weekly Lorraine's 52 in 2015 - Week 24 Spiral Added

The second Crowd picture is the better of the two since in the first shot the models dark trousers are lost in the dark rocks and I find the picture overall a little uninteresting as everything in it seems just too far away to get ones teeth in to. The second shot is brighter and the scenery is better; I think it shows the 'far from' thing better.

#1 looks like it needs straightening, #2 is the better picture for me, the surrounding area looks more pleasing, though I wonder if it would be better if the person had stood to the left a little.

Great idea and a couple of really nice pictures. But as said already above a couple of minor tweaks to both would have made them even better.

Martin's words here are exactly what I was thinking of saying. #2 is much better with a strong leading curve from the left and some nice detail in the rocks. Your model might have benefited from a different pose (maybe sat down) as he looks a little uncomfortable and cold. You could probably lose a bit of that drab sky across the top with a letterbox (16x9) crop. But they are minor points I think. Definitely "far away" comes across here.

A nice play on words there Lorraine :)
A bit of a shoe horn, but it works none the less (y)

Although I'm going against the "crowd", ( :D ) I prefer #1 the way he seems to disappear into the background, makes more of a statement to me ;)

'far from the madding crowd' ... cool idea Lorraine.

I agree with the above: #2 (y)

Hi, number 1 for me maybe a little wider view an him looking out to sea would be a slight improvement, as said above nice play on words

Thanks to all of you for looking and commenting. After all of that I'm still torn between #1 and #2, though I'm maybe swaying a bit to #2. I do agree about the horizon in #1 - I must remember to check these things before posting! :banghead:

I'll have a play with the first one and see what I can do with it. :)

well, I've had a little tweak with the first image - I think I've fixed the horizon and I lightened the shadows up a bit. I've also cropped a fair bit off the sky, but I'm thinking that this might not work so well as it seems to lose some of the emptiness I was trying to suggest...

View attachment 32959

Hi Lorraine

Mouth.....think I prefer the edit...my god those gargoyles had a beating with the ugly stick :eek:

Crowd...lovely take on the theme , my preference would be the 2nd image , not sure why though, just seems more distant from everyone & ever(y)ything

Hi Lorraine

Mouth.....think I prefer the edit...my god those gargoyles had a beating with the ugly stick :eek:

Crowd...lovely take on the theme , my preference would be the 2nd image , not sure why though, just seems more distant from everyone & ever(y)ything

Thanks Lynne - I do like a good gargoyle! #2 seems to be the one most people like best for crowd, I'm tending to agree the more I look at them. :)

Crowd - I can only really echo what others have said.

Thanks for stopping by & commenting Mandy :)

Week 12 - Close Up.

Well, at least this theme has meant my trusty crowbar got a rest for once and I could get my macro lens out to play :) So I went out for a drive about thinking I'd get some shots of spring flowers or new shots on the trees, but there was a fairly stiff breeze so that was that idea out. My first shot was a rusty nut on a railway bridge, which I'm guessing isn't many people's cup of tea, the second is one of the flowers I got for Mother's Day, I thought of making this the first one, but a week down the line it's looking a bit the worse for wear - even after a sizeable crop.....

View attachment 33317

View attachment 33318

Thanks for looking, any C&C welcome

Hi Lorraine ...I rather like your rusty nut :) lots of lovely crumbly detail, it's hard to find a focal point on something like that as its all vying for attention but you've done well with it.
Really nice macro of your rose, I think I would have been tempted to crop it even more, and do a tiny bit of cloning, but we all grow old and it is doing it very gracefully :)

The rusty nut for me too Lorraine (y)

Another vote here too for your rusty nut :)

(The rose is very pretty though)

Hi Lorraine ...I rather like your rusty nut :) lots of lovely crumbly detail, it's hard to find a focal point on something like that as its all vying for attention but you've done well with it.
Really nice macro of your rose, I think I would have been tempted to crop it even more, and do a tiny bit of cloning, but we all grow old and it is doing it very gracefully :)

Thanks Susie, I did start off trying to clone some of the bits that ere on the turn, but I'm afraid my skills weren't up to the job - maybe a project for a rainy afternoon :)

Nice twist on the crowd theme Lorraine... I'm liking the second image myself, I like the gap in the dunes and the view :)

Close Up - It's the Nut for me, love the detail and muted colours (y)

The rusty nut for me too Lorraine (y)

Hi, rusty nut for me, some nice detail in there (y)

Another vote here too for your rusty nut :)

(The rose is very pretty though)

Number 1 for me Lorraine, nice image.

Phil

Rusty nut for me too Lorraine, great detail in there and at least it wasn't going to blow about in the wind ;) (y)

Oooh , I seem to have chosen the right image for the main thread - thank you all for stopping by & commenting. I'm glad you all liked it :)

I'm nuts too, great image with nice sense of of leaving questions unanswered.

Love the rusty nut image. Had to look at it twice to tell what it was, but the detail in it is great.

