weekly Jason's 52 in 2014 - SUPPORT Added - We've made it to the end together :-)

Jason, good luck with your 52 and Happy New Year :)

Hi Jason & :welcome: to the madhouse....look forward to seeing your images.....

Thanks everyonebody for the messages of encouragement and welcome crazy corner...ha..ha..least I know Im in the right place.

So here is my first efford for bonus theme: Odd

Wanted to create something colourful, though now looking back at it appreciate the red looks pretty gaudy. Like most Ive gone for the odd number / odd one out interpretation. Just a warm up so look forward to getting more creative as we progress

Odd
by Jason Glyn, on Flickr

Hi, strong start. The red BG really works for me. Well composed and then flame has been handled well. I do like the slight glow in the match head.

Cheers.

Nb. Just added a frame via Snapssed and it seemed to work well with the square format.

Last edited:
Hi, strong start. The red BG really works for me. Well composed and then flame has been handled well. I do like the slight glow in the match head.
Cheers.
Nb. Just added a frame via Snapssed and it seemed to work well with the square format.
Thanks Andy. I did contemplate a border as it seems to be lacking interest overall and did'nt want to try adding interest with fancy complicated effects / processing

The bg really stands out and I like it. Wonder what a blue bg would be like? A good start.
Thanks Michael.....funny enough blue was my first choice then decided on red only for the connotations of red hot / fire

Hi Jason.
have to agree with what DK says above, works really well (y)

Hi Jason nice colourful picture I think the backround works really well was this a backround you put in place for the shot or added later in editing ?
Hi and thanks Craig. The background was put in place for the shot. Just a piece of A4 red card stolen form the kids craft box. Background was lit up from behind with a flashgun

:agree: Bet it was harder than it looks to get the flame looking that good. Well captured.

Like it. Dont know if i would be able to catch the flame that perfectly. How many attempts did it take?
:agree: Bet it was harder than it looks to get the flame looking that good. Well captured.

Seemed easy enough, this one captured on second attempt, but maybe I got lucky. Focused on the match head and took a test shot to expose for the background and matches first. Lit the match and waited for the initial flare to die down then took the shot. Opened in PS Raw and pulled the recovery slider as far to the right as possible to pull back some detail in the flame. Job done (y)

Simple clean idea, very well lit and executed. I just can't do lighting. Good luck for 2014.

Excellent idea and very nicely composed - you've not burnt out (geddit) the flame too much either - very well done.

Hi Jason,

I like the composition, idea and lighting. I agree with you that the red is a little too much but overall its a good image.

I like it Jason, the background alone is odd to me (y)

Here is my take on week 1: Linear/Line

I've get it simple with clean lines and no creative interpretation of the theme. Hope you like it

Went to ikea and walked round the showroom looking for this subject. Cant believe how many lines are in that place when you look around. :)

Thanks for looking (y)

Linear / Line
by Jason Glyn, on Flickr

Really like this - love the juxtaposition of the angles. But, having only just calmed my OCDishness down from last weeks topic, I am really, really wanting to straighten all those books :LOL:

I like the simplicity of both of these' they're very clean looking

On theme and plenty of lines. I'm not OCD like the other two women ;), but I'd like the books to all be straight up. I rather like the single book.

Cheers.

Odd - Nice vivid image. How many shots did it take to get just the right amount of flame without losing too much of the match?
Linear/Line - Super clarity on this and the mono conversion really suits the image

The match burning is well captured must have been very still air in the room to avoid the flame moving around. I'm not sure that raising the lit match above the other works so well.

More B&W and a well spotted take on Linear/Lines.

hi
nice clean sharp pic, well spotted, well done.
how did you manage to find a quiet corner to take your pic in Ikea, our local store tends to be a bit manic :eek:

Ive titled this "Play Dead" for weeks 02 theme: play

The photo of the foot I've taken myself then created a composite with a cockroach picture from the web.....Hope to try use the 52 challange to improve my composite skills as currently an absolute novice.

Self crit would be that more space required in from of the foot and at more of a side on angle to try and get the composite to look more real??

Had fun doing this anyways

Play Dead 2
by Jason Glyn, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back