weekly Jon P's TP 52 in 2016 Challenge - Living World and Spiky Added

And a "possible" for Happy !

Up1B56b.png

Miniature works for me but I'm not sure you are being helped by the misty background, good photo though.

Happy - nicely captured but perhaps a little too tight although I know how hard photographing cats is.

Last edited:
Thank you - any suggestions around the little people ? :)

Hmmm well - I don't know how you do your TS but - maybe with a scene like that you could focus on the people with an OOF ruin in the BG. o_O

Happy cat :) ... a really lovely image.

This looks great to me - just like a building as part of a railway set. I don't find the yellow coat distracting - I think she starts the journey through the shot, and my eye is led on by the other little people to the abbey. I had never heard of tilt shift until this week - I've really enjoyed looking at the different examples.

Miniature works for me but I'm not sure you are being helped by the misty background, good photo though.

Happy - nicely captured but perhaps a little too tight although I know how hard photographing cats is.

Thank you :) yes the mist takes some of the detail away and i did try and adjust the contrast with a radial filter which helped slightly, but could be better :)

He he - she loves whapping the camera lens and strap so very much a stolen snap !

Hmmm well - I don't know how you do your TS but - maybe with a scene like that you could focus on the people with an OOF ruin in the BG. o_O

Happy cat :) ... a really lovely image.

Cheers :) - i may have a play with the peopple in focus and yes she loves dozing infront of the log burner :D

This looks great to me - just like a building as part of a railway set. I don't find the yellow coat distracting - I think she starts the journey through the shot, and my eye is led on by the other little people to the abbey. I had never heard of tilt shift until this week - I've really enjoyed looking at the different examples.

Thank you for your kind comments and I am partial to some TS myself :D

Hi, miniature tilt shift not really working for me needs more elevation maybe as has been mentioned, you have cropped bits of the cat which is a pity she looks very content there

Your TS for Miniature does works. I think a slightly tighter crop will improve it (from looking on flickr) and it could perhaps do with more saturation to give it the toy feel, but in all I do like it.
Happy - Nice sharp shot, I'm don't have the concerns around the crop that some others do, but it doesn't shout happy at me. Maybe it's because cats never smile.

Miniature - lovely image and I think the tilt shift does work, maybe not as obvious as in some shots but the people do have a miniature look about them.

Happy - that's a contented looking cat, not sure it totally says happy but a nice shot.

Hi, miniature tilt shift not really working for me needs more elevation maybe as has been mentioned, you have cropped bits of the cat which is a pity she looks very content there

Your TS for Miniature does works. I think a slightly tighter crop will improve it (from looking on flickr) and it could perhaps do with more saturation to give it the toy feel, but in all I do like it.
Happy - Nice sharp shot, I'm don't have the concerns around the crop that some others do, but it doesn't shout happy at me. Maybe it's because cats never smile.

:agree: With the above comments

Happy - Fits the theme lovely DOF

Miniature - lovely image and I think the tilt shift does work, maybe not as obvious as in some shots but the people do have a miniature look about them.

Happy - that's a contented looking cat, not sure it totally says happy but a nice shot.

Thanks all for taking the time to stop by, look and leave your comments :)

After some reflection I'm happy with Miniature as it is but thank you all for your suggestions

As for the cat / happy - it was a snatched shot and always no more than a "possible" I have a few ideas and perhaps even a re-shoot if she'll let me :D

Hey Jon :)

Sorry I seem to have missed a couple of yours, so quick catch up...

Captive - Really like your 'theatre' shop front edit, very well spotted and perfect for the theme :)

Miniature - Nice Tilt Shift, well done at getting a high viewpoint, I think the effect is done just enough to make it look like a model, like it (y)

Happy - A kitty in front of a fire of any kind this time of year is pure happiness, not that taken with all the clipped elements, but love the low PoV, the shallow DoF and the focus bang on the cats eyes, real nice idea :)

Thank you DK, much appreciated and keeping up with submissions at the moment takes some time and missed a few myself so thank you for taking the time to comment :)

Thank you and I'm hoping to re-capture the cat (as well as look for a "final" Happy) but as she has recently had her picture taken it may be some tome before she allows it to happen again :D

Hi Jon, you have some absolute belters in here so far - wow!

