weekly Jason's 52 in 2014 - SUPPORT Added - We've made it to the end together :-)

Well, I can see what you were trying to do - but the cockroach looks to be floating to me - not too sure how you'd "anchor" it to be honest. The two backgrounds would have to be almost the same.

Apart from that compo, exposure etc - spot on (y)

PS. If you wait until the summer I can find and post you one ;)

Odd ... that's good ... I can feel the heat :clap:

Play ... thanks for explaining what's going on here. I'd never have guessed it was a 'composite', but now you mention it ...

Clever stuff ... the cockroach is in sharp focus on a soft focus floor: nice effect even if it was just how it turned out. And did the cockroach come with it's own shadow? because it has one. And it works. (I don't know how to do shadows)

Re your self crit ... maybe the heel of the shoe could be seen to be on the floor. (?)

Originally Posted in the 'no comments' thread. Well it is my first year (y)

Like it and I'd agree with your own crit. The cockroach does pop, maybe a little too much. Looks like it's floating.

Do like the idea though and quick off the mark.

Cheers.

Well, I can see what you were trying to do - but the cockroach looks to be floating to me - not too sure how you'd "anchor" it to be honest. The two backgrounds would have to be almost the same. Apart from that compo, exposure etc - spot on (y) PS. If you wait until the summer I can find and post you one ;)

Thanks Sarah for the comments....I agree it doesnt look quite right. Thanks for the offer of posting me some, very generous but Ill pass the offer up ha...ha..:);)

Good take on the theme I like it.

Thanks Mandy, glad you like it :)

Odd ... that's good ... I can feel the heat :clap:

Play ... thanks for explaining what's going on here. I'd never have guessed it was a 'composite', but now you mention it ...

Clever stuff ... the cockroach is in sharp focus on a soft focus floor: nice effect even if it was just how it turned out. And did the cockroach come with it's own shadow? because it has one. And it works. (I don't know how to do shadows)

Re your self crit ... maybe the heel of the shoe could be seen to be on the floor. (?)

Thanks for the in-depth comments David.....Yup the roach shadow was added in the best I could. I did shoot some shoe shots in landscape showing the heel though it just seemed to dominate the composition....

Originally Posted in the 'no comments' thread. Well it is my first year (y)

Like it and I'd agree with your own crit. The cockroach does pop, maybe a little too much. Looks like it's floating.

Do like the idea though and quick off the mark.

Cheers.

Ha...ha Andy....you dropped a classic boo boo there :):) Thanks for the comments and agree that it pops out to much.....did try some blurring and adjustment layer to tone it down but setteled on what I posted.

Last edited:
Hi Jason, Interesting take on the theme I not quite sure what to make of it if Im honest I don't dis-like it but there some thing that it just not clicking with me

(great help hey)

Thanks for the comments Craig......If someone thinks its S**t then I wish they would say.....theres no point in us lying to ouselves and others if we wish to improve our skills:)(y)

Nice interpretation on the theme, just echoing what others have said that the cockroach does look a bit floaty but you knew that anyway. Good effort though mate (y)

Thanks for the visit and comments Simon....much appreciated mate

An excellent idea Jason .... I do agree that perhaps a bit more of the foot may be better .... well done though for such a unique interpretation of the theme :)

Thanks Susie for the kind comments......I'm looking forward to your next installment :)

I think if u make it a bit darker it would appear to be in the shadow cast by your foot, whereas at the min it looks like it's in full view of the light. Nice job making a composite though and quick thinking on the theme(y)

Odd - the reds a bit much but the matches are well done. I don't immediately think "odd" though, probably because of the symmetry - I'd have been tempted to have 5 matches with the 2nd burning.

Line - Nice and clean, agree about the shadow though.

Play - interesting take but there's something subtly off about the composite. I think it's because it looks like the foot would actually miss the bug?

I quite like the composition and colours, I can't help but think the gun was added in PP though. It it wasn't then fair play, it just doesn't look real to me. As an improvement I'd avoid the clipped highlights in the toe's of the shoe, maybe defuse the flash more? Regardless, its a striking image and I lvd how it tells a story.

Hi Jason

well , , if you hadn't said it was a composite image I wouldn't have guessed ....like the shadow as it adds reality ,really minor point is the highlight on the toe of the slipper but thats being mega picky....

good work mister (y)

Odd - Cracking shot. The glow in the burning match almost matches the red background so it looks like you're seeing through it :clap:
Line - Nice lighting though I'd have to either straighten the books or tilt them more.
Play - Different interpretation on the theme and nice composition.

I think if u make it a bit darker it would appear to be in the shadow cast by your foot, whereas at the min it looks like it's in full view of the light. Nice job making a composite though and quick thinking on the theme(y)

Thanks for the comments Adam....noted and taken on board

Odd - the reds a bit much but the matches are well done. I don't immediately think "odd" though, probably because of the symmetry - I'd have been tempted to have 5 matches with the 2nd burning.

Line - Nice and clean, agree about the shadow though.

Play - interesting take but there's something subtly off about the composite. I think it's because it looks like the foot would actually miss the bug?

I agree with comments re; play.......I can see what you mean. thanks for taking a look

I quite like the composition and colours, I can't help but think the gun was added in PP though. It it wasn't then fair play, it just doesn't look real to me. As an improvement I'd avoid the clipped highlights in the toe's of the shoe, maybe defuse the flash more? Regardless, its a striking image and I lvd how it tells a story.

