Jon's 2019 52- Week 17-Light and Week 18-Crowded

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I will try my hardest to get past week 16 this year......as I did last year, I am going to take all my images with old MF lenses. This week, it's a Zeiss Disatgon T* 28mm f2.0, which I used for all my images bar one last year. My wife has taken up a new project for the New Year-painting with oils. Seems a fitting image to start with.

I will try and keep up with what other folks are posting too. Looking forward to it!

Week 1-New
New Project by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Two very smart shots to kick-off with. I like the composition of NEW, and CLEAN suits b/w perfectly. Both bang on theme!

Thanks, Bob! Now just need to get up to date with what other people have been posting!

Two very good shots Jon, both nicely on theme but love the engine on the bike shot.

Thanks, Dave. I only realised a few hours ago that the new 52 must have started, took both of these this afternoon. It's great to have a reason to get the camera out, not been doing much with it recently.

New - what a terrifically bright and cheerful image, I like it.
I can sense the peaceful, and contemplative mood here, great story.
Very nicely focused too, especially with a manual lens, and the depth of field is just right to give a nice background blur, but not lose the environment story.
Lovely image!(y)

Clean - Excellent!
I really like the reflections. Great detail and superbly composed!
Works perfectly as a mono, such great contrasts.
Very nice indeed Jon.(y)

Good start there Jon. I didn't realise you were using legacy manual lenses all last year, a cool thing to do.

I like NEW, but looking at it I feel I would have liked to get the whole of the blue pattern (top right) in the shot. Mind you, that may have then meant I wanted even more - I don't know what your constraints were.

Is CLEAN a Harley? It's a V twin and the tubes (they're for the pushrods I assume?) look very Harley, but I guess it could be a Japanese cruiser.
It is certainly clean. None of my bikes *ever* look like that. Nice use of diagonals in the shot and control of the highlights.

I do love the bike image, especially the diagonal. And it is so CLEAN! Did you clean it purposely or is it always in that state?

Really like the reflections in the clean image, and there's loads of detail to keep you looking too. Nice deep shadows show off the shapes in the metal work

Two great ideas and images Jon. I particularly like to composition and exposure of the Clean bike image; I had considered something similar with polished aluminium bodywork on a plane, so I like your thinking.

Clean is a great shot. Works so well with mono and the details and reflections in the chrome make this shot what it is for me.

Well done

New - what a terrifically bright and cheerful image, I like it.
I can sense the peaceful, and contemplative mood here, great story.
Very nicely focused too, especially with a manual lens, and the depth of field is just right to give a nice background blur, but not lose the environment story.
Lovely image!(y)

Clean - Excellent!
I really like the reflections. Great detail and superbly composed!
Works perfectly as a mono, such great contrasts.
Very nice indeed Jon.(y)

Thanks, Gareth!

Jon, like both of these. But my favourite has to be the bike it’s got some great reflections

Cheers Chris! I also liked how the bike shot turned out.

Good start there Jon. I didn't realise you were using legacy manual lenses all last year, a cool thing to do.

I like NEW, but looking at it I feel I would have liked to get the whole of the blue pattern (top right) in the shot. Mind you, that may have then meant I wanted even more - I don't know what your constraints were.

Is CLEAN a Harley? It's a V twin and the tubes (they're for the pushrods I assume?) look very Harley, but I guess it could be a Japanese cruiser.
It is certainly clean. None of my bikes *ever* look like that. Nice use of diagonals in the shot and control of the highlights.

Thanks for the comments! I use legacy lenses a lot anyway, so I decided to stick to them for the 52 to add a bit more challenge and thought to what I shoot for the 52. I was restrained in my composition due to using a 28mm lens; any further away and extraneous elements crept into the shot.
Yes, it's a Harley, a 1200 Sportster. It's actually my wife's bike. It had just been cleaned by my stepson, who borrows it sometimes. Hence when thinking of Clean, it's the first thing I thought of!

I do love the bike image, especially the diagonal. And it is so CLEAN! Did you clean it purposely or is it always in that state?

As mentioned above, the bike had just been cleaned by my stepson, which is actually what made me think of it as a subject!

I really like the composition of your New shot Jon, you've really placed everything perfectly, right down to those two red apples, I can just imagine sitting down at that table
and starting painting :)

Clean is stunning ....I love it :clap:

Thanks Susie. I actually didn't rearrange anything for the New shot, just moved a laptop. My wife was just about to start painting, she has signed up for an online course to do oil painting (she has been doing acrylics and mosaics for a few years, but this is her first time using oils).