I really like Old - it just works on so many levels and the composition and execution are excellent. Great shot.
Metal - the watch shot is wonderful. A nicely lit product shot and use of negative space really draws you in. Fab job. If being really picky, I think the reflection would be even better if it were sharper throughout?
Captive - I actually really like the traffic shot! The shop window works well and is well captured & processed, but I find the irony in the traffic shot far more amusing. It's just me though!
Happy - nicely done with shall DOF really making it feel warm and cosy there. I haven't a scooby about photographing pets, but for me I'd rather not clip the ear and feet?

Some stunners though - really looking forward to more of the same.

Thats certainly one happy cat Jon, nice DoF (y)

Hi Jon. Love cats so happy is a winner for subject.... but have u thought of using the background to isolate ur subject? The second one has a wicker basket? Out one side so I'm not sure where the head ends or starts.. it's a small issue..

Both nice Jon but much prefer the second with that awesome lighting. :clap:

That last Cat picture is just purrrr no to cheesy thats just fab :)

Gaz

The second shot is awesome, but I think the first shot is great too and is better suited to the theme

Nice cats eye view Jon (y)

Happy the second one for me is more happy and I like the eye contact
the 3rd is the best picture great lighting

Thank you all for taking the time to look and comment - very much appreciated

Sorry its taken so long to respond - work and home-life have been somewhat hectic recently so just catching up and will catch up on all the other entries from everyone soon, promise !

Both nice Jon but much prefer the second with that awesome lighting. :clap:

Thank you :)

That last Cat picture is just purrrr no to cheesy thats just fab :)

Gaz

Cheers :)

The second shot is awesome, but I think the first shot is great too and is better suited to the theme

Thank you very much !

Really amazing shot, the eye contact is brilliant!

And thanking you too !

Your cat looks very happy and chilled out in all three shots Jon, but the lighting on that last one really is fabulous :clap:

He, he she is ! and thank you, very kind :)

Nice cats eye view Jon (y)

Cheers :D

Brilliant eye contact in the first shot - she looks very contented here, LOVE the lighting in the second!

She is, very ! and thank you so much :)

Two very contented looking cat shots there. can't say which I prefer. so (y) (y).

Thank you - I love the last one (but is an old one and wanted to take something after the announced theme (already cheated once !) :p

Happy the second one for me is more happy and I like the eye contact
the 3rd is the best picture great lighting

And thank you too ! :)

A couple of great Happy shots there. As others have said, the last one really has the wow factor and for me it certainly says happy (or at least content). Probably the first is more on theme and I think the stove adds to the sense of happiness/cosyness. Very neatly captured :)

Happy cat....Definitely shot 3 for me. I like the isolation from the shadows in the BG and the sprawled out pose. As a cat owner I know ours loves a spot of sunlight through a window :)

Hard one really, as pointed out its hard to get a cat to smile!

I love both shots, but the one with her lying in the patch of sunlight just pips it for me (y)

The re-shoot of Happy is really nice, good focus on the face and good DOF, the wood burner in the background does add to the shot. It's a definite improvement over the first shot which lacked the eye contact of this one.

The added one of the cat in the sunlight is a great shot.

A couple of great Happy shots there. As others have said, the last one really has the wow factor and for me it certainly says happy (or at least content). Probably the first is more on theme and I think the stove adds to the sense of happiness/cosyness. Very neatly captured :)

The second pussy cat shot for me. The lighting is spot on and what cat isn't happy lying in a sunbeam :)

Happy cat....Definitely shot 3 for me. I like the isolation from the shadows in the BG and the sprawled out pose. As a cat owner I know ours loves a spot of sunlight through a window :)

Hard one really, as pointed out its hard to get a cat to smile!

I love both shots, but the one with her lying in the patch of sunlight just pips it for me (y)

The re-shoot of Happy is really nice, good focus on the face and good DOF, the wood burner in the background does add to the shot. It's a definite improvement over the first shot which lacked the eye contact of this one.

The added one of the cat in the sunlight is a great shot.

Thank you all so much :)

Lot happier with the re-shoot as its in focus and no (or a lot less !) clipping

I love the dark one of her in the sunlight but didn't want that to be my entry as its an old shot and ive done that once (with miniature) so all "fresh" shots from now on

I also MUST catch up with comments and post abandoned .....................!

Cheers

Jon

Back