Magpiedom's TP 52 for 2017 - Weeks 8-13

Name
Dom
Edit My Images
Yes
For my theme to work I need it to rain....... from that, are you able to guess the song?

Hopefully be able to upload in the next day or so :)

Well...considering that I'm stuck in the car during a massive downpour on new years day..looks like I have all the rain YOU asked for :( lol..

Was up last night trying to get a shot of the rain and realised photographing the rain itself is hard! Venturing out later, fingers crossed

Thanks for visiting my first ever project 52 thread. My main aims are to improve my composition, consistency and to have some fun. It's also nice to be part of an interactive community, so thanks in advance for any feedback which I really value.

Week 0 - Song Title, -Purple Rain- by Prince (1 of 1)
by Magpie Dom, on Flickr - (well done CliveNX for guessing)

This week I learned that there isn't an abundance of purple in Walsall at this time of year, and that it would have been handy to have invested a weatherproof camera.

Last edited:
Good photo, very sharp and good use of shallow DoF.

There are a lot of inexpensive options for waterproofing your camera :)

Cheers bud, i'm glad you like it. If I could do it again I'd probably refine the depth of field a little so you could see more of the stalk in focus and possibly more of the background too.

I've also linkied to the photos only thread. Thanks for pointing that one out, being a noob I totally missed the memo :)

Cheers bud, i'm glad you like it. If I could do it again I'd probably refine the depth of field a little so you could see more of the stalk in focus and possibly more of the background too.

I've also linkied to the photos only thread. Thanks for pointing that one out, being a noob I totally missed the memo :)
No problem Dom, we have all been there, happy to help :)

Great colours. I do like well executed shallow DoF shots and that is pretty well executed.
A good example of how you don't need the fastest glass in the world to blow out the background.
Thanks! I do have a 35mm f1.8 but that flower was so small and not far off the ground I struggled to get close enough, and the right angle, so was happy with the end result of the 200mm zoom. I was worried the composition was a bit boring/unoriginal so amped the colours up in lightroom to compensate. The edges are a bit chromatically abrased (is that the right terminology?!) but I am hoping to improve my editing as I go through the year [emoji2]

Purple Rain, belting song.

Watch out for bits poking in around the edges, white balance is a little off.

But nice shallow depth of field and decent detail in the flower.

Cheers.

Purple Rain, belting song.

Watch out for bits poking in around the edges, white balance is a little off.

But nice shallow depth of field and decent detail in the flower.

Cheers.
I love that song too. Gutted Prince succumbed to the curse of 2016. Good advice, thanks! I'm still learning about white balance, need to so more research around this area and practice.

Hi Dom. You did well with the DoF - the flower stands out so well as a result. Like the rain droplets ... gives extra interest.

Sorry I'm a day late!

This week, I had the privilege to travel to Tel Aviv in Israel. I took this photo on my last day there, during a guided tour, with some colleagues, of beautiful Jaffa. I took a few different shots of what I felt represented "order", but I liked this one the best:

Week 1 - Order - Jaffa Tel Aviv IL
by Magpie Dom, on Flickr

Please tell me what you like and/or don't like about this photo, and if anything, how it makes you feel.

Thanks!

Dom

As the others have said fantastic colours and texture - rust and flaking paintwork make such great subjects! The only slight niggle for me is the metal with the circular pattern peeking out on the right which keeps pulling my eye.

Nice muted colours and lots of texture. It just seems a little weird to me having the focus on the far right edge I might have been tempted to cheat and flip it.

Yes nice colour/texture & stuff to work with. I too would flip it and straighten it (assuming most of those uprights are supposed to be upright). I might then crop it, zooming into detail and also I think a letterbox crop would work well.

I agree with the other comments, there are some nice textures and colours in the shot.
It's interesting that you have the focal point right on the RHS of the shot, was it manually focused (or do 5300s have focus points right on the edge of the sensor?)
My only crit would be that it feels like the verticals aren't vertical (the rusty ones, not the blue ones), however this is really minor (as I tried a slight rotate to fix it and to my eye it doesn't improve it).

Great texture and great vibrant colours.

I agree with the other comments, there are some nice textures and colours in the shot.
It's interesting that you have the focal point right on the RHS of the shot, was it manually focused (or do 5300s have focus points right on the edge of the sensor?)
My only crit would be that it feels like the verticals aren't vertical (the rusty ones, not the blue ones), however this is really minor (as I tried a slight rotate to fix it and to my eye it doesn't improve it).
Hi Tim @LC2 I have a D5300 and if I was taking that I'd use what is my default setting:-
Focus Mode = AF-S,
AF Area Mode = Single Point.
Single Point fixed in centre of sensor on your chosen focal point hold shutter button halfway down, move camera to frame image.

Last edited:
Hope you had a good time in Tel Aviv.

I like the textures and colours in the shot. Interested to know what it is, I assume it's some kind of fence but from the little we can see on the right it seems to be some sort of circular pattern to it.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments.

I found this photo hard because I was with a group of people and we were constantly moving. So I had maybe 60 seconds or so to see, frame and take the shot. I also found it really hard to get low enough to the ground (didn't have a triopd, and I'd just eaten a rediculous lunch. The image stood out to me because of the contrasting rusty/metal colours.

@SteveSc - It's a railing the other side of which is the Mediterranean Sea - so nothing too exciting. Those circular patterns are just a perforated metal sheet, bolted onto to the outer layer of the railing. And Tel Aviv was surprisingly nice, I felt very safe considering all you see and hear about in the news.

Last edited:
Ok guys, here's Week 2. I've been quite ill this week so kind of rushed this photo. I didn't have much time to think of anything and my little girl is starting to comfort her dolls so I bribed her with some tablet time and got her to pose this for me. Personally, I don't like how the hand dominates the image, but on the other hand I think it gives the desired impression she is concerned and comforting her upset dolly. Also maybe the image is a bit dark, I could only take a few shots with the flash before she got bored and started demanding "Tablet! Tablet!"

Anyway, comments as usual, are much appreciated :)

Week 2 - Comfort
by Magpie Dom, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back