LC2's Many Many (More) Fine Shoehorns in 2018 : Week 52 - Showcase [2018 Complete]

Well you got a shot in and it's not too much of a shoe horn

Hi Tim, that is a really bizarrre statue at first glance, but when I read its name in Allan's post and looked again it is quite clever. Still bizarre though, especially in that setting, and a good one for the theme. Wild may be a PABD but it ticks the boxes for me, with the rusting panels of the old tender and the way nature is sprouting from the nooks and crannies and trying to take over. Another good spot for the theme and I hope you're feeling better.

I'm off to try and hunt down a steam engine now... :)

A nice tender photo :)

What a PABD?
Cheers Dave. I see Stan beat me to "Post and be Damned". Gotta get my railway count up a bit this year ;)
Nothing wrong with the shot, Tim. On theme and well spotted.
Just maybe a little uninspiring? I feel I got focus, texture, and even coped with the light being in the wrong direction, but I was feeling a bit grotty (which only got worse over the next few days).
Just about enough wild greenery to make it work I think
Ta. It was a illness inspired PABD...
Wild is a good shot imo even if it is a PABD, as the saying goes it`s well on theme and hope you get over the cold soon.
Ta, getting there.
Colds seem to be doing there rounds at the moment! PABD maybe, but it's on theme, here's to feeling better soon :beer:
Thanks.
Wild

I think it works for the theme nicely.
Ta.
Well you got a shot in and it's not too much of a shoe horn
I need to do more shoe-hornery.
Hi Tim, that is a really bizarrre statue at first glance, but when I read its name in Allan's post and looked again it is quite clever. Still bizarre though, especially in that setting, and a good one for the theme. Wild may be a PABD but it ticks the boxes for me, with the rusting panels of the old tender and the way nature is sprouting from the nooks and crannies and trying to take over. Another good spot for the theme and I hope you're feeling better.

I'm off to try and hunt down a steam engine now... :)
At street level, you can only see a couple of the heads, to get to it you have to go up a staircase (that you might think is private) into a raised courtyard. It's actually part of the 'highwalks' I think, though not linked to the others.
If 'wild' has inspired you to take more railway pictures, then my work here is done :)

Tim

That Tender has been out in the wild for sometime. I like the rust and details on the end, but find the reflection on the side a little obtrusive. Nice smilie face thou.

Hope you are feeling better.

Pete

Tim

That Tender has been out in the wild for sometime. I like the rust and details on the end, but find the reflection on the side a little obtrusive. Nice smilie face thou.

Hope you are feeling better.

Pete
I am now :) Cheers. The reflections... Well, the light was carp. But it's what I had to work with at the time :/
I love 'em so don't need many excuses :) I found a nice one; back in service from last month after a major boiler overhaul.
Yes I saw. Excelent :)

Week 40 - Autumn

Autumn hadn't really come to the part of London I get easy access too, indeed the trees are pretty much still green even today!
However, the mist this morning was autumnal, and losing the top of various city towers quite cool.
I've desaturated the shot a little to make it colder, as befits Autumn.

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 40 : Autumn
by Tim White, on Flickr

Interesting take on the theme, captures a grey autumn day nicely.

I really like that, its amazing how we all default to trees for autumn when this just sums it up so well :clap:

Autumn

That looks great, really like the tops of the buildings disappearing into the mist.

Autumn, A really different shot from the others we have seen for Autumn, rather like it and not spending much time in a city it is easy to forget that the change of seasons are not so obvious.