Thanks Nick (y)

Interesting take on the theme. I think it's worked very well

Cheers mate

Hahaaaa I like that :D

The bug looks just right and the lighting/shadow shows the idea off perfectly - great DoF too :)

Ha ha DK.....glad you like it :)

Hi Jason

well , , if you hadn't said it was a composite image I wouldn't have guessed ....like the shadow as it adds reality ,really minor point is the highlight on the toe of the slipper but thats being mega picky....

good work mister (y)

Cheers for the comment Lynne. much appreciated

Another good one Jason, well done.

Thanks Judi :)

Unusual take on the theme. Works for me!

Cheers mate! (y)

Good composite and adding the shadow has helped give a bit more reality but.........couldn't you have found a cockroach of your own :D

Hmmmm....Peter, could'nt find any :( Though after my time spent in deepest darkest Africa, I've seen enough poppy seed poops to put me off the little critters for good !!

Odd - Cracking shot. The glow in the burning match almost matches the red background so it looks like you're seeing through it :clap:
Line - Nice lighting though I'd have to either straighten the books or tilt them more.
Play - Different interpretation on the theme and nice composition.

Thanks for the thoughful comments Michael....much appreciated mate (y)

nice three to start with jason

great work on the lit match - even down to the glowing centre
plenty of lines in the books, vert's, horizontals, and slightly of verticals too
the cockroach is a great inventive take on the theme, it's strange, you've done everything right regards the lighting and the shadow under the roach, but I can;t work out why it doesn;t quite look "real".... looking closer, I think it may be the OOF flooring, jarring with the sharp focus on the bug.

Pre-planning (maybe even drawing out the shot) could help here, a mark on the floor where the bug would be, focus there, shoot the shoe coming in, and then do exactly what you did in the compositing.

Look forward to the coming weeks. (y)

nice three to start with jason

great work on the lit match - even down to the glowing centre
plenty of lines in the books, vert's, horizontals, and slightly of verticals too
the cockroach is a great inventive take on the theme, it's strange, you've done everything right regards the lighting and the shadow under the roach, but I can;t work out why it doesn;t quite look "real".... looking closer, I think it may be the OOF flooring, jarring with the sharp focus on the bug.

Pre-planning (maybe even drawing out the shot) could help here, a mark on the floor where the bug would be, focus there, shoot the shoe coming in, and then do exactly what you did in the compositing.

Look forward to the coming weeks. (y)

Brilliant comment.....Thanks Graham...It is nice to receive such a comment with suggestions as above...Thanks for the tips (y)

A different take on the theme. maybe a different composition almost looking up at the foot coming down on to the bug.

Hi Jason, you're off to a strong start with these three.

Odd - I like your idea of 'odd one out' and the exposure is spot on, especially capturing the details in the glowing head. I agree with the choice of red for the background, too.
Line - another good idea, with plenty of lines on show.
Close - I can understand why it's caused so much debate so far :) It's an unusual interpretation and you were brave to plan and present a composite. It doesn't look quite natural but it's very close and the tips Graham has given above sound good to me if you were to try something similar again.

I'm looking forward to following your thread (y)

A different take on the theme. maybe a different composition almost looking up at the foot coming down on to the bug.

Thanks for the comments Rich

Hi Jason, you're off to a strong start with these three.

Odd - I like your idea of 'odd one out' and the exposure is spot on, especially capturing the details in the glowing head. I agree with the choice of red for the background, too.
Line - another good idea, with plenty of lines on show.
Close - I can understand why it's caused so much debate so far :) It's an unusual interpretation and you were brave to plan and present a composite. It doesn't look quite natural but it's very close and the tips Graham has given above sound good to me if you were to try something similar again.

I'm looking forward to following your thread (y)

Thanks Andrea, appreciate your comments and taking the time to check out my thread (y)

So, Week 3: Close

Got to admit Im not feeling inspired by this one, but hey, thats why its called a challenge. I did'nt want to do a close-up / macro shot but rather a close themed interpretation......I decided on the theme "Close encounter" and created this themed piece to match.

Close Encounter
by Jason Glyn, on Flickr

It's pretty, I love the colours, I can even appreciate the interpretation of the theme...but is it actually a photograph?

I like your interiptation of the theme, good pp.

Thanks Mandy

It's pretty, I love the colours, I can even appreciate the interpretation of the theme...but is it actually a photograph?

Hi Martin. No is the short awnser..ha..ha. :) though I could try and defend the photographic virtues of the individual elements making up the whole.

Because this is a personal challange I'm taking the oppurtunity to explore the "darker side" of the photography art. I appreciate people may think its cheating or its C**P and I would'nt argue against that because this kind of debate never really goes anywhere.

Thanks for the comment. I do appreciate it. I've always said "if there's something on your mind, then please say it" and comments and critques are no different. We should be able to give our opionion even if it goes against the norm

Last edited:
I quite like it Jason (y), you certainly have more pp skills than me.

I would have possibly left the plastic figure out and added a question mark to 'Close Encounters?' :)

Edit - plastic figure :rolleyes:,......... Buzz, cheers Graham :D

Last edited:
I really like that and can appreciate the effort that's gone into it....

Photography? I say not. But as an image it certainly stands up. If all the images used were shot by yourself (this week), :naughty: then your case is certainly much stronger. :)

Nice work on the PP side of it, might have positioned Buzz a touch further right, to strengthen the source of the light falling on him, and shadow behind him.

Close: that's pretty cool. I like your take on the theme. When I first saw it on my phone I didn't realise it was Buzz LY, but that makes it even better. Nice Processing.
How'd you do it?

Hi Jason, great piece of photoshoppery :D
Its on theme, creative, imaginative and well executed. Good work (y)

Great effort. i know not everyone does but i like composites and images like this. They take a lot of time/effort and skill to be done well and look good. Well done.

Back