weekly Mandy's first 52 challenge 2014 week 52 added and all finished now

Great shot and fitting for the theme. Nice blue eye there.
I tried shooting an eye once, I don't think I had the patience to do it properly or well, so Kudos to you.

A really tricky shot to take, so well done for giving it a go. Looks like you got a good result as well.

Great shot and fitting for the theme. Nice blue eye there.
I tried shooting an eye once, I don't think I had the patience to do it properly or well, so Kudos to you.

A really tricky shot to take, so well done for giving it a go. Looks like you got a good result as well.

Thanks for the comments chaps much appreciated

Quick out the blocks again Mandy (y)
On theme but I feel it needs a little something else to lift it beyond a straight shot.
Maybe a different angle or perhaps an interesting catchlight?

Good work though, it can't have been easy :D

Quick out the blocks again Mandy (y)
On theme but I feel it needs a little something else to lift it beyond a straight shot.
Maybe a different angle or perhaps an interesting catchlight?

Good work though, it can't have been easy :D

Thanks for the comments, it wasn't easy and I don't know how to make it exciting, so for me it's very much post and be dammed.

As already said Mandy, good detail and lighting. im not sure if the white balance is a tad cool but that could very well be the monitor im using at the min :)

Well done on getting this difficult shot. I know how difficult it is because I've tried unsuccessfully!

Sense - I know the WB has been mentioned already and you say you're on a calibrated monitor, but it looks off to me too. Did you take this with the built-in flash? I think the lighting really lets it down and also, there are things you could have done in PP to improve it. I appreciate that it's not an easy thing to do to take a picture of your own eye, but if you're struggling to execute the first idea you try to shoot, you could always give yourself a couple more days to come up with something different. You're pretty much always the first out the gates on a Friday evening and although that in itself is impressive, I think you would sometimes benefit from allowing yourself a bit more time. It's not a race ;)

Sense - I know the WB has been mentioned already and you say you're on a calibrated monitor, but it looks off to me too. Did you take this with the built-in flash? I think the lighting really lets it down and also, there are things you could have done in PP to improve it. I appreciate that it's not an easy thing to do to take a picture of your own eye, but if you're struggling to execute the first idea you try to shoot, you could always give yourself a couple more days to come up with something different. You're pretty much always the first out the gates on a Friday evening and although that in itself is impressive, I think you would sometimes benefit from allowing yourself a bit more time. It's not a race ;)

I used my flash gun for lighting, and i don't treat it as a race. Thanks for the taking the time to look and comment.

I find myself agreeing with what Nathalie has said. I've never tried this type of shot but have read a few times on TP how hit and miss it can be when it's your own eye.

Well here we are onto week 8 and the theme ending, and i am late out the gates with my posting. But i sat on my hands so to speak so that i could try and think of something for this theme, and i have to say after several headaches later i have only managed to come up with one thing. So today i took both my cameras with me to see what i could find that would fit the theme. The idea i came up with was to shoot some new life appearing on a pussy willow tree as my interpretation of winter is " ENDING " and spring has arrived, mind you i am not sure if the image needs a bit of a crow bar to fit the theme. The image was taken on my 400D with my 18-55 mm lens with my raynox 150 attached, as always i thank every one for looking and taking the time to comment.

Winter is " ENDING " spring is arriving

Ending
by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Lets hope your right, good image Mandy (y) winter ending fits the theme well and this is a good sign springs just around the corner.

Possibly a bit more dof, I have a raynox 250, if the 150 is owt like, getting more isn't easy, :)

...i am late out the gates with my post...

Hmmm, not sure this counts as late out of the gate :) often taking a little longer can pay dividends.

I can see where you are coming from and although ending can be seen, I feel beginning is a more apt description. I can see some nice detail in the slither that is in focus...always an issue with macro....but, as said above, a slightly wider DOF would have helped.

Unless you are happy with contrast and colour I think a quick edit to make it 'pop' would work well.

Cheers.

Lets hope your right, good image Mandy (y) winter ending fits the theme well and this is a good sign springs just around the corner.

Possibly a bit more dof, I have a raynox 250, if the 150 is owt like, getting more isn't easy, :)

Thank you for taking the time to look and comment, and yes using the raynox 150 can prove tricky on the dof front.

Hmmm, not sure this counts as late out of the gate :) often taking a little longer can pay dividends.

I can see where you are coming from and although ending can be seen, I feel beginning is a more apt description. I can see some nice detail in the slither that is in focus...always an issue with macro....but, as said above, a slightly wider DOF would have helped.

Unless you are happy with contrast and colour I think a quick edit to make it 'pop' would work well.

Cheers.

Thanks for taking the time to view, I was in autofocus mode with the raynox and that can be tricky. As I was holding the branch in my left hand to stop it from moving. As for the final colours I was aiming for a natural finish to it, but also to see what crit I'd get from here, And do an edit based on that. I also forgot to mention the image is cropped in to remove some of the dead space I had at the LHS of the frame.

Last edited:
Hi Mandy, works for me theme wise "a sign that winter is ending" thought about doing something similar myself
I like the light hitting the furry bits of the bud but the rest of the bud as Andy said bit more colour/contrast

I like the picture although the 'ending' bit has been pushed a bit since without your explanation it wouldn't come across as ending but as Posiview says, more a beginning. I hope your sentiment about Spring coming turns out correct and soon.

I like the picture although the 'ending' bit has been pushed a bit since without your explanation it wouldn't come across as ending but as Posiview says, more a beginning. I hope your sentiment about Spring coming turns out correct and soon.

Thanks for taking the time to view and comment I admit it does need a crow bar to make it fit the theme. I just really struggled for inspiration and ideas for this theme.

Thanks for taking the time to view and comment I admit it does need a crow bar to make it fit the theme. I just really struggled for inspiration and ideas for this theme.

Eight weeks in to my first 52 challenge and I am learning almost as much about humans as I am about photography. This particular theme has been brilliant for me (even if the photography is a little so-so at times) even now I have at least ten more ideas for the theme 'ending' -- I hope it comes round again as a re-shoot -- and yet I see others struggle with this or another subject. 'Mineral' was bad for me, I had an idea about using the word broken down so as to include 'mine' but that was a straw-clutching moment that I failed to grab.

I am enjoying this new outlook on my photography though, keeps me alert in my old age.

It does fit the theme, lighting is nice and tend to agree that a touch more DOF would have been beneficial.

I'm in agreement with some of the comments above on this one. A bit more DoF would have emphasised the lovely white hairs on this bud. I like the composition with the branch coming from the bottom left corner. Ending vs beginning? I'm happy that it fits the theme.

Back