That`s a cracking shot for Autumn Tim, and good job on PP too as imo it just jumps out at the viewer.
Cheers Dave. I did think it came out quite well.
Interesting take on the theme, captures a grey autumn day nicely.
My walk to work Chris!
I really like that, its amazing how we all default to trees for autumn when this just sums it up so well :clap:
My immediate thought was trees for the theme too, in fact, I was waiting for the leaves to start turning and had it planned.
Then we had the mist / low cloud and this presented itself. It was then just a case of finding a good vantage.
Not an autumn scene I'm familiar with as I don't live in a big city but your wonderful image just projects the feel of autumn and coldness. I like it a lot :clap:
Thanks Stan. It might make a good winter shot too, if we get snow.
Autumn

That looks great, really like the tops of the buildings disappearing into the mist.
From this shot you don't realise the centre tower is still being built, the top is incomplete and surrounded by cranes. There are also cranes by the Nat West Tower which have disappeared from view.
Autumn, A really different shot from the others we have seen for Autumn, rather like it and not spending much time in a city it is easy to forget that the change of seasons are not so obvious.
And yet you do see the change, just differently. If you people watch, you see the seasonal clothing change and it's obvious what time of year it is. (Mind you, I'm still in just a T-Shirt).
Lovely take on the theme, Tim; different from the norm but absolutely conveys the feel of the season with the grey misty sky and the PP to cool everything down. Very effective :clap:
Thanks Andrea. I did think it worked nicely.

it's interesting what you notice when you take pictures like this. I had not noticed that the building on the left really does lean outwards as it rises. (I double checked!). The mist has hidden a lot of clutter on the skyline and makes the towers seem lower than they actually are.
One other thing I think helps make the shot is the cyclist in the foreground. It gives the shot some action/movement.

Week 41 - Hollow

With the front of the smokebox cut away the hollow interior of the smokebox is exposed.
This is the loco that I've spent some hours scraping rust off of and applying paint.
It still has a *very* long way to go yet...

This is one of the "Barry 10" - The last ten locos left in Dai's yard, thought beyond rescue and destined for the cutters torch. It now has a future.

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 41 : Hollow - British Railways Standard 4 Tank - 80150
by Tim White, on Flickr

Not like you to put a picture of a train in, can't deny its hollow though. I bet that was a really dirty job how long does it take to do a restore job?

Not like you to put a picture of a train in, can't deny its hollow though. I bet that was a really dirty job how long does it take to do a restore job?
This one is really more conservation than restoration, though the front of the cab is new (in the last week) and we're getting a cab roof made shortly.
Yes, it's dirty, hard work, but what we're doing is the easy bit really. (As in we're cleaning, painting, and generally tidying up - although you still have to be careful - We're not working on the boiler or other safety critical parts (yet).
This is what we started with (not my shot):
https://www.watercressline.co.uk/shopimages/articles/extra/80150.jpg

How long does it take? How long is a piece of string... The Flying Moneypit took Ian Riley 3 years, and that was fully funded with all the parts.
We've got to re-make most of the parts for 80150, and fund raise to do it. If we get any change out of 20 years, I would be surpised.

This one is really more conservation than restoration, though the front of the cab is new (in the last week) and we're getting a cab roof made shortly.
Yes, it's dirty, hard work, but what we're doing is the easy bit really. (As in we're cleaning, painting, and generally tidying up - although you still have to be careful - We're not working on the boiler or other safety critical parts (yet).
This is what we started with (not my shot):
https://www.watercressline.co.uk/shopimages/articles/extra/80150.jpg

How long does it take? How long is a piece of string... The Flying Moneypit took Ian Riley 3 years, and that was fully funded with all the parts.
We've got to re-make most of the parts for 80150, and fund raise to do it. If we get any change out of 20 years, I would be surpised.
It’s certainly come a long way already judging by the other pic as for making the parts I work on an estate full of listed buildings and nothing’s cheap I can’t begin to think how much that will cost :wideyed:

It’s certainly come a long way already judging by the other pic as for making the parts I work on an estate full of listed buildings and nothing’s cheap I can’t begin to think how much that will cost :wideyed:
The sheet steel for the roof is about 4 grand rolled (cutting / drilling etc. will be done in-house which brings the costs down). I doubt there will be any change from 7 figures (in today's costs, let alone when you add inflation).

This is what it should look like when finished:

British Railways Standard 4 Tank - 80078
by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
A very unusual sight to see. Image-wise could it be better? not sure, any closer you lost the context of the engine subject.
Until Richard shunts it somewhere better, no I don't think you can get a better angle (I did try). Unless you climb into the smokebox itslef, and I wasn't going to do that.

