weekly Jim Tod's 52 for 21

Not Fair, I want snow !
I like the play of the light on the hills in the background. Presumably you were wrapped up warm, sitting around waiting for just the right lighting :)

The darkness (vignette?) of the clouds at the top doesn't feel right to me though, it feels too dark given how much light there is on the hills and fields. pp or was it really like that?

Not Fair, I want snow !
I like the play of the light on the hills in the background. Presumably you were wrapped up warm, sitting around waiting for just the right lighting :)

The darkness (vignette?) of the clouds at the top doesn't feel right to me though, it feels too dark given how much light there is on the hills and fields. pp or was it really like that?

It's gone now- brief appearance for a day then rained away. Was out all day wrapped up- first time in ages- was great.

2 stop grad on sky and a polariser but that's all- late afternoon lowish sun, clouds coming from the front, sun dropping behind to right - was all blue skies about an hour earlier and I was lucky to catch the front edge of the clouds causing the shadows as the heavier cloud came over the scene

Lovely snowscape to start with Jim. (y)

All we have had is rain and frost, frost and rain for god knows how many days!

Lovely snowscape to start with Jim. (y)

All we have had is rain and frost, frost and rain for god knows how many days!

And we know frost and Cobra's don't mix well, slows them down I beleive

It's like a reverse landscape with the grim grey sky and the bright land. Very moody.

What a great view, and very nicely photographed. I'm very envious that this is your nearby! Great start to your 52!

Honestly, if there was snow I'd normally be headed to pastures further afield with big mountains and lochs. Lockdown meant I found some new local places locally. Clear(ish) skies helped as normally these hills are hidden behind mist and rain from where i shot them.

It's like a reverse landscape with the grim grey sky and the bright land. Very moody.

It's amazing what snow can do for a landscape- today the snow has gone and the sky and the land fight over which is duller

Good start and I love that light!

I am SO jealous - we've had nothing but grey cloud in East Anglia! I love the light on the snow - cracking shot.

Hi Jim

There's something a bit eerie there, you've done a fine job with that filter. (y)

Week 1- Fruit

Wk 0-Nearby-1.jpg

Attachments

• Wk 0-Nearby-1.jpg
    Wk 0-Nearby-1.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
A lovely detailed pear Jim.

( in other circumstances, that comment may have earned me a slap :D )

I was going to photograph a pair also but I ate one :exit:

Last edited:
Looks like a body-less baby suicking a lolly. There's a blemish on the pear where an eye would be. Honest!

Really nice colours and lighting with the red/rusty colour accent complimenting the green ins a subtle way. Maybe could have done with a bit more space on the right but that's just me.

I have a bit more space available, don’t disagree and will look to do a recrop

The colours and textures work really well together I really like it.

I do like that, it has a classic look, tones-wise.
The detail in the hessian really adds something. I don't quite understand why it's not distracting against the smoothness of the pear, but it isn't.

Last edited:
Good work Jim, I like the colour tones throughout the image, all complimentary really works well.
It has an oil painting look about it which really does suit the subject and background.

I do like it sat on the hessian - my only comment is that the hessian looks very green near the camera,

Was it lit this way? is it picking it up from the pear? Or is it (possibly) my monitor?

I used a gold reflector to lighten which has probably given it a more yellow look. Perhaps silver or white reflector might have subly reduced the yellow green

Hi Jim, When I saw your landscape picture I was extremely jealous. I long to be on my feet and on the trails... beautifully executed. It took me to a happy place.
Nice pear, I wonder if changing the hessian to a darker colour say brown may have made the pear stand out more! suberb texture and feel to the picture.

The colour trust the hessian has picked up from the good reflector is unusual, but didn't distract me as the pear looks very pear-like (which just be a good thing!) I like the lighting and the rustic nature of the background!

The real question is at what stage the pear was at - I hope you didn't photography it in the five minutes between it being a cricket ball and a wet sponge..?

I love the colour and texture in this. It has the feel of an old master rather than an photograph.

The colour trust the hessian has picked up from the good reflector is unusual, but didn't distract me as the pear looks very pear-like (which just be a good thing!) I like the lighting and the rustic nature of the background!

The real question is at what stage the pear was at - I hope you didn't photography it in the five minutes between it being a cricket ball and a wet sponge..?

I photographed it five minutes before i’d have needed an endoscope to photograph it, and it was ripe

Back