LC2's Many Many (More) Fine Shoehorns in 2018 : Week 52 - Showcase [2018 Complete]

Cooking

I'm not sure you need eye contact, I think it works well as it is.

Pull

How many train related shots have you managed to get into the 52 so far this year?
It looks alright to me, I can see why you've left space in front of the locomotive and I think it works.

Forked. Certainly makes an impact. Really good shot, well processed, hits the spot with me.

OH Dear, well and truly forked.
It can only have just happened when I walked past it the previous day, as there was a traffic car there and a copper talking to someone (driver? I doubt it, but maybe a witness).
I (and most other people tbh) normally walk road side of those trees (the pavement is wider on that side). It's quite lucky that there are none of the 'can you help with this accident' boards you get at fatalities really, it's reasonably busy along there.

Week 37 - ART

A re-creation of the artwork used by Strong's Brewery of Romsey that would have been seen years ago on the line out of Waterloo to Hampshire and Dorset. The wording being either "You're approaching the Strong Country" or "You're in the Strong Country" depending on where you were.
here depicting a Bulleid Merchant Navy - 35005 - Canadian Pacific in un-rebuilt (spamcan) form.
Framed by the openings in the smoke deflectors of Maunsell Schools class - 925 - Cheltenham at Alton station.

I took some shots of the whole billboard and then a number of variants on this theme.
This one ended up being my favourite.

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 37 : ART
by Tim White, on Flickr

Good shot Tim, different and interesting. Do you know if the stylised picture is what was used, it reminds me of something you might of seen on an episode of Poirot, the same sort of time period.

Good shot Tim, different and interesting. Do you know if the stylised picture is what was used, it reminds me of something you might of seen on an episode of Poirot, the same sort of time period.
I think that mind of stylised image was very in vogue for the time. I'm pretty sure the ones on the MHR are accurate representations (loco number might be changed?).
If you google Strongs Brewery Romsey you'll find quite a few images, and they are all that style (not all railways).

I think that mind of stylised image was very in vogue for the time. I'm pretty sure the ones on the MHR are accurate representations (loco number might be changed?).
If you google Strongs Brewery Romsey you'll find quite a few images, and they are all that style (not all railways).
Thanks Tim, now I wonder if it can be recreated in a photograph?:whistle:

I really don't get it I have spent the last 10 minutes looking at it and my first thoughts, which are all I can go on, is the house on the right is distracting the smoke deflector of 925 is far to prominent and not enough of the artwork you are trying to put across.

Im interested in the decision as to why you chose this view, because of the theme being art do you think its more fitting than a view of the billboard in its environment.

Forked,

Well and truly! The cross processing and vignette processing works very well.

Art,

I like this, I like how you have framed it through the smoke deflectors of 925.
Thanks Michael, it was the framing I was after / playing with :)

I really don't get it I have spent the last 10 minutes looking at it and my first thoughts, which are all I can go on, is the house on the right is distracting the smoke deflector of 925 is far to prominent and not enough of the artwork you are trying to put across.

Im interested in the decision as to why you chose this view, because of the theme being art do you think its more fitting than a view of the billboard in its environment.
I do know what you mean about the house. There wasn't anything much I could do about it though (I suppose some radical cloning...) short of asking the crew to move the loco (and I can guess what the answer to that would have been!).
I wanted to play with framing to give it a different look, rather than a reportage shot of "here is a billboard". I did try some other angles through the smoke deflectors and also an angle with the loco in shot and the billboard in full
This one does have the benefit of only having trees in the background (I'm hidden the modern flats behind the loco).

You're Approaching The Strong Country
by Tim White, on Flickr

Yep me too ^^^

More train is never a bad idea :D

I like both for art, but my pic is the #2 as it shows off the art a lot better imo.

Yep me too ^^^

More train is never a bad idea :D

I like your take on the theme, different and very 'arty'. Like the idea of focus through the opening but the large dark left side is not adding any interest to the image and also the sharp tree/house background is drawing my attention away from the poster.

I'm getting the impression... Nice try, but it didn't work.
To be fair I am now tending to agree.
Perhaps if I'd left the reflections in the smoke deflector (of the photographer) rather than reducing the exposure at that point, it might have been less boring. Shrug.

Oh well, it's new theme time soon, let's see how I can muck that one up :)

Tim

Forked, as it says on the tin. Like the processing adds to the feel.

Art, I prefer the second image with out the house. The first one is just too dark.

Pete

Hi Tim, well I'm pretty much caught up with my own images so doing the commenting now, been so long since I have done any!! so here goes

