Love at first sight...

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Mrs A and I are celebrating 25 years of marriage this year....so it has got me thinking...when did you know your other half was the one for you....

Here's my story...

I walked into a well known fashion retailers with my cousin on a fine Saturday afternoon, as I walked around the floor, I suddenly seen my missus stocking the rails. I turned to my cousin and said "I will marry that girl someday."...he laughed and told me I had more chance of getting into heaven....two years later, she walked down the aisle....

25 years for us this year also Mike. We were introduced by my best mate at the time, her boyfriend! :D

29 years this year. Though we have been together for 38 years.
I first met her in Nicky Tams in Victoria Street, Edinburgh, when she was 15 and I was 16 :D - it was a bit easier to get into pubs in 1973!
She was leaning over a piano and I thought that looks very nice...
She was going out with a guy called Paul and I was going out with a girl called Heather. Paul and Heather married and have since divorced.

I would love to be able to quote my own marriage but I'm afraid that was a disaster, instead I will put forward my parents, they met when they where 15 at the local united reformed church youth club and it was love at first sight, my father said that before he had even walked mum home he was head over heels in love with her.
They've now been together for 64 years and married for 58 years, neither ever dated anyone else and they're still as in love as ever.

Wow, some great stories here. We're celebrating 25 years this year, but I can't contribute to the love-at-first-sight theme; on the contrary Iris thought I was a bit of a prat the first time we met (at work). She probably still does, to be honest.

But on a slightly different theme, I'm perversely proud of the fact that I asked her to marry me without knowing what the answer would be. (We had never even spoken of it.) I don't know anyone else who has done the same thing.

She was the girl next door, I was 17 and she was 15, it would probably be considered grooming these days. 41 years later and we're still together, I was lucky to meet her, no-one else would have put up with me for so long.

Been together for 30 years this June and married for 9 next month. Definitely lust at first sight (on my part, at least!) which soon turned to love.

Been married to the same girl for 53 years in October, but have been together for 56 years in June. My mates and I would meet in our local pub on a Saturday lunch time and decide what we would do that evening, usually it would be go to the dog track. On that particular day in June 1960, I said I didn't want to go to the dogs that evening, but fancied going to the dance at the town-hall, they went to the dogs and I went to the dance where I met my wife and we have been together ever since.

A mere 44 years.

Apparently, my main qualification is that I can open jars without having to push a pin into the lid. :wideyed:

Celebrating twenty years with my partner this year, we met at a party at uni through a mutual friend. Not being the type to rush into things we're getting married the week after next!

We'll have been married 35 years in October this year.

Apparently we first met at a friends Christmas party when I was 17 and she 16, but I didn't notice her as I was busy playing statues with someone else that evening. :naughty: A couple of months later we met again at a coffee bar that my church youth group was running, although the other girls tried to keep her away from me as I'd not been especially nice in the past, and while it wasn't exactly love at first sight we started going out pretty much immediately and after a few weeks I think I knew we'd marry. So I broke it off with her. Went out on and off for the next year or so, and she had another boyfriend in that time, before we got back together again properly and finally, marrying about 18 months later when I was 20 and she 18 - never looked back.

Last edited:
She was the girl next door, I was 17 and she was 15, it would probably be considered grooming these days. 41 years later and we're still together, I was lucky to meet her, no-one else would have put up with me for so long.

Same ages as my wife and I when we first started going out in 1961. Married in 1965 - 51 years this year :)

Last edited:
Mrs A and I are celebrating 25 years of marriage this year....so it has got me thinking...when did you know your other half was the one for you....

Here's my story...

I walked into a well known fashion retailers with my cousin on a fine Saturday afternoon, as I walked around the floor, I suddenly seen my missus stocking the rails. I turned to my cousin and said "I will marry that girl someday."...he laughed and told me I had more chance of getting into heaven....two years later, she walked down the aisle....

