weekly Mandy's first 52 challenge 2014 week 52 added and all finished now

Beautiful image, well composed and I especially like the way in which the contrast between the dark BG at the top and the light on the white hairs seems to emphasise the feeling of the bud emerging from winter's end.

I had a similar idea using a bunch of crocuses, which I eventually rejected in favour of another shot for purely sentimental reasons, but after seeing your excellent take on the same idea, I'm glad I did!

Beautiful image, well composed and I especially like the way in which the contrast between the dark BG at the top and the light on the white hairs seems to emphasise the feeling of the bud emerging from winter's end.

I had a similar idea using a bunch of crocuses, which I eventually rejected in favour of another shot for purely sentimental reasons, but after seeing your excellent take on the same idea, I'm glad I did!

Thanks very much for your lovely comments and taking the time to look much appreciated.

Its all been mentioned but I thought I would just like to say that I love the backlighting on this.

Theres been some far more dubious links to the themes than this o_O
I think it fits fine and well done on not shooting out the gate so quickly. I like this theres a nice subtleness about the shot with the BG nicely blurred (y)

Oh and well done on the quitting smoking!:clap::clap::clap: I did it a little over 2 years ago and have paid for all my camera equipment with the savings (y)

Its all been mentioned but I thought I would just like to say that I love the backlighting on this.

Thank you fro dropping by.

HI Mandy I quite like what you have done here the crowbar comment did make me smile :)

Thanks for the comments.

Theres been some far more dubious links to the themes than this o_O
I think it fits fine and well done on not shooting out the gate so quickly. I like this theres a nice subtleness about the shot with the BG nicely blurred (y)

Oh and well done on the quitting smoking!:clap::clap::clap: I did it a little over 2 years ago and have paid for all my camera equipment with the savings (y)

Thanks for the comments and for taking the time to look, i feel a tad healthier now for having stopped this time for good been smoking on and off since i was 14 not good at all.

nice backlighting on ending..... might have been tempted to just pick of the bud behind the main one, and maybe even the (little) bit of green in front of it, as that being OOF is a tad distracting.

But the detail on the main bud is great, and i love the light coming through the furry bits.

DoF is a little shallow as mentioned but it fits the theme, nice shot overall.

Ending: I particularly like the lighting here. Not to harsh to blow out the delicate bud, but ample enough to highlight (or is that backlight) the delicate hairs. GOod job Mandy.

(ps - prefer the original version. For me the re-edit just has that look about it that its been messed around with too much, loosing some of the clarity of the original)

Positive: A nice idea you've had there. Find myself wanting this to be straight on rather than a tad off from the side as is.....Like the way the lighting accentuates the tops of the batteries. (y)

Last edited:
Quite a nice shot for 'positive' Mandy - nice DOF and I like the way the light has hit the positive parts of the batteries and left the main bodys slightly darkened... works well (y)

Quick off the mark again, the positive terminals of batteries laid out in a plus sign, couldn't get more on theme. I like the idea but find the image a little dark in places, the lighting over the terminals is good though.

Ending: I particularly like the lighting here. Not to harsh to blow out the delicate bud, but ample enough to highlight (or is that backlight) the delicate hairs. GOod job Mandy.

(ps - prefer the original version. For me the re-edit just has that look about it that its been messed around with too much, loosing some of the clarity of the original)

Positive: A nice idea you've had there. Find myself wanting this to be straight on rather than a tad off from the side as is.....Like the way the lighting accentuates the tops of the batteries. (y)

Thanks very much for looking and commenting, for ending I prefer the first shot I did my self.
As for positive I took a few shots from different angles to see what I liked best.

Hey Mandy :)

Well... I'm going to echo Andy here, my first thoughts when I see this image was I think you are sooooo more capable than this, although having said that, the shot you have done is clean, very well lined up, and I like how you have lit the tips of the cells :)

And as ever... Super quick !!!

Hi Mandy,
Quick off the mark again this week (y)
A literal take on the theme but it works. I agree with the comments above re it needing a little more light.
I would be tempted with a square crop too.

Good work though (y)

Hey Mandy :)

Well... I'm going to echo Andy here, my first thoughts when I see this image was I think you are sooooo more capable than this, although having said that, the shot you have done is clean, very well lined up, and I like how you have lit the tips of the cells :)

And as ever... Super quick !!!

Thank you for your comments, I agree I can do better just don't know what to do. I will think on it over the weekend.

Well done first out again! bang on theme.
Possibly a bit more light on the right, I think that its a bit darker, and a tad less crop at the bottom it is just a bit tighter than the top (y)(y)

Yes I agree it is a bit tight at the bottom, but that's just how it fell Into shot on the camera. I only cropped into the image from the sides, I will have a reshoot over the next couple of days.

I like your positive idea with the batteries - well set up, obviously well on theme. Crit would be that you've lost a bit of focus on the top two batteries, I don't know if this was intentional as the others seems sharp... Maybe a tad under exposed too.

Nonetheless I like the idea and as always your quick off the mark, well done (y)

I like your positive idea with the batteries - well set up, obviously well on theme. Crit would be that you've lost a bit of focus on the top two batteries, I don't know if this was intentional as the others seems sharp... Maybe a tad under exposed too.

Nonetheless I like the idea and as always your quick off the mark, well done (y)

Thanks Simon for looking I was aiming to have the first couple of batteries sharp and in focus and the rest blur out nicely but it didn't work for me.

Hi Mandy

Ending.....can see begining more but can see where you're coming from....plant life starting to bloom heralding the end of winter. Think I prefer the edit , a bit punchier & a better crop :)....always tricky trying to hold a subject still with one hand & shot with the other

Back