Tim

Autumn, a very cool feel to that shot with the mist hanging there. Very different to what we non city people see.

Hollow, back to normal service, well it will be in years to come. Well done on your hard work keeping the herritage alive. It looks better on flickr as the contrast has not been compressed.

Pete

That's an unusual subject for the theme (well, not the engine, that's not unusual for you!) but the view of the hollow inside of the smokebox. Great choice, and really interesting to read about the project and its potential costs and timescale. It runs in my blood because my Dad had a massive interest in steam, and he would have loved this sort of thing.

Good to see the 'before' image so we can see the progress that has already been made, and I agree with @seaodyssey Pete that your image looks better on Flickr for some reason so I would recommend clicking through (y)

Good one for hollow - I do like a Standard 4 :) Hope she gets back to running order!

Interesting to see the loco like that and it stands out well against the background, well captured.

Hollow

The red oxide paint really helps to show the hollow interior.

Tim

Autumn, a very cool feel to that shot with the mist hanging there. Very different to what we non city people see.

Hollow, back to normal service, well it will be in years to come. Well done on your hard work keeping the herritage alive. It looks better on flickr as the contrast has not been compressed.
It was nice to have the mist for the Autimn shot. That street (Queen Victoria St) gets the low sun shining along it quite a bit, which is nasty to walk into.
You didn't think I could keep the locos away for too long did you? ;)
That's an unusual subject for the theme (well, not the engine, that's not unusual for you!) but the view of the hollow inside of the smokebox. Great choice, and really interesting to read about the project and its potential costs and timescale. It runs in my blood because my Dad had a massive interest in steam, and he would have loved this sort of thing.

Good to see the 'before' image so we can see the progress that has already been made, and I agree with @seaodyssey Pete that your image looks better on Flickr for some reason so I would recommend clicking through (y)
Cheers Andrea. Being able to get to the non public parts of the line does have the advantage that I can get some more unusual shots. (Though 80150 is currently placed so the public can see it, helping us raise money).
My Dad was in heavy engineering, but whilst he enjoys riding on trains, restoration wasn't ever his thing.
Good one for hollow - I do like a Standard 4 :) Hope she gets back to running order!
Me too. She will :) We're working on getting the design for the replacement cab roof right at the moment, before splashing out on the sheet metal to make it.
Interesting to see the loco like that and it stands out well against the background, well captured.
Not so sure about the green reflections on the tank. It must be from a nearby coach.
Hollow

The red oxide paint really helps to show the hollow interior.
Yes, it wouldn't have worked if it had been painted black, would it.

Works for the theme and nicely lit with the shadow providing a bit of separation from the background

Model
Nice pose, light and background. I think i would have spot healed the white spots on the background and floor.

Wot no model train? :wideyed: You're right, I was expecting one!

This is an unusual subject and stands out well against the dark background. I agree that I would probably have healed the white spots just to give a more complete black, but the diffused flash has given a natural-looking light and I bet your model was delighted with this (y)

Works for the theme and nicely lit with the shadow providing a bit of separation from the background
Ta Chris
Works well for the theme Tim, lighting has worked well.
It wasn't the worst light I've had to shoot in, but very glad I had the flash.
Model
Nice pose, light and background. I think i would have spot healed the white spots on the background and floor.
I was leaving it 'real' ;) I do apprecaite what you mean though.
Model on theme and a nice shot.
Ta Dave. Not quite up with your vocalist shots I feel.
Wot no model train? :wideyed: You're right, I was expecting one!

This is an unusual subject and stands out well against the dark background. I agree that I would probably have healed the white spots just to give a more complete black, but the diffused flash has given a natural-looking light and I bet your model was delighted with this (y)
I'm not sure I got any feedback from this one. Whilst it was at MCM London and they were given my card, not everyone looks to see what was taken (certainly at the big conventions).

Back