LC2's Cosplay & Railway Shoehorns for 2019 - COMPLETED - Week LII - Out Take

Some great work here Tim:clap:....wish I could have joined down in that London!
Fingers crossed for April.

Environmental: Nice bit of candid, street toggerey!
Near: I really like the composition, and the red works well...very striking!
Far: Excellent, crisp cityscape, and hand held too @1/30th sec...nice! I do like the lights in the far background reflecting off the misty substance.
It was an evening of intermittent low cloud. It could go from relatively clear to the city disappearing in a matter of minutes. It was really quite odd.
A bit damp too.

Week XLVIII - (Cos)Play(ing)

IT should need no introduction and Cosplaying was always going to be the shot for *play*
Deliberate tight crop. Lit with defused OnCF to lose the background as much as possible. Ellie's (Pennywise) make-up is fantastic and the expression on Georgie's face is fantastic.

Week XLVIII - Play : Georgie Denbrough & Pennywise - IT
by Tim White, on Flickr

Both great shots, I prefer the second myself, the eyes have it :)

What flash settings did you use on this, and what type of flash was it, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
Both great shots, I prefer the second myself, the eyes have it :)

What flash settings did you use on this, and what type of flash was it, if you don't mind me asking?
Godox 685 flash with a cheap copy of the Fstoppers Flash Disc as a diffuser.
ISO set to 100 and shutter set to the max sync speed (1/250th on the fuji) to lose the background and then just using TTL (usually -1/3rd for full and 1/2 body, -2/3rds for close up - but it depends, sometime with black or shiny costumes I end up on manual).

For some reason I don't understand, the Godox will give more power on TTL than it does on Manual, even set to 1/1

1st one for me these portraits are so much better when the BG is isolated, it’s a pity about the pole but it’s not to distracting to be honest as you are drawn to their faces

Godox 685 flash with a cheap copy of the Fstoppers Flash Disc as a diffuser.
ISO set to 100 and shutter set to the max sync speed (1/250th on the fuji) to lose the background and then just using TTL (usually -1/3rd for full and 1/2 body, -2/3rds for close up - but it depends, sometime with black or shiny costumes I end up on manual).

For some reason I don't understand, the Godox will give more power on TTL than it does on Manual, even set to 1/1
Thanks Tim,

I'm pleased it is not only me finding that, I have been having a play with my 860ii in preparation for my MIL's birthday party, and I've been finding similar. Closish up they can overexpose by a couple of stops too. I normally use the flash in manual, but at the party I will be using TTL, but probably at around -1/2 and see how that goes, the camera will be in manual SS and AP but more than likely Auto ISO depending on the ambient.

Thanks Tim,

I'm pleased it is not only me finding that, I have been having a play with my 860ii in preparation for my MIL's birthday party, and I've been finding similar. Closish up they can overexpose by a couple of stops too. I normally use the flash in manual, but at the party I will be using TTL, but probably at around -1/2 and see how that goes, the camera will be in manual SS and AP but more than likely Auto ISO depending on the ambient.
I guess you already know this, but using Auto ISO you're going to be trading:

Heather Chandler - Heathers
by Tim White, on Flickr
for

by Tim White, on Flickr
I was playing :)
The plus side being much faster re-cycling of the flash, but as you have the 860, that's less of an issue than with my AAs.

I guess you already know this, but using Auto ISO you're going to be trading:

by Tim White, on Flickr
for

by Tim White, on Flickr
I was playing :)
The plus side being much faster re-cycling of the flash, but as you have the 860, that's less of an issue than with my AAs.
Yeah the 860 is fast to recycle, depending on the consistency of the light I might be able to go full manual. But I don’t know what the setup will be yet.

Excellent portraits, the make-up on the girl on the right is incredible!

Excellent portraits, the make-up on the girl on the right is incredible!
A lot of cosplayers are really skilled in makeup and costume design and build. Ellie is usually fantastic :)
Fantastic work as always Tim!:clap:
I just love the crispness of your portraits!
#1 is terrific, as has been said, her make up (Pennywise) is excellent, and well captured.
A superbly menacing expression she has too.
Excellent!
Cheers Gareth. I couldn't do these portraits without the cosplayers themselves and their incredible work.