Hard - Good one, nice dof throwing the bg out of focus
Creature - Have only visited London a couple of times, so had no idea where this was and to be honest still don't know lol. Nice little statue and as you say it stands out well against the wall behind
Synthetic - Different take on the theme. I think you did well to lose most of the bg and just leave the neon
Rural - Not sure it shouts rural to me but it's a lovely engine at a small station. Nice lot of steam going on too. Didn't notice the other engine at first, now I can't stop seeing it!
Bright - Nice Starburst but I think you know the rest of the image is a little too dark
Elegant - good shot of the two cars going over the curbs. I like the angles but not sure for me it's very elegant
Derelict - Now this one is looking pretty derelict with the faded and peeling paint. What is it and why does it have barbed wire on the top of the wall?
Home - Great couple of characters, dof is good so not too many distractions in the bg. A bit wider shot would have been nice, so that all the bits were in but I understand the difficulties. Maybe if you could have got their heads a little closer together :whistle: The direct look from the girl on the left is very engaging :)
Round - Yep straight to the point and definitely round. Thats why I don't go to London, too many people getting in the way :D
Cooking - I like this, it looks as thought it might have been a bit tricky with the light. I don't think it matters that she isn't look at you and I like that you managed to get the steam coming from the pans. I might have cropped some of the right hand side off to focus more just on the two ladies
Short - Nice neat short nails and nice painting. Not a very appealing shot, though not sure how you could have done it any differently.
Forked - Oh dear very forked. I liked the processing of this one and the low pov. Not your car I hope!
Refuse - Really like this, well posed to have the oof eye just showing in the bg. Was this by any chance one of the fake arms? It just doesn't look quite real, not that it detracts from the image, just curious
Dark - Always good to try something different even if it doesn't quite work. I like the composition and the b&w conversion looks great
Splash - I prefer the first one, I like the yellow reflected in the water. I think I might have cropped a bit off the bottom to have the drain a bit lower down
Pull - Had to be an engine really didn't it! Don't know if it was possible but it would have been nice to see a few more of the carriages. Probably other stuff in the way though!
Art - I prefer the second option, where you can see the whole board. The first one might have worked if you cropped the house off all together

Phew, think I need to go and have a lie down now :D You did add to my confusion when some of them were in the wrong order :LOL:

Wow, that's some catch-up Georgina. Thanks for the comments :)
Of the lot, I think Annlee (synthetic) is my favourite. I'm gutted we've moved offices so that I'm no longer close to the Tate Modern. I used to love popping down their at lunch time occasionally.
Rural really is a small rural market town's station.
Derelict is the perimeter wall of La Circuit de la Sarthe (aka Le Mans). I guess the barbed wire is to keep people out. It really could do with some TLC.
Forked, no - not my car, Far too new.
That was one of her real arms in 'Refuse', though the oof part under the hand does look a bit odd.
Short - I should have closed the gap up between my fingers more I think, and maybe included the little finger.

They did get a bit out of order. I didn't think I was going to bother with Creature (I don't do bugs), but it did all get done eventually :)

Tim

Must of missed this one

Cooking - on electric, never as good as gas. quite a chaotic scene but works well for the theme.

Pete

Tim

Must of missed this one

Cooking - on electric, never as good as gas. quite a chaotic scene but works well for the theme.

Pete
Cheer Pete. Don't worry about missing shots, I was doing a bit of a catch-up.
Not sure if saw any cooking on flames at the market - Might be a H&S thing perhaps (or maybe I had my eyes closed).

Week 38 - Bizarre

I didn't get any shots at the Comic Con that I would call Bizarre (though I suspect certain Allans on here might think they all are ;) )
So I'm going with my banker shot from last Friday.
Another TZ8 shot taken on my commute.

No cheating and using Google Images this time Roger...

Where is this (needs to be more specific that 'That London'), what is it, and why does it make me think of Kittens...

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 38 : Bizarre
by Tim White, on Flickr

though I suspect certain Allans on here might think they all are

I represent that remark :mooning:

Where is this (needs to be more specific that 'That London'), what is it, and why does it make me think of Kittens...

Seven ages of man sculpture
located at the front courtyard of the Baynard House on Queen Victoria Street in the Blackfriars area of London. N 51° 30.712 W 000° 06.065
There is a line about an infant mewing but not a cat,
would it be because you are weird :thinking:

I don't live in London its a bit of a biased quiz to be fair,
I'm off to report you to the correct authorities :police:

Oh yeah I like it by the way nearly forgot that bit

Tim

What a bizarre concrete totem pole. It looks to be leaning over slightly to me.

Pete

Allan beat me to it damn...lol That is bizarre but I do like it, the BG actually helps enhance the image.
Not much I could do about the background really, in the center of London pretty much everything has buildings around it. I did manage to separate the statue by luminosity though I feel, ta.
Bizarre

It is a bizarre sculpture, but i kind of like it.
Cheers Dominic
Tim

What a bizarre concrete totem pole. It looks to be leaning over slightly to me.

Pete
Interesting, I don't see the angle myself. in which direction?
Is it bizarre or art but different and unusual for sure?

I took something similar in Seoul. Hope you don't mind.

Street Art by Stan, on Flickr
Of course I don't mind :)
One interesting / bizarre thing about the Seven Ages of Man is that it's actually 14, as each face is two faces split vertically. It's most apparent on the top one (which you can't tell from my image), with one half alive and the second half a skull.

Week 39 - Wild

You're getting a PABD from me this week, as I've come down with a cold and I'm not going out taking pictures...

This tender has been sitting in the headshunt at Ropley for as long as I can remember, and has been dragged back to the yard whilst some changes are made to the permanent way.
It's brought some of the wild plants with it.

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 39 - Wild
by Tim White, on Flickr

Interesting, I don't see the angle myself. in which direction?

Top appears over to the right (to me)

A nice tender photo :)

What a PABD?

Back