lovely images Chris. The second is nicely "stitched" and a beautiful scene but #1 is my fave with that cloud dividing the sunshine from showers. :clap:

Thanks all, much apreciated

#1 for me; a little bright on the RHS and a little dark on the sand but a nice moody sky.

Cheers
Thanks, I guess I could have balanced it up a bit in LR but didn't want to loose the drama and the sun had just set to the right.

Two cracking images there Chris I like them both equally No 1 for the sky No 2 for the stunning view!

I think that first one is a cracking image, Chris. Really well taken and you've handled any distortion from the wideangle well. The stitching on the second has led to a huge amount of distortion - not sure if you could have used a different perspective method to help reduce it?

First is super, though (y)

I think that first one is a cracking image, Chris. Really well taken and you've handled any distortion from the wideangle well. The stitching on the second has led to a huge amount of distortion - not sure if you could have used a different perspective method to help reduce it?

First is super, though (y)

Thanks Paul, TBH, Lightroom lens correction did it's magic on the first, I'm glad you like it. I knew I was pushing my luck with the second, I think a 180 degree panorama is always going to suffer, I did mess with the options in PS panorama merge but it didn't make much difference

Nice sky in the 1st Chris, but I much prefer the colours and view in the panoramic.

Nice sky in the 1st Chris, but I much prefer the colours and view in the panoramic.
Thanks Chris, it's always blue skies and sunshine up here ;)

Two excellent shots there Chris ...the sky in that first one is fabulous, and well done putting the second one together.
Thanks Susie

Thanks Chris, it's always blue skies and sunshine up here ;)
Poke some down this way can you? I've forgotten what it looks like :(

Chris, liking your thinking for the Horizontal theme, on my bit of railway they are shifting at 125 max. What I like about your image is even though you barley caught the train is so obvious that its there, the barriers down add to the feeling of speed and danger. Nice one.

Vast is well vast, stunning approaching storm. Powerful and scary too, looks like an explosion

Last edited:
Chris, liking your thinking for the Horizontal theme, on my bit of railway they are shifting at 125 max. What I like about your image is even though you barley caught the train is so obvious that its there, the barriers down add to the feeling of speed and danger. Nice one.

Vast is well vast, stunning approaching storm. Powerful and scary too, looks like an explosion

Thanks Lee

wooo ... love that storm cloud. :clap: .... and that crop.

Vast - First one for me Chris, due to the cloud and the dynamic range you've covered. That said, your pano is a much better image than any I've achieved so far.
Rough - I think I prefer the track to the cross. I think because of the use of the leading line as the subject.

Hi Chris. Rough2 is the more obvious link to the theme, excellent POV, nice leading line as Tim says and I like the fg interest in particular and for all those reasons it is my fave of the two. :clap:

Vast - First one for me Chris, due to the cloud and the dynamic range you've covered. That said, your pano is a much better image than any I've achieved so far.
Rough - I think I prefer the track to the cross. I think because of the use of the leading line as the subject.
Thanks TIm, I resorted to a geared head for the pano with full manual and fixed white balance. I'm glad you liked the track because it was quite difficult to shoot as I was shooting into the sun to get the shadows on the rocks.

Hi Chris. Rough2 is the more obvious link to the theme, excellent POV, nice leading line as Tim says and I like the fg interest in particular and for all those reasons it is my fave of the two. :clap:
Thanks Carl, glad you like it, as I said above it was quite tricky to get a decent shot of it.

Hard to choose between those two Chris they're so different and both excellent for the theme. Perfect choice of b&w for crucifix one, it really brings out all the surrounding textures. Rough #2 looks better viewed on Flickr it really shows the detail on the path, love the low aspect and the composition, well done with both ideas.

I do like a good graveyard pic and the high contrast does show off the rough texture of the stone but it knd of meeds a different BG as it blends on a little so I am going to say number 2, I like the low aspect the path has been taken from which shows the detail

Back