Week 13 - Reshoot

I've been waiting for the reshoot week to coe up because I was really unhappy with the images I'd posted for elegant and bold. I still don't have any ideas for bold, but this is what I'd originally wanted to do for elegant - a dry martini - I just lacked a few of the props (well, all of them to be exact) and I didn't really have time to go on a mission round the shops. So, I've spent quite a few hours today trying this, and of the shots I've taken, this is my favourite and the one that comes closest to the idea I had in mind - I know it's not perfect - I've just noticed a reflection of the curtains that shouldn't be there , and yes @Dark Knight, a speedlight is definitely going on the shopping list :)

View attachment 33805

thanks for looking

Last edited:
Maybe a tad more sharpen on the olives, Lorraine?

Nice re-shoot though (y)

Thanks Cobra - I was focussing on the rim of the glass when I sharpened the image .... I never even thought about the olive :)

Hi Lorraine.
Well you have captured elegance with your reshoot, however I agree with previous opinions regarding the sharpness. :)

I can see what you're trying, but I'm with @Cobra here, to me it appears that the base of the glass is in focus and I think it should really be the olives on the stick. But what do I know eh? :)

Nice shot Lorraine and very elegant - now if only you had 007 holding it! :)

Damn - does that mean I need yet another reshoot? ;)

Hi Lorraine.
Well you have captured elegance with your reshoot, however I agree with previous opinions regarding the sharpness. :)

Thanks Ruth :)

I do agree with everyone's comments about sharpness - this is another one from yesterday. The olives look sharper to me, but I'm not so keen on the
reflections...

View attachment 33872

I had the camera on a tripod, but I was using the timer as I don't have a remote. I'm wondering if pressing the shutter release has slightly knocked it out of focus?

Last edited:
........ and yes @Dark Knight, a speedlight is definitely going on the shopping list :)
I promise you will not regret it, lighting IS the answer :D

Re-Shoot - Much preferring the edit, I'd like to see more of the glass reflection if possible or cropped at the reflected stem, still it's well lit and liking the angle and additional olives on the surface :)

This sort of shot is a bugger to get right ... or that's what I find.

Not sure what to think ... a lot of reflection. o_O

Hi Lorraine,

Close Up - Second pic for me, I think I might have cropped a little more but that's just me.
Re-shoot - Edit is much better, I didn't really notice the sharpness at first glance, my only comment was the bottom of the rim kind of merges with the water. I cant really say its crit as I'm not sure whether its a bad thing or not, but it was the first thing i was drawn to.

I promise you will not regret it, lighting IS the answer :D

Re-Shoot - Much preferring the edit, I'd like to see more of the glass reflection if possible or cropped at the reflected stem, still it's well lit and liking the angle and additional olives on the surface :)

Thanks Dark Knight - these were both taken in natural light - if I escape next weekend without spending too much money I'll invest in a speedlight and I'll let you know how it goes :)

This sort of shot is a bugger to get right ... or that's what I find.

Not sure what to think ... a lot of reflection. o_O

Thanks David - yes, it was tricky. I was trying to get th reflections right - my curtains were closed most of the day - I like the reflections on the first sht better, but the edit was sharper

Hi Lorraine,

Close Up - Second pic for me, I think I might have cropped a little more but that's just me.
Re-shoot - Edit is much better, I didn't really notice the sharpness at first glance, my only comment was the bottom of the rim kind of merges with the water. I cant really say its crit as I'm not sure whether its a bad thing or not, but it was the first thing i was drawn to.

Hi Paul, and thanks. You're right about the rim of the glass in the first shot - I hadn't noticed before - it just sort of vanishes doesn't it?

HI Lorraine

Going against the majority here.....close up for me is the Rose , a bit tatty round the edges but it still appeals, lovely soft color (y)

Elegant...liking the idea a lot..very James Bond :) Agree with others re the focus though .Shame we can't see the exif data as that might help in giving advice on how to get the shot just as you want it......can you share the shooting info ?

HI Lorraine

Going against the majority here.....close up for me is the Rose , a bit tatty round the edges but it still appeals, lovely soft color (y)

Elegant...liking the idea a lot..very James Bond :) Agree with others re the focus though .Shame we can't see the exif data as that might help in giving advice on how to get the shot just as you want it......can you share the shooting info ?

Hi Lynne,

thanks for commenting.

aww, my poor old rose got a vote, it was the worse for wear mind :)

Elegant - ooh a technical question....I don't have a problem sharing the exif (I thought it showed up automatically). It was shot using my 18 - 105mm kit lens at 42mm, 3 seconds at f/11, ISO 125 - I hope that's what you meant? I'd used manual focus - which might explain why it's slightly off, or my other guess is that I've maybe just shifted the camera when I pressed the shutter release? :oops: :$

Hmmm...I suspect your guess at moving slightly may be correct , f11 & ISO look ok for that type of shot.......3 sec's if handheld could also be the problem....do you have a tripod ? If not then put the camera on a solid surface or bean bag & use the built in timer delay to let it settle .....

Hmmm...I suspect your guess at moving slightly may be correct , f11 & ISO look ok for that type of shot.......3 sec's if handheld could also be the problem....do you have a tripod ? If not then put the camera on a solid surface or bean bag & use the built in timer delay to let it settle .....

Hi Lynne, the camera was on a tripod and I was using the timer, so it should have been ok, unless it moved slightly when I pressed the release, or my focus was off to start with...so that's two things on my shopping list now, a speedlight and a cable release....and I thought I was done buying :D

Back