JayJay's 52

Nice concept and well executed. I like it. I think one improvement for next time would be to try and remove the reflection on the N in January, the other reflections are fine but that one is a bit distracting for me. Nice B&W conversion too

Great concept Jon - very well thought out and composed. Personally, also don't like the lights on it.

Great start and like your first entry

Nice clean and bright Image, highlights spoil it a bit, did you use a sheet of perspex on top of the calander page. What did you use to light it?

Welcome along, Jay, and good luck with your 52. This is a good fit for the theme and I like the selective focus. The reflections are a bit distracting but I'm guessing you couldn't do anything about them, and you've also ticked off the first technique of the year with this one, too (y)

Right on theme, I agree the highlights are a shame but great idea. and do sort a link out from the main thread to make it easier to find you.

Last edited:
I so nearly did something very similar, but yours is much better than mine would have been! The dog is excellent, though it's a shame about the glare from the reflected light

I wouldn't worry about being a day or two late, it can be really hard getting your shot at this time of the year, with it being dark so early.

Very sharp on the head :) They are certainly eying you up, is it an attack duck????
My one observation is that the duck is on the left of the frame, moving out, so the space behind isn't being used.
Did you consider a slightly different crop / composition giving the duck space to swim into?

great capture that is open for sure.
they are often asleep when I see them :(
was he just waking up or just about to nod off ?

YAAAAAAAWN!!!!

Nicely captured!

@Cobra has taught you very well and he`d be proud of this gobshot too
Indeed!
You can almost see what it had for lunch (y)

Great image and very well captured. Bang on them and lovely detail. That's one scary mouth

Hi Jon, as Tim said above, don't worry about being a few days late with an image as it happens to most of us from time to time. Your image for Clean is sharp, colourful and the water running off the bill is perfect. Tim's advice about positioning in the frame is spot on too, and would only mean a slight adjustment.

Open is perfect for the theme and a striking capture - nice work (y)

New - really love the image, just not the hot spots. Great use of dof and mono conversion.
Clean - lovely crispy duck photo, nice colours too.
Open - well captured and nicely timed.

A Great start to the challenge.

Love the Open shot - great capture. I was thinking of a similar shot but using my moggy or old Collie. Not quite the same!

Back