weekly Mandy's first 52 challenge 2014 week 52 added and all finished now

Play - the editted brighter version is better. The shadow gives the console an imposing stance almost dominating over the viewer.

Hi Mandy, you're off to a good start! Just catching up with your themes so far:

Odd - great idea, and I like the way you used light and dark coloured buttons as well as the different sizes. As a few have said before me, it looks a little bit dark but the large one does clearly stand out as the 'odd' one and it's an original interpretation.
Line - bang on theme with two different and very clear lines in the frame. This one definitely suits black and white, and your second version in vertical format is a very strong image.
Play - I like your idea. The first looked a little dark at the top so I prefer the second one, but they're both strong images.

Hi Mandy. I can't choose between the two, I like the dark moody first shot but also the greater detail in the second!

Just a thought, maybe it would be a good idea to put your user name in the thread title as well!

Hi Mandy, you're off to a good start! Just catching up with your themes so far:

Odd - great idea, and I like the way you used light and dark coloured buttons as well as the different sizes. As a few have said before me, it looks a little bit dark but the large one does clearly stand out as the 'odd' one and it's an original interpretation.
Line - bang on theme with two different and very clear lines in the frame. This one definitely suits black and white, and your second version in vertical format is a very strong image.
Play - I like your idea. The first looked a little dark at the top so I prefer the second one, but they're both strong images.

Thanks for the comments much appreciated.

I like the direct lighting, seems to add a nice bit contrast (though that might be the editing)

I think I preferred your first edit, although it needed lightning at the top. The second edit is a bit to bright for me, sorry!

Good idea, an Xbox will always get my vote! ;)

Well here we are into week 3 off the challenge theme CLOSE, this theme got me excited as i get to share with you a Close up off one off my model motorbikes which is something i am very passionate about, As always your comments and crit are most welcome.

CLOSE UP of one off my model motorbikes ( my favourite one ) for my take on the theme close.

Close
by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Wow, that was quick.

The colours really pop and the detail is great. The lighting looks well controlled with minimal hot areas. I'm glad you left the stand in there as it gives it scale. The detail on the bike is fantastic.

Crit, well I'm on iPad but the lighting on the BG looks a tad uneven, possibly ident creases.

I'll look again later on laptop.

Cheers.

Wow, that was quick.

The colours really pop and the detail is great. The lighting looks well controlled with minimal hot areas. I'm glad you left the stand in there as it gives it scale. The detail on the bike is fantastic.

Crit, well I'm on iPad but the lighting on the BG looks a tad uneven, possibly ident creases.

I'll look again later on laptop.

Cheers.

Thanks for the comments the only lighting used was my flashgun as I don't have lights yet that I can use to light up my light tent.

Normally I do iron the background inserts for my light tent, but I forgot to do it last night. As for the stand it has to stay purely because it's my fave model, and I didn't really want to risk scratching it trying to prop it up with anything else.

I like the colours and the lighting on this.
I haven't even thought about the theme yet :thinking:

stunning detail on the model. having been a biker i really like this. really does "POP" at you:clap:

Very nice Mandy...it certainly catches the eye, those backgrounds do get creased don't they....very annoying if you notice it just as you are about to take a picture...or after :eek:

I like the colours and the lighting on this.
I haven't even thought about the theme yet :thinking:

stunning detail on the model. having been a biker i really like this. really does "POP" at you:clap:

Thanks for the comments really means a lot to me.

Hi Mandy, as above really nice sharp pic, BG doesn't distract and nicely lit (y)

Sorry if I repeat anything anyone else has said.

On Play, I like the composition and I'm a bit of an gamer so...
For me the background doesn't work the difference between the floor and the wall, I like the idea of the way you have lit this and the way it draws you eye to the controller, but to me I think the lighting is a bit harsh

Not sure what flash you used? I am finding myself thinking more and more about lighting now and need to get myself a speedlight because my popup flash is doing me no favours!

If anyone wants to send me an xbox friend invite btw you should be able to find me easy enough ;)

Close...love the clarity and the reds. I didn't realise it was a model at first glance :)

Last edited:
Sorry if I repeat anything anyone else has said.

I like the composition and I'm a bit of an gamer so...
For me the background doesn't work the difference between the floor and the wall, I like the idea of the way you have lit this and the way it draws you eye to the controller, but to me I think the lighting is a bit harsh

Not sure what flash you used? I am finding myself thinking more and more about lighting now and need to get myself a speedlight because my popup flash is doing me no favours!

Thanks for the comments but the Xbox was not on the floor it's my tv unit I just moved it a little bit so I'd have a clear shot rather than have my tv and everything else in view.

The flashgun I have is a youngnuo 560iii as I couldn't afford a proper canon flashgun at the moment. For the money it cost me it's a good little flashgun and does the job for me at the moment.

Hi Mandy,

First off, I've got to say I love your enthusiasm and the fact that you're attempting a 365 at the same time as this.

Lines - I prefer the composition of the 2nd edit. B&W works well here.
Play - The lighting has been mentioned already; it's a little uneven. It's certainly on theme, but I'm not sure about the subject matter (sorry!) -- it's really hard to make something like this exciting.
Close - Bright and colourful. It doesn't shout "close" to me - for that I would have expected a close-up of the details on the bike - but I think this may just be a personal preference.

Hi Mandy,

First off, I've got to say I love your enthusiasm and the fact that you're attempting a 365 at the same time as this.

Lines - I prefer the composition of the 2nd edit. B&W works well here.
Play - The lighting has been mentioned already; it's a little uneven. It's certainly on theme, but I'm not sure about the subject matter (sorry!) -- it's really hard to make something like this exciting.
Close - Bright and colourful. It doesn't shout "close" to me - for that I would have expected a close-up of the details on the bike - but I think this may just be a personal preference.

Thanks for your comments I think it's as close as your going to get with the 18-55 lens used, and I wanted to show the whole bike not just part off it. Saying that I did take a shot with the raynox 150, but it didn't look right to me so I went with this image instead.

It's a good picture of the bike, my only comment is that it doesn't look like a close up but actually a picture of a full-sized bike.

Hi Mandy, I had no idea this was a model until I read the comments although I thought you must have an impressive studio to be able to do this with a full size one :)
The lighting is great and the exposure seems spot on. The stand wasn't an obvious scale item for me but I read a lot more into the image now. Sounds like you have an impressive collection. Have a great weekend

Hi Mandy, I had no idea this was a model until I read the comments although I thought you must have an impressive studio to be able to do this with a full size one :)
The lighting is great and the exposure seems spot on. The stand wasn't an obvious scale item for me but I read a lot more into the image now. Sounds like you have an impressive collection. Have a great weekend

Thanks very much, I wish I did have a studio. And as much as I love my real motorbike it looks nothing like any off my models.

Close - I was waiting to get on to the laptop before commenting as I thought the mobile was doing the image justice. I was right ! WOW really detailed looks like a real bike up close. Great colours.

If you keep posting this quickly you're going to make everyone else look like their slacking ;-)

Back