Critique required Kell's 52 in 22 - week 52. Showcase

Great idea for the theme, I also agree that the B&W is the better version, it just seems easier to look at to me.

Great shot Kell, and I agree with your processing choice.

Last edited:
Super kitty pix :)

Nice Kell, and the mono works so well with the black cat and the light/shadows

Typical cat. Laying there like she/he owns the place.
Good thinking Kell.

Nice shot Kell and appropriate given that All Hallows is coming up :D

Really considerate of your cat to lie in such a photogenic way, complete with shadows :) She/he looks very contented!
Typical cat. Laying there like she/he owns the place.
Good thinking Kell.
Nice shot Kell and appropriate given that All Hallows is coming up :D
Two cracking shots... the stripes create a semi-abstract feel.

Thanks all.

I did get another crack at this this weekend,

Friends of ours live in a converted barn, and when they had it built they installed this structural glass panel in the first floor.

5D3_2515 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Week 41 - RUSTIC.

Was at friends this weekend (as above) who live in the Peak District.

Rustic, according to the dictionary, just means 'of the countryside' so I took a few shots of Country things - including this from their garden which has a great view of South Head.

5D3_2533 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

5D3_2521 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

5D3_2531 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

But, to me at least, they say RURAL rather than RUSTIC.

So grabbed these shot of one of their water butts. Had to convert to B&W as it's actually plastic and was obviously plastic in the colour version.

5D3_2557 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

5D3_2556 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Of the countryside works for me Kell, and the shot of South Head is fabulous - I'm up in the Peak District in a couple of weeks - looking forward to snapping a few shots.

Of the countryside works for me Kell, and the shot of South Head is fabulous - I'm up in the Peak District in a couple of weeks - looking forward to snapping a few shots.

Beautiful rolling countryside - fits the bill nicely and is my favourite :)

Thanks both.

I really struggle with assessing my own landscapes. I never seem to end up with a point of focus in mine. So am unsure whether or not it makes a good/interesting image.

What I did do with the crop was make sure that it fitted exactly to the thirds.

So the bottom third is all hedge, the top third is all sky.

Last edited:
Thanks both.

I really struggle with assessing my own landscapes. I never seem to end up with a point of focus in mine. So am unsure whether or not it makes a good/interesting image.
I know what you mean - I am the same, but I would say my eye is drawn to the peak and that is the beautifully lit part of the photo. I know little of landscape photography so take my critique with a pinch of salt!! I think the weaker part is the shadow in the foreground, however if I scroll to remove it, I think it loses balance. Maybe a little could be chopped off the bottom?

I know what you mean - I am the same, but I would say my eye is drawn to the peak and that is the beautifully lit part of the photo. I know little of landscape photography so take my critique with a pinch of salt!! I think the weaker part is the shadow in the foreground, however if I scroll to remove it, I think it loses balance. Maybe a little could be chopped off the bottom?

Thanks.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Just updated my post at the same time as you posted.

Because I felt like there was no real focus, I did try and make sure that it sat exactly on the thirds lines. so the darker hedge is the bottom third.

1666006385649.png

Last edited:
Try a crop with the top bit of the hill a bit further right on the right top 3rds intersection and see if you like that. That is what I would do.
BTW not keen on the water barrels now that I know they are plastic, should have kept that bit to yourself.

As I will as well, hoping for some nice coloured leaves but suspect they may have fallen by then due to the heatwave we had.

An interesting collection once again but I am with you on the water butt. It works in mono but I can imagine its not so pretty in colour.

Interesting conversation about your landscape shot Kell. For me the bottom is so dark that it keeps pulling my eye down. When I saw the barrel, my first thought was...oooh, a barrel of rustic ale :beer:

I like your chosen image.

Interesting conversation about your landscape shot Kell. For me the bottom is so dark that it keeps pulling my eye down. When I saw the barrel, my first thought was...oooh, a barrel of rustic ale :beer:

I like your chosen image.

Thanks - maybe my screen isn't as dark as everyone else's. As while the hedge at the bottom is clearly a dark line, there's still lots of detail in it on my screen.

(Admittedly, my monitor has not been calibrated,)

Week 42: Precision.

This wasn't going to be my chosen subject or idea, but ran out of time and didn't want to get too far behind.

Taken with a FF camera and fairly decent lens, but had to be a very heavy crop as it's not a macro lens.

TP52: WK42 - Precision 04 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Then added a couple of extension tubes to get closer and gert that real limited DOF.

TP52: WK42 - Precision 03 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP52: WK42 - Precision 02 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Then I remembered that the £20, 20 year old PAS had a super Macro mode. And I much prefer this shot...

TP52: WK42 - Precision 01 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great shot Kell. Love the chronical of your thoughts. Definitely prefer the shot you picked and really like how you processed it.

Back