Really like the reflections in the clean image, and there's loads of detail to keep you looking too. Nice deep shadows show off the shapes in the metal work

Thanks, Carl

Two great ideas and images Jon. I particularly like to composition and exposure of the Clean bike image; I had considered something similar with polished aluminium bodywork on a plane, so I like your thinking.

Thanks Lindsay.

Clean is a great shot. Works so well with mono and the details and reflections in the chrome make this shot what it is for me.

Well done

Thanks Ian. I was very pleased how the Clean shot turned out. Initially I shot it hand-held, but then got the tripod out, glad I did.

Last edited:
Two nice ones to kick off the year. And Mono ticked too!

I really like the Clean image, looks great in mono (but then i'm a bit of a bike petrol head!) :)

Hi Jon

Two good images to start your 2019 challenge. Both are right for their respective themes.

I find 'New' a very calming photo - can't put my finger on why but it seems a perfect place for some painting.

Clean is a cracking image. Harley engines lend themselves perfectly for a shot like that and the mono suits it perfectly (y)

Welcome back, Jon, and you're under way with two strong images (y) A new project is the ideal subject for the first theme and I like the layout of the 'props' and the soft light and colours, while a harsher light and B&W processing is ideal for all the shiny surfaces and texture in the second image.

Jon

There is a lot going on in your first image, but it all helps tell the story. Focus is spot on the main elements and the background is there and nicely soft.
Clean, that is a nice image, lots of details and cleanness ( If thats a word)

Pete

Two nice ones to kick off the year. And Mono ticked too!
I really like the Clean image, looks great in mono (but then i'm a bit of a bike petrol head!) :)
Hi Jon

Two good images to start your 2019 challenge. Both are right for their respective themes.

I find 'New' a very calming photo - can't put my finger on why but it seems a perfect place for some painting.

Clean is a cracking image. Harley engines lend themselves perfectly for a shot like that and the mono suits it perfectly (y)

Thanks guys!

Welcome back, Jon, and you're under way with two strong images (y) A new project is the ideal subject for the first theme and I like the layout of the 'props' and the soft light and colours, while a harsher light and B&W processing is ideal for all the shiny surfaces and texture in the second image.

Thanks, hope I can keep it going the whole year thsi time!
Jon

There is a lot going on in your first image, but it all helps tell the story. Focus is spot on the main elements and the background is there and nicely soft.
Clean, that is a nice image, lots of details and cleanness ( If thats a word)

Pete

Cheers, pete. yes, the first image is a bit busy, but as you said, it's all part of the story...
Cleanness....I couldn't resist looking it up to see if it is a word lol... found this.

"Cleanliness" and "cleanness"

Cleanliness is a much more common word than cleanness.
They look similar and are certainly related.
But cleanness is usually used to refer to the senses of clean that have to do with shape, appearance, or impression (such as "pleasingly simple" and "having edges that are straight and smooth"):

The cleanness, tidiness, and manageability of city life kept surprising her.
the bareness, cleanness, and sobriety of Doric architecture
The performance showed all the technical exactitude and cleanness of tone that earlier music demands.

Clean is a great shot, love all the reflections and different tones in the shot. Not being a biker it took me awhile to work out exactly what it was but that doesn't take away from the shot.

Great shot Jon, bet that Chrome takes some cleaning.

New
A good little set up, I like all the elements and good control of the window light.

Clean
Good mono, lots of shiny bits.

One on the bank for Open; I have another shot I want to try this sfternoon, so I will see how that goes before posting in the main thread.
This is some newly open(ed) bluebells. Same lens as the previous two entries, a Zeiss Distagon T* 28mm f2.0, this time with a 10mm extension tube.

Open bluebells by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice. Love the pop of the green.

Week 3- Open (wide).

Here's another idea....same lens and extension tubes. Think I'm going with this one.....
Edit: I should have mentioned where I got the inspiration for this shot- I had a dental appointment this afternoon!

Open wide by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Excellent interpretation of the theme!(y)
You did well to capture this with the paper thin DoF you'd have with those tubes!
You've captured the detail well and over-exposing the surrounding area draws you into the image.
Nice work Jon, and especially nice to see that you look after your teeth!!:D
I'm not a dentist btw!!:LOL:

Excellent interpretation of the theme!(y)
You did well to capture this with the paper thin DoF you'd have with those tubes!
You've captured the detail well and over-exposing the surrounding area draws you into the image.
Nice work Jon, and especially nice to see that you look after your teeth!!:D
I'm not a dentist btw!![emoji38]

Thanks, Gareth! Yes dof was pretty thin, especially as it was shot at f4.
Lol it's not my teeth, it's my wife....I press ganged her into it.

Last edited:
Back