Week LI - Christmassy (+ Technique)

What's this, LC2 posting in the correct week for a change?
Someone pick me up off the floor...

Some Christmas lights. Nice small aperture to provide star-burst and a 10sec exposure to hit the technique.

I may have mucked around in photoshop a bit to give it a bit of a bevelled edge - It's Christmas !!!

TP 52 for 2019 : Week LI - Christmassy
by Tim White, on Flickr

Nice shot Tim, certainly well on theme and great starbursts. :)

Hi Tim,
I like the nice wide shot for Far as it emphasises the distance. The stabilisation in those cameras and lenses (plus your steady hands of course) is incredible.
Playing is a great shot too. They must take loads of time on costumes and make up.
Christmassy is a very nice shot. Great colour, starburst and I like the subtle beveled edge. That really adds to it :)

Nice shot Tim, certainly well on theme and great starbursts. :)
Cheers Rick. It was the starbursts I wanted to bring out :)
Nice colourful christmassy shot Tim, plus technique too.
Ta Dave
Hi Tim,
I like the nice wide shot for Far as it emphasises the distance. The stabilisation in those cameras and lenses (plus your steady hands of course) is incredible.
Playing is a great shot too. They must take loads of time on costumes and make up.
Christmassy is a very nice shot. Great colour, starburst and I like the subtle beveled edge. That really adds to it :)
I have a feeling I rested against one of the pillars for the wide shot, I'm not that steady ;)
Getting ready for cosplay takes time. The make-up has to last all day!
Lots of Christmassy colour in there and good starbursts
Cheers Allan. Starburts FTW !

Nice shot of the Battlements Tim and good old Fuji colours too. Like how they place these battle guards as I call them.
It's actually a children's playground. Bedfont Lakes are old gravel pits that have been re-purposed as a park.
Great colours in Christmassy and a nice full frame of lights, love your star's.
Short is great colours again nice greens and sky.
Fuji colours in 'short', Canon in 'christmassy'
A colourful shot for Christmassy and lots of starbursts too.
Ta Stan. Starbursts were the plan once I found the tree to take shots of.

Loving the Airbus shot, very nicely taken. The Harley Quinn shot is interesting too :)

Loving the plane shot great pov.

No link for the second image, which is a cool shot and nicely focussed.
I dunno Dave, I think the Plane is a bit of a PABD, but it fits the theme.
And sods law that I mucked up the link on Free Week just after you did ;)
Loving the Airbus shot, very nicely taken. The Harley Quinn shot is interesting too :)
The Airbus wasn't that hard really. Wander along the road to the point where they were directly overhead (I lined up using the approach lights) and then spray and pray in continuous high with AFC.
Toby does a pretty good Harley doesn't he :)

Week LII - Out Take

When you're collared to do some group shots, but all you have is a 50mm and no way to get the distance you need with that FOV.
So... You do some Panos and hope.

2 of the 3 Panos worked fine, but this one, er... didn't...
Gotta love Photoshop fails.
SquadPanoFail.jpg

NB. Looking at the images, I have no idea how I thought it was going to work...

Great finish to your 52 challenge Tim!:clap:
I've enjoyed your Cosplay images tremendously throughout the year (and of course the non-cosplay ones too)!:giggle:
I'm sure I'm not alone in looking forward to seeing more next year!(y)

Christmassy: Fantastic, colourful image with a great starburst effect. Just oozes festive charm!
Short: Super colours, and a well balanced composition - the eye is drawn nicely from the bottom to the top very effectively.
Below: Great shot...I can only imagine how loud it was!!
Free Week: Super sharp and colourful...and his expression is pretty good too. Excellent, crisp portrait.
Out Take: Yep...I couldn't say how you could possibly make this work either...but it's a fun image...love the 'thumb' over the lens in #3! Classy!!:LOL:

Back