I couldn't quite say love at first sight, but you know when you know. Mine was dancing in a cage in a nightclub in her hot pants :) I recognised her from work, so queue my mates disbelief when I was chatting to her not long there after. Turned out she was too shy at work to come up (on) to me due to significant difference in hierarchy. Anyway shortly after I was in New Orleans for a conference, followed by a holiday with a friend in Daytona beach. Both party towns and I was just not interested, it was then that I knew. Similar for her as she went with her friends to Mexico and had a similar experience.

I was so Pi$$ed when I proposed I had to get up on one knee!

Partners leaving due, shortly after I was back in the country in the Ye Olde Cheddar Cheese on Fleet Street...I could barely walk I think and invite my now wife to a Partner leaving party; and I think I proposed at some point to her following which the party really kicked off....Luckily I had my southbank flat still, and I had to ask her whether I proposed in the morning :) I did it properly there after by asking her father, browny points still valid today (y), and embarrassed her suitably by going on my knee in a restaurant in Amsterdam after shopping for her ring. Do still think she like the attention of nearly every lady in the room coming up to take a look...

Compared to some on here we are youngsters, but hey in this day and ages approximately 16 years is pretty good going...

Not being the type to rush into things we're getting married the week after next!

My moneyboss & I have been living together for 33 years! (we are engaged though :D ) As you say, no point rushing & making rash decisions. :)

Some lovely stories in this thread! I did get married 17 or 18 years ago but with unease. I was told by everybody it was just nerves, and I felt a lot of pressure to go ahead with it. There was no sense of belonging, or of things being 'right'. Again, friends told me that was normal and all part of the compromises of being with someone. I totally agree with those who have advised taking as much time as possible to decide - as for marriage, it has definite benefits for many, but it isn't right for everyone. I will however add that the person I married is now one of my best friends, and has been my landlord for quite some time.

As a follow up to my earlier post, my partner and I married this morning..

:)

:plus1:

We were 15 when we first met . Our mothers were at Uni together.

After he finished Uni and I finished my training we married in 1964 and had 44 years together - then Leukaemia entered the equation :(

Alastair - if you and the new Mrs Alastair are as happy as we were - enjoy it - it's a wonderful life

More congratulations from me :)

Congrats to @Alastair as well as those who've made it to 20+ years

We've just had our first anniversary. Party next weekend because we were off in Bali on our anniversary date. We met about three years ago, introduced by a family friend. Of the girls I'd met, she was the most down-to-earth, sweet, humble girl. Even after we had met, my mind kept going back to her. We met up and went out a few times but it wasn't until we met up to go to the German markets in Birmingham when we held hands and, I don't know, it just felt right. That was the day I knew for sure this was the girl I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

Congrats to @Alastair as well as those who've made it to 20+ years

We've just had our first anniversary. Party next weekend because we were off in Bali on our anniversary date. We met about three years ago, introduced by a family friend. Of the girls I'd met, she was the most down-to-earth, sweet, humble girl. Even after we had met, my mind kept going back to her. We met up and went out a few times but it wasn't until we met up to go to the German markets in Birmingham when we held hands and, I don't know, it just felt right. That was the day I knew for sure this was the girl I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

Aww.
You big softy :)

We got married 11 weeks after we met. Two witnesses, no guests, and the wedding breakfast consisted of a couple of jam donuts washed down with red wine in plastic cups, sat on the wall outside the register office. My bride wore one of my shirts, a pair of jeans and a pair of plimsolls, and I wore my usual denim shirt and jeans.

But it was 35 years ago ... :cool:

Met my wife when I was a student working in a shop on Saturdays. She was studying Beauty and Modelling at LCF. She was very tall and slim. I remember telling my mate, who I worked with in the shop, I was going to marry her. He scoffed and asked why and made a comment about her appearance. I replied "She's a model", he said " who for, Bryant and F@@@ing May?" This is a true story, and when I said it we weren't even going out.

We've been married 35 years in September.

Second marriage is lasting longer than the first, but being a bloke i can't tell you how long that is. I would have to ask the boss and that's just too dangerous. It's one of those things you have to do subtly in conversation. Just slip in with something like "do you remember all those years ago when we got married", and then hope she gives you either a date or a figure in years ;):)

24 years this September for us. I think it was pretty much love at first sight - possibly lust at first sight:oops: :$

Back