Kell's TP 52 2020 - Weeks 51 and 52.

Thanks all.

I always try and attempt the technique on the first week - more to get it out of the way than anything else.

So, as @Phil S rightly says, it's a bit of a stretch as I didn't really know what it meant or why you'd want to do it. I googled it, but it wasn't much help.

I suppose I do have some more weeks to give it another go...

Digital makes me wince every time I look at it, very well done.
Soft Focus, lovely shot of the Robin.

My favourite is the 1st shot with the squirrel behind ( we have to take your word for it :ROFLMAO: ) It's interesting to see him picking at the moss on the roof. I had a crow doing the same last week.

I love the colours with the red breast sandwiched between the green of the moss and the trees... oops almost sounds a bit rude :whistle:

The third one for me nice light trails and the lit church adds to the overall image.
very brave standing in the middle of that you must have got some funny looks.

Hi Kell,

Narrow - #2 for me. The closeness of the cars flying past gives it more impact / intimacy. #3 next for me, because of the spire, but I don't like the road sign directly in front of you (perhaps the tripod could have been placed the other side of it?)
Snappers - I'm not a nature tog, but I do like the separation in #1
Digital - I love the "Making of" story going behind the main image. Brilliant and very well put together for the main & blooded shots.
Sharp - I'm going to plump for #2, the B&W one. Though I can't say exactly why.
Food - #4 - The rusty sign - for me. Loving the abandoned look, the texture and the separation again.

Hi Kell,

Narrow - #2 for me. The closeness of the cars flying past gives it more impact / intimacy. #3 next for me, because of the spire, but I don't like the road sign directly in front of you (perhaps the tripod could have been placed the other side of it?)
Snappers - I'm not a nature tog, but I do like the separation in #1
Digital - I love the "Making of" story going behind the main image. Brilliant and very well put together for the main & blooded shots.
Sharp - I'm going to plump for #2, the B&W one. Though I can't say exactly why.
Food - #4 - The rusty sign - for me. Loving the abandoned look, the texture and the separation again.

Thanks for the catch up.

#2 was moving the camera forward so that you couldn’t see the road sign.

Unfortunately it meant that you lose the church.

I also liked the closeness of the cars - and shooting it wide made them feel a lot closer, but ultimately, I preferred the composition.

Which is odd, as the shot I went there to get originally was the one with the >2M< sign in it.

What I have noticed with this project is that the tripod I bought when I had a much lighter camera/lens combo is definitely not up to the job any more.

Last edited:
Two very nice pictures there - my preference is for number three on your narrow down as well for the background.

And hopefully both the supply chains and people's common sense will limit the shortage of your paper...

Nice shot Kell and a valuable commodity not too long ago... :D

Two great shots there. I agree about #3 for the narrow shot. Loving the humour behind paper...

Nice set of light trails and your chosen image for the narrow theme works very well. Paper - I like the empty toilet rolls a little more for what they represent .

The third one for me nice light trails and the lit church adds to the overall image.
very brave standing in the middle of that you must have got some funny looks.

TBH, I think people were way too busy concentrating on not kerbing their alloys to pay me much attention.

On that day, we actually had a BMW X5 as a hire car and it's massive. I parked it somewhere else so I didn't have to drive it through that gap as I'd have been paranoid about it fitting through. Or rather, not fitting. While I was stood there, I did hear a number of cars scraping their alloys along the kerbs.

Last edited:
A very different camera from the usual, but just as valid.
It probably has better low light performance than a lot of our expensive ones too !
Somehow you've managed to not be obvious in the reflection too.

Thanks - if I'm honest, I figured there might be lots of people taking pictures of their old cameras.

As there are lot of way more talented photographers than me, I figured it would be best to not get into a direct head-to-head. ;)

So tried thinking about the other cameras in our lives.

Thanks - if I'm honest, I figured there might be lots of people taking pictures of their old cameras.

As there are lot of way more talented photographers than me, I figured it would be best to not get into a direct head-to-head. ;)

So tried thinking about the other cameras in our lives.
I'm thinking similar things - but looks like I'll be going down the abstract route...

Nice pic of the security cam - can't help but wonder if there was a confused operator watching you at the other end of the electric string...

Nice idea Kell.. living rurally thankfully I don't see many of those around. Or perhaps I just don't notice them.

I haven't seen many of these sorts of cameras recently with lockdown. Well done for thinking of something different. B&W and the vignette works well.

Paper: I missed this shot before - works well in black and white and is very topical! I might have the same holder :) The 'quilted' paper adds a nice bit of texture too.

Last edited:
Hi Kell

Well done for being different to me and many others. I like how simple it is.

Pete

Week 49 - Leaves.

All taken stood in my back garden.

TP 49 - Leaves-9803 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP 49 - Leaves-9790 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP 49 - Leaves-9785 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Holding on for dear life.

TP 49 - Leaves-9777 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

So this Robin kept coming to see what I was up to, I thought I'd better take a picture of him before he leaves.

I had been messing around with apertures and shutter speeds for the shots of the leaves, so F10 and 1/40th definitely wasn't ideal, but a shot's a shot.

TP 49 - Leaves-9753 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

A bit of sun, and even the weeds look good.

TP 49 - Leaves-2669 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
How nice to have an oak tree in your garden! Nice selection of shots - did your Robin leave? :D It always amazes me that at this time of year you can get what look like green shoots appearing through the autumnal leaf litter.

How nice to have an oak tree in your garden! Nice selection of shots - did your Robin leave? :D It always amazes me that at this time of year you can get what look like green shoots appearing through the autumnal leaf litter.

Unfortunately so. He came back periodically, but I don't want to encourage them too much in case our cat catches them. We've had three or four robins 'gifted' to us this year.

Last edited:
Unfortunately so. He came back periodically, but I don't want to encourage them too much in case our cat catches them. We've had three or four robins 'gifted' to us this year.
I know what you mean. Our cat brought one in and it ended up stuck behind the radiator! My OH ended up having to take the radiator off the wall and then we had a robin flying round the room. Eventually it found the open window

My cat is quite old now, but I still make sure I feed the red squirrels at the edge of the garden. They still come up close though sometimes.

I'd make the same choice as you too. Wonderful colour and great dof.

A nice set of photos Kell, I like the one you chose for the light brightening the leaf and bringing out the colours. Also like the Robin just because I like Robins!

Oak on moss for me too Kell. (y)
Nice contrasting colours

Like your narrow shots, good use of light trails.
The leave shots are very good with great use of DOF but I just cant resist the Robin shot.

Leaves
They're all pretty good looking. I do like the black and white, maybe a little more than the others.

Back